Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Your bestest ever, most remembered Christmas pressies when you were a kid
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

My parents didn't have loads of cash. Dad was a self-employed hod carrier (often rained off in winter) and mum a sewing machinist. But they certainly made an effort at Christmas. When I was 10 I got this:

And when I was 11 I got this:

Both cost a lot of dosh back in the day, 1980 and 1981 and I absolutely treasured them. Will never forget the feeling of glee and excitement when I got my mitts on these fabulous presents.

What did you lot get for Christmas as kids?

headfirst
    Free Member

Raleigh Grifter

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Spesh Hardrock sport in purple. I'd been riding across the South Downs on a Falcon 10 speed racer up until that point and that Hardrock was the most awesome thing ever. I polished it every day, rode it to school and from Eastbourne to Cuckmere every weekend. Sadly the U-lock was cut and the bike stolen about a year later from outside a friends house. I was devestated. I think I was 13 or so at the time.

andytherocketeer

TCR (Total Control Racing) slotless truck racing set. Not entirely sure why the word "Control" featured in the name 😕 They'd only go round corners on the outside lane due to centrifugal force, and if you tried it at more than half speed the trucks (complete with trailers) would fling across the room 🙂

Oh and got one of these… (and I can *still* remember the theme tune for Dizzy)

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Transistor radio when i was 7
    Claude Butler Majestic when i was 13.

Awesomes. Rock'n'roll'n'bikes.

Bunnyhop

My first 2 wheeled bike at the age of 6.
    Father Christmas skulked into the room ( smelling of beer), tripped over my sister's toys, so I got to see him place the treasured present by the window.

From that day on I was hooked.

satsoma
    Free Member

Red BMX that Mum had hidden behind the curtains 🙂

I learnt to ride without stabilisers the very same day…

jon1973
    Free Member

+1 for the ZX81.

Enjoyed equally a few years later when I got a Spectrum 48k.

Those were the days.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Let's get serious now. Introducing…the Action Man Assault Tower…

Not me in the pic, just googled it. The assault tower came with a zip line & everything. It was ace. Until my best mate fell backwards onto it & broke it.

RealMan
    Free Member

2 or maybe 3 years ago my dad took me cycling on Christmas day. 60 miles around London, on road. Christmas lunch was a few sandwiches that had been in our back pockets for a couple of hours, under an archway, in the rain, next to a tramp. Its a tough ride, cause of how London is, all the stopping and starting, means you get really knackered and it takes hours longer then a normal 60 miles would.

It may sound weird, but its the only Christmas I can really remember.

donsimon
    Free Member

A talking Action Man when I was 5 or 6 😀 , which my sister broke after about ten minutes 😥 .
    Most other presents weren't up to much… 😥

sssimon
    Free Member

ewok village or AT-AT

my nephew plays with them now (although my 11 month old boy is planning a take over bid)

awesome

flip
    Free Member

Tamiya Sand Scorcher, i must have been about 12 😛

I loved it, wish i still had it they go for a fortune now, real cult stuff.

retro83
    Free Member

Manta Force cruiser thingy:

The next year I got an amazing little base thingy to go with it:

HELL YES

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

lunge

An Emmelle Lazer in when I was about 13. I've ridden mountain bikes ever since.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

[img]http://80stoyshop.com/images/mk1tuff.jpg[/img]

That is all!!

yunki
    Free Member

My mum had a significant win on the bingo one year and so informed me that I could choose a brand new bike!! OMG (or whatever the 1983 equivalent was.. ACE! maybe)

Imagine my surprise when I woke up to a fully loaded Raleigh Equipe with 11 gears and an electric siren..
    Somehow the guy in Halfords had disregarded the fact that I had magazine cuttings and pictures of the Raleigh Bomber in Raleigh colours on my bedroom walls… and that I had wished for it every night and dreamed about it and that I had pretty much spraffed my kecks about the Bomber for at least 2 years..

and somehow this Halfrauds bozo had convinced my naieve mother that no young boy would choose a mean and tough functional Bomber over the effete and flimsy and in my eyes completely pointless road race replica..

being the kindhearted and thoroughly grief stricken but dutiful little boy that I was.. I passed off the choking and the burning tears that sprang to my eyes as gratitude.. I sobbed a ridiculously melodramatic thankyou and promptly turned the ridiculous drop handlebars upside down and literally rode the wheels off it time and time again for the next 5 years until my first after school job enabled me to replace it with something more suitable…

The melodramatic and tearful thankyou went down in family history as a sign of my all round goodness.. and I have perpetuated the myth until the truth slipped out during some friendly banter with the old crow a few years ago!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Let's get serious now. Introducing…the Action Man Assault Tower…

serious – LOL, THIS is serious

johnny Seven – wicked, and the white bullets really hurt as well, as my wee brother would testify

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Action Force Headquarters.

