• This topic has 32 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sv.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Your brake rotor cleaners/solvents are?
  • sv

Used IPA in the past, somebody suggested Mineralised Methylated Spirits but they contain:

(b) in the case of mineralised methylated spirits, with every 90 parts by volume of spirits there shall be mixed 9.5 parts by volume of wood naphtha and 0.5 parts by volume of crude pyridine, and to the resulting mixture there shall be added mineral naphtha (petroleum oil) in the proportion 7.5 litres to every 2,000 litres of the mixture and synthetic organic dyestuff (methyl violet) in the proportion 3.0 grammes to every 2,000 litres of the mixture;

doesn't sound like it could be used – petroleum oil?

uplink
    Free Member

Meths is fine

after all it's only a bicycle, not the space shuttle 🙂

Soap & hot water is also very good

mollyiom
    Free Member

I put my rotors in the dish washer.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Disk brake cleaner from the local car spares place. Does the job and gets you high if used liberaly indoors. 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Don't do it unless the disc is contaminated. Don't use anything with any residue. Discs have a microscopic layer of pad material deposited on them and you don't want to clean it off if you want your brake to work properly.

Slogo
    Free Member

ive never cleaned a rotor! cloth to wipe the dry dirt of the alloy spider after a hose. when i brake the pads clean the rotor!

shakeythejakey
    Free Member

I've used meths and surgical spirit before thinkin they'd be fine but i'm pretty sure there not: had to change the pads shortly afterwards!

I use car disc brake cleaner now which is potent 😯 but does the job nicely 😀

I can have a look at the tin and find out exactly what it is if ya want…

mattp
    Free Member

what TandemJeremy said – i only clean the rotors with soapy water and a brush. if you inadvertantly spray chin lube/wd40 on them they should be cleaned with a fast evaporating solvent – meths isn't perfect for this but will be ok..

bighendo
    Free Member

i`ve never ever cleaned a rotor either!
    aerosol disk brake cleaner from the local car spares place IS the stuff to use,
    but don't do it unless the disc is contaminated with chain lube etc

winstonsmith

why do you feel the need to clean them?

jond
    Free Member

…and definitely *not* white spirit, it'll leave a deposit.

scaredypants

wet mud, or IPA – whichever's closest to hand (and a bit on whether there's oily kak on the rotor)

Reluctant
    Free Member

Does India Pale Ale really work? 😕

oldfart

Hope use meths and not for drinking !

PROLINE85
    Free Member

IPA occasionally.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Blow torch

scaredypants

Reluctant – Member
    Does India Pale Ale really work?

course! – sit in the garage & drink some, then realise the discs are largely self-cleaning

bassspine
    Free Member

a customer came in complaining about brake problems. She'd been 'cleaning' her disks with lemon peel of all things. 😯

specializedneeds

Disk brake cleaner from the local car spares place. Does the job and gets you high if used liberaly indoors.

Read that's a bad idea: car disc cleaner contains a rust inhibitor that stays on the disc after cleaning. This is quickly burned off with the pressure/heat of car pads but it's a bit different on a bike where it will take a lot longer to disappear and will impair braking.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not all disc brake cleaners contain a residue / lube / rust inhibitor – some do and some dont

specializedneeds

Cheers 🙂
    Never actually felt the need to clean the discs on a car or read the can of cleaner!

BigJohn

Just water for me. Or a bit of Cannock Chase spray.

RustyNissanPrairie

big tin of xylene-the stuff that makes marker pens smell so good, cleans discs well when I end up squirting everywhere..

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

gin

Matta
    Free Member

Full fat coka cola will degrees anything. then rinse with H2o

jimthesaint

Halfords sell their own brand 'electrical contact cleaner', it's a solvent based degreaser so it blasts away any grease then evaporates. It's £3.99 for a 400ml can so it's significantly cheaper than the disc-brake cleaners.

oldgit
    Free Member

Automotive disc brake cleaner, sprayed on wet parts gently brush in and wash off.
    I do that after almost every ride. It also cleans the cassette and mech as well as removing the residue around the pads.
    It also seems to make the parts last longer. Then again I'm a bit OCD and like to ride a well kept and clean bike everytime.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When I used to have Hope brakes, they seemed to be very fickle about even a small amount of contamination on them.

An LBS mechanic told me to take the disc off, douse it in meths, and set it alight. Twice.

This really does work. Well, it did for me. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I stopped cleaning mine with anything apart from water ages ago, and if anything my brakes have worked better since.

nickc

Soapy water when I wash the bike. Miraculously I'm still alive

HTTP404
    Free Member

A good one to try I would have thought would be nail varnish remover.
    It's basically acetone and leaves no residue.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

its basicly acetone, well 90% acetone, the other 10% is the nice smelling residue, best avoided.

soapy water here, or if they've been left in a tool box for a while, the dish washer. Got some car wheel cleaner which was 99p from somewhere and does a good job of getting rid of cak arround the dereilieurs/chainstay etc.

sv

I normally would clean the discs with soemthing smelly between pad changes or after a ham fisted bleeding session 😉 Soapy water at all other times. Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Your brake rotor cleaners/solvents are?’ is closed to new replies.