Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Your best chain cleaning device please
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Squirt chain with FS365 after a light water with a hose after each ride. Next ride, finish up, water from hose, squirt FS365 round chain. Do this each ride and you’ll have a chain that doesn’t get dirty, doesn’t hold the dirt and any dirt that does get stuck washes right off. You can also apply a drop of normal chain oil after applying the FS365 if you wish and it still works as well. I’ve not had a gunky caked chain for years and suspect this method (which takes about 20 seconds after giving the bike a wash with a hose) is the least hassle/quickest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wash with water. Rock n roll blue. Wipe chain with towel. Ride bike. Repeat.

Yep, wonder how much longer the devout lube removers get from a chain especially as they remove all the good lube from the middle

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

what a bunch of amateurs.

Ultrasonic bath and isopropyl alcohol/acetone.

Used to do this when I worked in labs, but having just stuck em into ebay for the purposes of this thread I’m amazed how cheap they are now.. 😳

TiRed

Barbieri Tornado chain cleaner works for me. With dry lube. I don’t remove chains to clean – one is 2.5x a standard length.

doodlebug
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

thread-revive.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391125282508
    I bought these a few weeks ago. Mainly so Id have one to take to keep in France where I dont really have a workshop so for a quick chain clean the plan was one of these.

I tried one out for the first time yesterday, and blow me if it didnt work really well.

I use “Gunk” in it which seems like the perfect place to do so. The vessel is only quite small so you dont need to use lots of cleaner in it. I expect a v strong washing up liquid/water mix would work as well.

The cleaners themselves are a bit fiddly, but reasonably solidly made. Once the chain is in, and you havent spilt cleaner everywhere, they work very well and are easy to use.

badbob
    Free Member

park tools chain cleaner with citrus cleaner, clean chain in seconds, or i could faff about and find a jar, or spend loads on a ultra sonic cleaner or go out and buy some diesel….

5L of citrosol is £11, lasted so far , 3 years , chain cleaner is 5+ years old

chain chain means my expensive raceface alloy chain rings laster longer £85 or so for 3……. pisss take!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Juice lube Dirty little scrubber & super Gnal.

To be fair I tip my hat to anyone who makes a effort of cleaning their chain, even if it is a whip with a rag!
    You would not believe how many bike we get through the workshop that not been cleaned or even lubed! even get a far few bikes a year with the cassette so full of crap the chain does not seat right and they complaining about the chain/gears skipping when riding!

End of the day, I feel using a chain cleaning device/scrubber is the easiest/best use of time/less messy way of cleaning a chain for 95% of cyclists. don’t need to remove chain, fit cleaner, back pedal and rinse, wipe dry, re lube.
    Do this often (after every ride, when washing your bike) you don’t really need to remove the chain to clean it, maybe remove once every 2 months if high use just for a “deep” clean.

So for the ones who have the time to remove/clean/boil/swap chains etc then fair play to you and well done, keep it up.

charliedontsurf

The best device… A new chain.

Chains are not that expensive, and a fresh chain will slow down wear and tear on the rest of the drive.

So I give it a few hoses, and lubes. But after a big dirty ride, a multi day tour, a gravel 100 etc… Pop a new chain on. Spend the £18.

MrOvershoot

Something like this 😀 Hot Aqueous wash = very clean everything off a bike.

OK so its in our workshop but I ordered it 😮

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Your best chain cleaning device please’ is closed to new replies.