Made of card and slotted together, but still amazing.

Shortly after my parents twigged that Action Force was all about men with guns and I didn't get any action force or military related gifts ever again.

"mmmm a book on the wildlife of the serengetti, let's see if it can make an effective helipad for the action force helicopter!"

binners

pedalhead
    Free Member

holy crap, is that legal? (the big gun thing above) I do also have good memories of spud guns and my mate's sister (no, not like that)

Baldysquirt

I don't know how old I was, but I couldn't get to sleep at the end of christmas day knowing I could still be playing with this instead:

retro83
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    being the kindhearted and thoroughly grief stricken but dutiful little boy that I was.. I passed off the choking and the burning tears that sprang to my eyes as gratitude.. I sobbed a ridiculously melodramatic thankyou and promptly turned the ridiculous drop handlebars upside down and literally rode the wheels off it time and time again for the next 5 years until my first after school job enabled me to replace it with something more suitable…

The melodramatic and tearful thankyou went down in family history as a sign of my all round goodness.. and I have perpetuated the myth until the truth slipped out during some friendly banter with the old crow a few years ago!

😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

pedalhead

Johnny Seven – OMA One Man Army

oh and this

except mines was silver, much cooler
    about a dozen men for the ejector seat, all gone by boxing day IIRC

MrsToast
    Free Member

Loved that machine!

glenh
    Free Member

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/car.asp?id=67

Mine also had the uprated independent front suspension kit.
    Still looks awesome today!

samuri
    Free Member

Vertibird. It was brilliant!

This was pretty damn ace too.

But the toy I never got that I always wanted, the one that yearned for with all my heart, was this one.

That my parents didn't get me that toy is almost certainly the reason I'm a social cripple with some very dark thoughts about people.

finbar
    Free Member

OP – that Seiko is great, do you still have it? My bestest ever present was this bad boy:

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

One year I got a pair of boxing gloves and my brother got some roller skates…..we shared them half a pair each.

They were taken off us by lunchtime

cynic-al
    Free Member

Samurai beat me to it with the Evel Kneivel – it was a great toy, I had one.

My mum wouldn't get me a bmx or grifter though 🙁

sobriety
    Free Member

This

The first thing I did was barrel roll it racing my cousins and rip the mirrors off 🙁

and This

Which i do rebuild periodically 🙂

david_r
    Free Member

Mine was the ZX81 also. Fantastic.

10 PRINT "I AM A PROGRAMMER"
    20 GOTO 10
    30 END

Has programming moved on much since then? Just wondered as I'm thinking of a career change and it would be good to get into software.

yossarian
    Free Member

I don't think there are words to adequately describe how cool this was when aged 8. All the kids in the road where outside showing their news toys and I'll never forget the gasps of amazement when I rolled out of the garage on one of these.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I had one of those flight deck thingies where you could launch a plane off the deck of an aircraft carrier, I think I probably broke the catapult mechanism.

After that it was probably one of the first ever Sony Walkmans with Orange headphone covers.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Scalextric, all my rellies scoured the ads in the back of papers & bought me 2nd hand kits … I went from no kit to 150 bits of track & 10 cars in a day…. oh the excitement… then the stress when I was in bed & could hear my Dad & Grandfathers playing it.

Luckily Mum stopped them 🙂

Crell
    Free Member

Samurai, did you steal my toys?
    I loved that helicopter and Evel K.

The other thing I loved was one of these. '84 Pistol Pete. My dad gave it away when I was at uni 😥 Now as rare as the proverbial.

andytherocketeer

@ Gingerbloke (and anyone else interested)

Bigtrak is back in production (along with Stylophone).

0 guesses who knows the bloke who owns/runs Dubreq Ltd. 😉

</blatant advertising> 😉

skiprat
    Free Member

I had the Capture Copter (the one on the left). Looking on the web these were from 1978 so that would mean i was 3 when i got it…..all i know is that it was bloody big and hard for me to pick up. Lasted ages too

organic355
    Free Member

[img]http://www.landoslocker.com/range_rotj/images/ewok_village/ewok_vil_boxed.jpg[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Your bestest ever, most remembered Christmas pressies when you were a kid’ is closed to new replies.