• This topic has 85 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Your biggest eBay failure?!
  • luke
    Free Member

Best sold a mobile phone years ago and a Russian buyer wanted to buy it, I considered it a risk so gave him a stupidly high shipping cost which he came back and asked if I would take western union, so I did cashed it in so I had the readies and shipped to Russia made more on the shipping than the phone.

Also sold 5 alloy wheels the buyer drove from Wales to Dorset said he’d only really wanted one and said would I give him a discount if he just took 1, he suggested 50% if he could pick the best one so I agreed, relished the 4 and sold them for more than the 5 had sold for the first time around.

Worst bought a massive aquarium with all the bits at a cost of lots, and a huge amount of aquatic rocks again at a large cost. Then we moved before I’d even got around to putting water in it let alone fish, the new house didn’t have the space for it.
    Sold the aquarium for a tenner the bloke had to come back 3 times to collect it as it wouldn’t fit in his fiesta or his mates astra third time he came in a transit can.
    The rocks sold for 99p to a lovely couple who drove all the way down from Cambridge to Dorset to collect them, paid a £1 wouldn’t accept the penny chance and then gave me 8 cans of lager as they felt guilty at paying a £1.

molgrips
    Free Member

I once bought something popular that had been typoed so didn’t come up in searches, but forget what it was.. I know, cool story.. but moral of the story check for listings with typos..!

mudshark
    Free Member

If I want to sell something of highish value but not sure many will bid I start at a highish price and keep re-listing until gone.

Win: I’ve bought a few top turbos (Elite RealAxiom/RealPower) in the Spring when no-one wants them, used them for a winter or two then sold them early winter for £100s profit.

Lose: Bought a set of wheels with newish tyres for my Puma for quite a high amount as desperate when I bust one hitting a pothole assuming I’d be able to use the others when my current tyres worse out. Ended up barely using the car for the next few years as working in London so travelling by train. Then had a baby so changed the Puma and struggled to sell the 3 remaining wheels.

orangespyderman

I once sold a (old, very tatty) mobile home on eBay for £100 quid (or so) – buyer to arrange transport. Measure it up, took lots of detailed photos, including where it was, and even cut a tree down to improve access.

Guy came, paid but never took the damn thing. Still have it, still must get it taken to pieces and carted off to the tip some day 😥

HansRey

haven’t sold anything on ebay in 5 years. But as a teen, i renovated fibreglass kayaks and sold them on ebay. Made a good profit on each one, which was reinvested into better kayaks. The last one was a surf kayak which i brought back from an Emaus in France. Painted it bright yellow and then painted a Fyffes logo onto the side. Used it for the summer and sold it before going to uni.

It looked a little like this…

Sold some bike kit recently on a national equivalent to ebay. Sold a new headset for 15 euros, including postage. The postage was 12euros!

mrjmt
    Free Member

Listed my canon EOS 60D last night. Quickly realised I’d actually listed it as a Canon D60.
    Someone had bid so couldn’t edit it, had to cancel and relist. Glad I noticed!

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Your biggest eBay failure?!’ is closed to new replies.