• This topic has 39 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Your biggest day out.
  • zippykona

Youve got out of bed in the morning what’s the furthest away you’ve been from home and still slept in your bed that night?
    Flying, driving , cycling I don’t care.
    I once motorbiked down to visit my parents in Devon for the day which was a 400 mile round trip.
    I guess you could get up fly to India and just about get home in time for bed.
    Over to you…

MSP

Flew from Manchester to Frankfurt and back in a day for a job interview.

Harry_the_Spider

Durban.

chvck
    Free Member

Probably Farnborough from Aberystwyth for a job interview, but I took the train. Then did an all nighter at a house party on my return (was at my house). That was a long day and, no, didn’t get the job.

SaxonRider

When I was 18, I drove someone from Winnipeg, Canada to Fargo, USA so they could catch a plane.

360kms each way.

I left in the evening, and was back in time for school the next morning.

The caffeine pills I took meant that I could hardly see through my eyelids, but that my legs wouldn’t stop shaking.

PMK2060

I used to regularly drive from Barnsley to Liverpool (100miles) and then fly to Belfast and back the same day.

BigJohn

A few years back we picked the kids up from school in Stafford and headed south. Mrs BigJohn and I shared the driving and at 10:30 next morning I nonchalantly drove into the multi storey car park in Les Arcs and promptly ripped the 3 Burton snowboards off the roof.

mcj78
    Free Member

Glasgow to Bristol & back – driving, soul crushing 😡

pingu66
    Free Member

Widnes to Aberdeen, regularly London and back.

Have done Paris a few times from home as well as Stockholm and Amsterdam.

Worst trip ever was Manchester Joburg 3 consecutive weekend, out on Thursday, land Friday, work Saturday, fly home Sunday, land Monday.As well as being away all week in the UK. Just wanted to die.

rwamartin
    Free Member

Back in the 80’s – round trip to Malta from London on familiarisation flight in the cockpit of a Tristar. 1 hour on the tarmac and back again.

ourmaninthenorth

In the UK: Banbury to Durham and back (driving) at the start of every university term (drop off my belongings and return my mum’s car – then got on train to Durham next day).

Out of the UK: Manchester to Frankfurt and back for work.

Neither were especially arduous.

somafunk

Earlier on this year i drove a mate from Kircudbright to Heathrow then straight back home, 730 odd miles but i was driving his Audi Q7 ABT so it was quite an easy, comfortable drive, i wouldn’t wish to do it in my 13yr old Ford Connect van.

Biggest day out on the bike and back home was Kircudbright – Ayr – Stranraer – Kirkcudbright which was 170miles on my single speed road bike (doh!), this was 15 years ago on one of the hottest days of the year and by the time i got back home i was suffering from heat stroke, severely dehydrated and not making much sense at all, i ended up on a drip and a 24hr stay in our cottage hospital under observation so technically not back to my own bed. I only popped out in the morning for a wee 30 mile spin but i felt really strong so i thought i’d just carry on and see how far i could get – not one of my wiser days out.

tomhoward

*Awaits CFH with ‘New York’ post*

RIP Concorde

Rather boringly, think mine is Harrogate to that London for work

km79
    Free Member

Glasgow to Bristol & back – driving, soul crushing

I did that once at short notice to attend a driving risk assessment course thingy for the top 100 at risk drivers in our company (based on mileage done per year). No-one batted an eyelid that I drove all that way there and back for that particular course subject.

mrmo
    Free Member

not me, but one of the managers i had, had to go to a site meeting in Hong Kong, got up, flew out, something like 1hour on site then flew back to London.

tonyg2003

Yep can’t do NYC and back in a day any more without Concorde. I had a old Prof who used to do it 3-4times a year to examine Medic Consultant exams in NYC. I did a “day” trip earlier this month but you need to overnight.

I’ve done Rome and Athens plenty of times in the day for work but that’s hardly as tiring as driving.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Back when Bolton were in the Waffa Cup we did most of the away days in a 24 hour period.

At the airport for an early am flight, dumped in some foreign shithole by dinner, pissed/sobered up twice in one day, watch the match then straight back to the airport and back home.

Of the top of my head we did Germany, France, Potugal, Spain, Turkey and Bulgaria. A couple may have crept over 24 hours but weren’t far off.

njee20
    Free Member

Awaits CFH with ‘New York’ post

I doubt even he’s done that – BA004 left JFK at 12.00 IIRC, giving less than 3 hours in New York. Subsonic overnight flight made more sense for coming home. In First obvs. The only worthwhile usage of Concorde for a day trip was if you were couriering documents (at least 2 people were doing that when I went on it). I guess the rise of email killed that a bit.

I did Lapland for a (Christmas) day in 1997, Ivalo is apparently 1503 miles from London.

mefty
    Free Member

You could do a day trip to NY on Concorde – was quite common on big deals.

MoreCashThanDash

Lapland to see Father Christmas. Felt like a festive remake of The Longest Day.

cobrakai

Glasgow to Birmingham. Mate phones me at 1am sounding pissed. Couldn’t understand a word he was saying. Hed left with the rest of the company a month ago to Afghan so I was confused why he was back on r&r so early. I eventually hung up only to be woken up by another mate phoning me.

