Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Your bestest ever, most remembered Christmas pressies when you were a kid
  • organic355
    Free Member

epicsteve
    Free Member

+1 for the ZX81.

Enjoyed equally a few years later when I got a Spectrum 48k.

Another remembered ZX81 pressie here as well.

I also moved onto a Spectrum later. I built my own though – I worked at the weekends in my uncles garage which had a plastics re-cycling place behind it. They got a pile of junk in from Timex in Dundee (who assembled Sinclair kit) and the manager asked if I could do anything with it. I managed to build about half a dozen working Spectrums from all the crap they got, gave one to the manager, one to my uncle, kept one for myself and sold the remainder. Quite a lot of cash back in the days I was a teenager.

Still got the ZX81 and a Spectum up in my loft, along with a couple of BBC Micros.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

http://www.skatehut.co.uk/acatalog/Bigtrak.html?gclid=CKegzrW4p6ICFUcA4wodWUdRSQ

The price now is pretty much what it cost back in the late 70s. If they are selling them again, I'm getting one!

Next best was probably an Atari console, but that was a "shared" present between me & my brothers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trailmonkey

thehustler
    Free Member

thought this was v cool compared to the stunt bike that everyone else had

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Action man tank sticks in my memory. I also had a cracking go-cart as a pre-cursor to bikes.

This was a cracker (but a birthday present):

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My father dressing up ineffectively as Santa Claus, to put presents at the end of the bed.

Early realisation that it was all just a fairy-tale.

Best present ever. 😉

therealhoops
    Free Member

my folks will recall this as the quietest chrimbo ever

myheadsashed

My Raleigh Grifter thirty something years later and I still use grip shift 😉

Then my GT pro race BMX

organic355
    Free Member

This was a cracker (but a birthday present):

Did they buy it for you to grow into?

hug
    Free Member

Christmas 1968..Johnny seven (one man army)

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

grifter, best pressie by a mile!

_tom_
    Free Member

Gameboy Color + GB Camera with printer 😀

Bregante

Raleigh Medale circa xmas 1981

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Raleigh Bomber in Raleigh colours on my bedroom walls… and that I had wished for it every night and dreamed about it and that I had pretty much spraffed my kecks about the Bomber for at least 2 years..

I got one of those and loved it. Best pressie ever was a Sony separates system as a shared present with my brother – he still has it now some 28 years later.

Bregante

and I've still got this somewhere, in its box with the instructions and the little silver "pen" to operate those tiny buttons

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 (or should at be +2?) for ZX Spectrums and Commodore Amigas.

I also had a Raleigh Winner too, complete with a whole five gears – although only four ever worked.

matthewjb
    Free Member

This:

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Did they buy it for you to grow into?"

Oh yes. They couldn't afford to get a new one every year. I recall it was a struggle initially but you grow like a weed at that age and it wasn't that long before it was too small.

Don't know what happened to the cute kid though.

Nick

rockhopper70

Four lane scalextric set….being one of four sons (the youngest) that was it for christmas and boxing day and then some. Fantastic set and disposed of when I thought I knew better for minimal money. Now buying peices afresh for my lad!!!

Mackem

Best and worse were the same. It was this dead good remote control helicoper thing. As soon as it was opened my dad and grandad had to "test" it for a few hours before my sister got her hands on it and wrecked it. I didnt get a go. My parents couldnt get it replaced so i ended up with more bloody meccano. ****.

SST
    Free Member

Can't find a picture on line but Christmas '75 – A brand new Raleigh Olympus road bike. Red frame, blue "ultra light" mudgaurds (which I later cut down to "mini racing mudgaurds" 😯 ), 5 gears. Beautiful. And I also got front and rear lights. Front light was grey and slid onto the Raliegh light bracket on the headset and had a big black switch on top, rear light was samew as one on bike a few posts up – took the "stuck together double battery pack" IIRC.

🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

My first new bike when I was about 8 was pretty cool but by far the most memorable was when I was about 10 I was given a Panasonic radio. For some reason this present has stuck in my mind for the last 30 odd years!
    I can still remember the new 'electronic something' smell and the squeak of the polystyrene packing as I unwrapped it. That radio stayed with me for years and it was used pretty much every day, usually listening to Radio Luxemburg in bed as I fell asleep 8)

Many other pressies have been and gone, mostly more expensive, but that radio will stick with me as my favourite for a long time!

Harry_the_Spider

It was the 48K one too… none of your 16K shite.

Cletus
    Free Member

Let's get serious now. Introducing…the Action Man Assault Tower…

I had one of those too. It was left a bit too close to the gas fire one day and melted a bit but was still usable. I had the Meccaono army kit and a Spectrum 48k as well.

When I was 12 I got one of these for Xmas

Feinwerkbau Sport 124 – cost £90 in 1981 – I loved plinking with it in the garden.

BillyWhizz
    Free Member

sharkbait – I got a cassette tape recorder when I was 15 (1978) which I used for years and still remember clearly. It was a black Toshiba, single speaker, top loading and it had a "counter" (tiny dial numbers that didn't always turn) and took 6 batteries.

I used to put it on loud in my haversack so I could listen to music while cycling to the shops!

glenh
    Free Member

That pneumatic lego above reminded me of this (I had a pneumatic set too but can't remember exactly what it was).:

Also tuned into a space shuttle. 🙂

eckinspain
    Free Member

Spectrum +2. I remembered I had been asking for it for ages but deep down knew it was too expensive so had given up on getting it.
    Went mental when I tore off the paper! Mum had to keep saying "it's for your birthday too!"

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Looking back i was spoilt rotten as a kid…

Evel Knievel stunt bike
    Action Man Assault Tower
    " " Scorpion Tank
    " " Helicopter/Plane/Boat/Car convertible thingy
    " " 125mm Howitzer
    " " Jeep
    " " six-wheeled thing with crane on back
    " " Submarine
    Plus about 15 actual Action Men – i was better equipped than the bloody army!

brick
    Free Member

Scalextric Formula 1 set in ooh about 1981 (i was 10). It came with a yellow Renault Elf and a March Ford six wheeler. My dad came home half cut from the pub late xmas eve, let me open it early and we stayed up and played it all night.

jimster
    Free Member

1972 or so – Scalextric, keep getting one every so often just for a bit of fun.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Your bestest ever, most remembered Christmas pressies when you were a kid’ is closed to new replies.