Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You wait all day for a bus to punishment pass, then three come along at once!
  • midlifecrashes

Well done First Bus.

Not a cyclist this time though. Was walking in to town earlier and spotted the carriage approaching, whipped the phone out to take a snap to show the kids, who are fairly keen on the horses.

Seconds later the traffic behind think it’s OK to give it maximum revs and minimum gap. The third bus even managed to get three quarters of the way past before realising he didn’t have time and putting the anchors on and pulling in behind again. Muppets.

Yes, all three pulled the stunt on the zigzags protecting the pedestrian crossing. Have used the feedback form on First Bus website, do you think they’ll do anything about it?

JEngledow
    Free Member

do you think they’ll do anything about it?

I wouldn’t hold your breath!

bigblackshed

When I was cycle commuting I used to carry my DLock on the handle bars when I got in to town. Over the course of 5 years or so, there were a number of buses with “excuse me Mr Bus Driver, would you mind giving me a little more room, please?” type dents along the side panels. I was quite proud of some of my handy work.

simmy
    Free Member

Overtaking on the Zig Zags ? Interesting…..

Let’s hope First do something about it otherwise direct the Police to this thread.

anagallis_arvensis

not only zizags but a junction too

uselesshippy
    Free Member

They won’t do anything. They never do unfortunately.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Twitter, and filth

midlifecrashes

Is that your best chat up line, Al?

TooTall
    Free Member

Is that your best chat up line, Al?

He’s quite persuasive after a couple of shandies 😳

cynic-al
    Free Member

😛

singletrackmind

Followed a bus home from work on Monday afto.
    He pulled straight out in front of me ( in car ) with 1 flash of his indicater. I was already next to his engine but had to do a hard , total stop due to oncoming traffic ( he was pulling out of a layby)

2 miles later we catch up with a cyclist . Tosser bus driver has 2 goes to get past but oncoming traffic thwart his attempts at twatishness. I am getting angry at his obvious disregard for the cyclists safety.

Next straight about 200m long and he’s off, just as a silver 206 comes round the corner. 206 has to do full stop to let the bus in thus avoiding a head -on collision. At the end of the 200m straight and no more than 10m ahead of the cyclist on comes the indicator and the brake lights as he is now stopping. At a bus stop in the roadway meaning the bike has to take avoiding action and swerve out round the bus.

Wish I had a dashcam and stopped and demanded his name . Just awful driving by a ‘professional’ driver .

bigyinn
    Free Member

Going back to the OP for a moment, how are those punishment passes by First Buses? Ok they should not be overtaking on the zig zags, but im not seeing any evidence of deliberately carving up the pony and trap.

buck53

but im not seeing any evidence of deliberately carving up the pony and trap

Don’t think you’re looking closely enough in that case, middle pic shows the bus passing far too close to the trap and it’s already on it’s way back in despite not clearing the trap yet.

Given that and positioning on bottom pic I don’t see any reason to doubt they all did it, close/punishment passes normally result in “he did it so I’ll do the same” from following vehicles in my experience.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looking at the 2nd pic, he’s about 2m out from the trap, the nearside wheel being level with the middle of the road, which seems a reasonable amount of space to me.

johndoh
    Free Member

which seems a reasonable amount of space to me.

Even if it was, and it doesn’t seem reasonable to me, it was still on a pedestrian crossing and there is no overtaking allowed on them.

midlifecrashes

Sorry bigyinn, should have videoed it for you. You’d have seen how they all got close up behind the carriage before giving it massive beans, with the huge roar a bus engine makes as they gunned it past. Then the sharp pull in and gear change with accompanying belch of black smoke in front of the horse.

The horse and driver took it remarkably calmly, but I’m not sure how the bus drivers would have predicted it went so well for all concerned. As a minimum courtesy to fellow human beings I’d have expected the buses to completely leave the lane the carriage was in, and wait for a gap big enough to avoid having huge revs alongside an unpredictable animal.

amedias
    Free Member

Looking at the 2nd pic, he’s about 2m out from the trap, the nearside wheel being level with the middle of the road, which seems a reasonable amount of space to me.

Is that the same ruler you measure male genitalia with 😉

A typical double decker bus is ~8 foot wide (2.4m), looking at that second pic I’d say the bus is about 2.4m form the kerb, not the trap!

Waaaaay too close for passing a horse or cyclist, barely far enough for passing a parked car really if you’re giving appropriate ‘doors width’ clearance.

Given the lack of (visible) oncoming traffic there’s no reason other than laziness or malice that the bus shouldn’t be entirely in the other lane, and that’s ignoring the zigzags and crossing element!

bigyinn
    Free Member

2.55m wide IIRC.
    Perhaps im struggling with the perspective. Given the lack of oncoming traffic he could have given the trap more room.

midlifecrashes

Just had a letter arrive. OK so they’ve mistaken me for the carriage driver, don’t know how I could be and be taking the photos, but never mind.

Dear midlifecrashes

Thank you for letting us know about the concerns you had with all 3 drivers on 11 March at 1205. I’m sorry to hear this – I can imagine how alarming it must have been for you and your horse.

We train all our drivers extensively, and they’re well aware of the standards we expect of them at First. Clearly, these drivers fell some way short of these standards on this particular day when driving past far too close – we’ll be speaking to them all and making it clear that we won’t tolerate the sort of driving you’ve described.

Once again, I’m sorry you had such a poor experience with us. Thank you again for getting in touch. If there’s anything else I can do for you, please let me know – I’ll be happy to help.

Yours sincerely

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘You wait all day for a bus to punishment pass, then three come along at once!’ is closed to new replies.