Turns out he’d been in a snatch land-rover that went over an ied killing two lads doing the top cover. He was in sely oak full of morphine, hence sounding pissed.

Drove down for 1 hour of visiting. It was a long drive fearing thee worst. He’s got more metal in him than a T1000 but now works back to back seasons in Japan/NZ as a ski instructor.

ton

bit different mine, all pleasure based.
    me and the lad did this a few times.
    Leeds to Dalbeattie. ride the trail. drive to Ae. ride the trail. drive back to Leeds in time to pick up a takeaway for supper.

good fun.

Harry_the_Spider

I wasn’t kidding when I said Durban.

Late flight down, meeting, late flight back. All done in about 30 hours.

Houns

I flew to Sydney for NYE. Was in Oz for only 24 hours

metalheart
    Free Member

Usually manage at least 1 400+ miler on the motorbike (and that’s A and back roads, not dualler/motorway) a year all pleasure.

For instance, done lunches at Plockton, Lochgoilhead, Applecross & Lochinver (from Aberdeen way) as day trips.

12/13 hours start to finish usually.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Driving London to Lockerbie load up a Luton and drive back.

Plane. Bournemouth to Stavanger Norway in a day. Only time in a private plane and it was a view into a different world. Drive to the airport for 07:00, through a random gate, briefing and off. Do the same in reverse and home for 19:30

giant_scum
    Free Member

Driving with a mate for work we drove from Bathgate to Llandudno only for the job at the Telephone Exchange to be cancelled by about 10am so we just drove home again.
    Driving solo Bathgate to Armitage Bridge in a snowstorm did a T-mobile cab swap then started the drive home about 8pm, not a good day senso of humour failure about 4pm!
    By train Edinburgh to London Kings Cross then tube over to Guys Hospital to meet somebody for a site meeting on the rooftop(stunning views) then home again.

Bregante

In a previous job (conference and events production). Drove from Manchester to North London on a Sunday evening to do an overnight get-in for an event the next morning. Part way through, the boss realised that vital pieces were missing from the set which were in our locked offices and we had the keys.

Drove back to Manchester at 2am and straight back to London before working a 10 hr shift back stage.

We were invited to the end of event party as usual but I declined and passed out in my hotel room. The event was for Rimmel Cosmetics and was attended by 400 beauticians. I was in my 20’s and single. I believe it was a corker of a party.

chiefgrooveguru

We did a day trip from Brighton to Venice some years back. Felt a bit surreal waking up the next day!

nickdavies

Plenty of long driving days with work, 6/7am start and 11ish return wouldn’t be abnormal a few times a year. 3/4/5 hours each way to bike/kayak/climb etc aren’t unheard of.

I drove from Oslo to Birmingham in one stint a few years ago – a lot more to the story than that but aside from food stops and an hours kip on the ferry from Dunkirk it was done straight through. Left at something like 9am and got into bed mid afternoon the next day. Its made the alps trips since 8-9hours driving solo seem practically easy!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

London and back driving from stirling. Did bristol as well there and back to buy a mini…

legalalien
    Free Member

Last week I did a round trip from Seattle, Washington to Little Rock, Arkansas in under 24 hours for a 3 hour meeting. About 4000-odd miles.

Doesn’t beat Durban though, by a long shot.

WildHunter2009

Fairly regularly do return day trips to some of the pilbara mines, probably around 2600 km round trip, 3 hrs flying and maybe 4 hrs driving. Can be pretty brutal days especially in the summer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The extra flight in and out of Tassie does make things a bit easier as it’s a nearly impossibly to do some of the manic out and backs. Did Tas/Melbourne/Brisbane from the airport to Meeting 1, lunch, Meeting 2 that dragged on until about 6pm been up about 3am for the first flight, debrief then dinner. Next day meetings in the morning then fly home to be back at about 10pm. Hell of a couple of days… It does work best if your going east – somebody worked out you could do the 6am flight and be in Perth working by 10am (then useless by mid afternoon) and met some Auckland consultants who were day tripping Sydney

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀

Sadly not old enough to have done Concorde.

Longest for me is probably Seattle. Day flight, arrive at hotel, sleep. Get up, driven to client site, speak to group for about an hour, get driven back to airport, fly home.

Have done similar to Las Vegas as well, but had time for lunch on that trip!

Without an overnight stay? Either fkying to St Gaudens for an hour and a half or Madrid for lunch.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Arbroath from Edinburgh, about a 30 year travel back in time.

Flaperon

Sharm el Sheikh a d back in a day used to be my bread and butter. 4850 miles round trip including the drive to the airport.

senorj

I’ve done West Cumbria to London and back a few times.750 mile round trip
    Once, I had to get to Brighton, from Glasgow ,by car. Took forever. 😥

willard

Did an hour South-West of Dublin from Cambridge and back in a day for my Friend’s kids’ christening. That was a fun drive, flight, drive. I think it was a 3am start and a 10pm finish by the end of it.

br
    Free Member

Furthest in a day:
    – Buckinghamshire to just south of Edinburgh return, about 800 miles
    – Flying-wise, Heathrow to Budapest return probably.

Furthest in a week, London to Sydney return.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Your biggest day out.’ is closed to new replies.