• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ski.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Young children at Festivals – Tracking devices?
  • prezet
    Free Member

My wife is going to The Big Feastival in a few weeks with our 4 year old daughter and another mum/daughter. I’m slightly nervous of the whole thing – worried that our daughter might get lost in the crowds or wander off. Paranoid I know, but I’m a bit over protective!

What kinds of things should I be doing to ensure she’s safe? I was thinking of some kind of tracking device (just in case the worst happens and they get separated), but can’t really decide on what to use. I’m also thinking my wife should write her contact number on my daughters arm?

Any other advice from others who have taken young children to festivals would be great.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

From what others have said, write your(wifes) phone number on thier arm in permanent marker that and pay attention!

IHN

Writing the number on her arm is a good idea. To be honest, if they’re going to Feastival, I’d be more worried about losing your life savings…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

When I was at the Secret Garden Party one year we bumped into a 6yr old with the number on her arm. Rang parents, and thy turned up somewhat worse for wear about an hour later. Amusingly enough the kid took it all in her stride,as guessed this was not the first time this had happened.

richmars

Cheap GPS thing from ebay.
    Needs a sim card. You phone it and it returns a text with GPS location.
    (Needs a phone signal, and the location may not be good enough.)

sandboy

Have a meeting place pre arranged, make sure it is somewhere easy to find and they know how to get there. At Glastonbury, ours is the big tree in the field by the pyramid stage. If any of the kids get separated they know where to go and that there will be someone waiting for them.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Have a meeting place pre arranged

We always do this when we arrive anywhere crowded.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d get two tracking devices and attach one to each of your testicles. Then when your wife reads this and realises that you don’t trust her to look after her own daughter, you’ll be able to find them again after she’s hoofed you in them.

Sweet baby Jesus…

theauthorities
    Free Member

you are david cameron and i claim my five pounds

perchypanther
    Free Member

Brat Nav?

llama

Phones are not that reliable at big festivals. Getting a good data connection is rare and texts can take hours to get there. This will effect a tracking device. If it were me I would go old school with a telephone number and pre-arranged what to do if lost plan.

But really, don’t worry about it. We did big festivals with ours at that age and it is easier than you think. Don’t go getting smashed though.

prezet
    Free Member

I’d get two tracking devices and attach one to each of your testicles. Then when your wife reads this and realises that you don’t trust her to look after her own daughter, you’ll be able to find them again after she’s hoofed you in them.

Haha, luckily she knows about my paranoia – I am mocked by friends and family about my OCD for health and safety around the kids 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Am I the only one that thinks taking a 4yo to a festival is a bad idea?

wors

crikey
    Free Member

You are Gerry McCann and I claim my free childcare voucher.

Cougar

4 years old? Just track their iPhone.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Most decent festivals give the kids a wrist band on which you write your number.
    However this isn’t ideal as you may not have a signal depending on said festivals size.

sandwicheater

Tie a loaf of bread to their back. Now the clever part! Tie a baby Robbin to the child. Said Robbin will slowly chip away at said bread all day. You just follow the bread crumb trail.

Yes i know, genius.

jekkyl

not in good taste that Crikey, 😕

My suggestion would be a lead/leash.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Dress as Pikachu.

The child will be able to follow the crowd of 30-somethings reliving their childhood whilst gawping at you on their augmented reality iphones.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I don’t see a problem with it. My daughter has been to a festival every year since she was 3. She’s now 7 and understands to stay close, has my number on her arm, has a designated meeting place and knows to speak to security if she ever did get lost. It’s a very different experience taking a child and quite a lot cheaper as the bars don’t empty my wallet for me like they normally would. My thinking is if she does it now then she won’t go to Reading or whatever with her mates when she’s a teenager and get over excited, ending up in a state somewhere.

Houns

*chuckles at crikey*

prezet
    Free Member

It wasn’t really my idea obviously. Personally I’m very nervous about it, hence this post.

crikey
    Free Member

Sorry, I did agonize about it being in rather poor taste but then thought sod it…

ski
    Free Member

Tie a helium balloon on a string to their arm?

I did this at a kids party in a park once with my little on, until my daughter wandered back in tears because someone had nicked the ballon and I had been watching the ballon blissfully unaware 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Young children at Festivals – Tracking devices?’ is closed to new replies.