Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • you thought your training was hard
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/14/british-cycling-olympic-boot-camp

Ed Clancy’s days of doom

How the men’s team pursuiters typically spent their time during the boot camp on what Clancy described as “days of doom”:

6.30am Breakfast

Typically porridge, scrambled eggs, cereal, coffee

7.45am On track

Endurance interval training behind motorbike: warm up, then blocks of 20 minutes with five minutes rest in between

9.45am Off track

10am Rest

Includes a massage, flexibility and injury troubleshooting with physiotherapist, a once-over from the team doctor, media work, play Xbox in team room

12noon Lunch

Typically rice and quinoa salad with chicken, ham, sweetcorn, emphasis on healthy, high-energy food. Snacks during the day include home made rice cakes, energy bars, gels and broccoli juice

2pm On track

Warm up then rolling 5,000m efforts in team pursuit formation

5pm Off track

5.30-6pm Stretching

Often using a roller to work on the quadriceps muscles and flexibility under physio supervision, to help ensure the exercises are done perfectly, and to iron out any issues

7pm Return to hotel

Dinner is typically chicken, pasta, sweet potato mash, risotto, couscous

9pm Rest, then bed

njee20
    Free Member

Huh? Do you think that’s tough? I’d far far far far far far rather have that as my daily schedule than:

6:15 get up, breakfast (whatever’s quick, usually a bowl of cereal)

6:45 drive 25 miles to start commute

7:20 start riding 24 miles into Central London, 130 sets of traffic lights means lots of intervals

12:30 Lunch, whatever Sainsbury’s or the canteen can dredge up

5:00 Ride home, with another 130 15 second intervals, attempt some 20 minute FTP intervals, but nearly get killed by 4 buses, and get frustrated by all the traffic lights

6:40 back in car, drive home

7:30 dinner, whatever the girlfriend has cooked

10:00 bed

The only part I prefer of mine is dinner!

epo-aholic
    Free Member

njee20 – sheesh, no wonder you’re a grumpy bastard! 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

Njee > U riding at 36mph? 😉

The pace this morning is between 52 and 58 kilometres per hour for 20 minutes or so at a time, lap after lap, round and round the velodrome,

The eight form a neat string, one rider swinging up from behind the padded back bumper each lap. On a toot of the horn the eight split into groups and begin racing the motorbike, upping the speed to gain a lap on Hunt. Another toot and they are racing each other in pairs, each pair trying to catch the other and then take a lap on the motorbike. Then they do it again in fours, half a lap apart, chasing each other in an imitation of a team pursuit.

The technical term for this is “interval training with inhibited recovery”.

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 – sheesh, no wonder you’re a grumpy bastard!

Piss off!

😉

The pace this morning is between 52 and 58 kilometres per hour for 20 minutes or so at a time, lap after lap, round and round the velodrome,

The pace isn’t that relevant – that’s a by-product of their fitness. It’s not just laps of the track either. And they’re getting paid for it, and have nothing else to worry about!

trickydisco
    Free Member

I know, I know 🙂

they are still training pretty damn hard. It is a boot camp after all. Winning a gold medal or breaking a record doesn’t come easy

Just hope they can do it next year

njee20
    Free Member

Oh yeah, of course they are, not suggesting any less of course, and the toll it must take is obviously a lot. Doing it day in day out would no doubt by bloody dull too!

But I don’t look at that and think “my god, how do they do that”. Anecdotally… a (good) professional rugby player I knew through a friend was quite open that their training wasn’t that tough and it was a bit of a doss!

clubber
    Free Member

Pretty standard for any athlete in sports that require supreme fitness IME…

That said that timetable’s not so bad – plenty of fit amateurs can manage that when they’re on training camp (or if they didn’t have to work…). What’s more difficult is doing it day after day, week after week. The mental side is at least as tough as the physical.

chakaping
    Free Member

Their food sounds quite tasty, apart from the broccoli juice.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Saw this as well

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8H6fU9VNgQ[/video]

2500Watts of power!

Interesting it says fit male max power is 600watts.. Plucked that out of the air!

mogrim

Doesn’t sound too bad, more relaxed than my schedule for today:

6:00 up
    7:30 gym for a run
    9:00 at work
    19:00 head home
    19:45 home
    20:45 swimming class
    23:30 bed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘you thought your training was hard’ is closed to new replies.