Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You really could buy a car for that………
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

apologies if this has been done already but, saw the add for this in another publication ……

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/genius-ltd-2009-mountain-bike-ec016241

i thought it was a typo 🙄 – so had to take a look…
    heck, the ad only lists it is £7249…., bargain…………

tis either a lot of money or i’m getting old……..
    (answers on a postcard….. 😀 )

jackthedog
    Free Member

A genuinely shocked “wow” from my direction!

That’s the most expensive mainstream mountainbike (ie not some irrelevant “handcrafted by virgins” titanuim and lark’s tongue crap) I’ve ever seen. Madness.

RustySpanner

The Genius is the ideal bike for marathons, long distance mountain rides or just a simple tour with your friends.

Copy writer in sense of humour shocker!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    WackoAK
    Free Member

I like how every bit on it is blinged up apart from the wirebeaded tyres…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ocelots’ spleens…

Xan
    Free Member

I know its a shocker. My mate wouldn’t believe me when I said a Scott Genius was about 8k. If money was no object think I would buy a top spec custom Blur before I would buy that and pocket the other 5k.

coffeeking
    Free Member
    Offroading
    Free Member

That Genius doesnt even have a nice spec for the price.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Shitting Cheesus, that road bike is spensive.

I like the way that CRC’s price is £11998.99, as opposed to the RRP of £11999.00…

Twelve grand for an off the peg bike. I’ve seen it all, now.

I woon’t mind that Scott, though. Looks a lot nicer than a lot of other full-sussers. Decent subdued colour scheme and graphics.

I don’t have £8k to spend on a bike, though. 🙁

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its not that light either 🙁

For that money I would want 5 or 6 bikes.

nukeproof
    Free Member

I’d genuinely like to know how many they sell.

Still, with Yeti 575 and Turner 5-Spot frames getting close to £2k, it is all getting very expensive.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You want to try tandems – there is a ventana road tandem that is £11 500, a da vinci MTB tandem that you get towards £20 000 if you start hitting the options list hard ( titanium frame, S&S couplers etc). MTB tandems say they can build a XC hardtail tandem that weighs 35 lb but no one will pay the price! I shudder to think what it would be

hora
    Free Member

FREE delivery available on this bike

Phew

marsdenman
    Free Member

That Genius doesnt even have a nice spec for the price.

cant help but wonder the retail ‘value’ of the components – ie groupset etc as a total to see just what Scott are ‘charging’ for the frame & shock……

theflatboy
    Free Member

at least that £12k road bike is light! half as light as the scott, pretty much, for just under twice the price. 😆

MTT
    Free Member

hmmmm, the sad thing is you could throw way more money at that BH without too much effort,

– SRM chainset + BB – £2.5k
    – Drop the LEW’s in favour of some Obeys – £3k
    – LW Rder – £1K
    – Dugast – £300
    – Ax finishing – £1k
    – then i’d drop the frame for an EPS or a VXRS

nicko74

Quite a nice car, at that. Only this morning I was thinking an Audi S3 should be attainable for about £8-10k. But Jebus that Scott’s pricey – I’d be bricking it that I’d wrap it round a tree and trash it

GJP
    Free Member

I like the way the CRC site says “Request Stock Alert” for the BH bike!

Yes they must be selling like hot cakes at that price!

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Not even if I were Abramovic. I just don’t like the suspension behind the seat post solution anyway – it just looks wrong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Wouldn’t spend that kind of money on either of thsoe bikes. I’m not saying I wouldn’t spend that kind of money, just not on an off the shelf bike.

hora
    Free Member

I like the way the CRC site says “Request Stock Alert” for the BH bike!

Yes they must be selling like hot cakes at that price!

Lets all click on it. We’ll then receive a nervous call from their Group Buyer saying ‘now your definitely going to buy this arent you if I order it’?

Speshpaul

My mate came round last sunday with his new Kawasaki ZX600, 09 plate £5200, £200 down and 0% finance.
    As he said ” i just couldn’t help myself!”
    Thats a hell of a lot more moving parts than 2 £2.5k MTB’s.

I’m stood there looking at it thinking what a good idea it is, while i’ve still got my leg in a brace 10 weeks after breaking it, (and counting)

I might leave it a bit longer before mentioning it to the miss’is

BearBack
    Free Member

The way I see it, that Genius LTD is a marketing bike.. basically they put together a bike from all the lightest/must have kit available as a fully functional show piece that ultimately, some wealthy folks will buy. The media all lapped it up and its a great way show how good the bike is, then point out that mere mortals can have one too.. be it in alloy, or ‘lower spec’ carbon guise.
    All said and done though, 22lbs for a 6″ trail bike is pretty darned good!
    I also doubt that many shops will be carrying stock on the LTD.

The Delta7 Arantix is similar in many respects.. $7000 frame only.. yet they WILL sell some. Although unlike the Genius LTD, Delta7 dont have a more reasonable price point option in their line up for people wanting to buy into the aspiration.

I highly suspect that many of the people who can afford buy the LTD will be the definition of ‘all the gear no idea’.. but if by buying this bike they start actually riding their mountain bike then bonus 🙂

Its not a new trick.. it happens day in day out in the auto industry..

sofatester
    Free Member

The BMW 1 series springs to mind BearBack!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘You really could buy a car for that………’ is closed to new replies.