Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You like "insert band" but hate their "insert song"
  • nealglover
    Free Member

Is this a thread where people disown their favourite bands most popular songs because too many people who aren’t “real” fans like them ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Nah, Born Slippy was just shit.

They did peak with the first album though IMO.

Agree with Dexys / Eileen as well.

spud-face

It mystifies me why King Prawn thought it was a good idea to put The Postman Song on their Surrender To The Blender album. Let alone twice!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

When I heard the Verve for the first time (my young head exploded)

Bare-footed and pregnant:

[video]https://youtu.be/ayZmUhDP-a0[/video]

When I saw the Verve for the last time (my old head imploded)

Entropic in designer-clothing:

[video]https://youtu.be/omtjhWekniQ[/video]

tdog
    Free Member

Yeah Yield and Vitalogy are good equally.

I’m not quite sure bout the Massive Attack album I bought but can only remember it having a browny beige cover with a toxic icon on it.

🙄

mrmoofo

So everyone hates the hits … that’s original ….
    Teenage Kicks – great song about masturbation. And most people don’t seem to know that!
    Love Will Tear Us Apart – great song of it’s time. Atmosphere is better …. some of the other stuff they did is out of tune guff ….
    Rolling Stones – great back catalogue – but file the stuff after about 1985

Superficial
    Free Member

Is this a thread where people disown their favourite bands most popular songs because too many people who aren’t “real” fans like them ?

It does seems like it. It’s a bit of a hipster thing to do, I’m a bit disappointed in STW[i] not entirely surprised[/i].

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

So everyone hates the hits … that’s original ….

See also:

‘What brand of bike do you like, but which model of theirs do you not like?’

‘Well, I used to love Saracen, owned and loved three of them from Backtrax to Protrax to Kili Flyer – but then in my opinion they went from inspired and hand-built to tat-baubles in Halfords, seemingly overnight. Massively successful re sales, but not my thing anymore.
    ‘Ah, a brand snob. How original’
    ‘Wait, don’t you think you’re projecting a little?’
    ‘No, see it all the time. You’re a living breathing stereotype. Same as those vegetarians who used to eat meat and then they decided instead to be fashionable’
    ‘But wait, you’re accusing me of disliking Saracen because they became fashionable, not because I wanted to be fashionable
    ‘Yeah, same thing but in reverse.’
    ‘So – bottom line, unless I like the same things as you then I’m a dishonest, hollow, fashion-conscious inverted-snob stereotype who both hates and yet loves fashion – nothing at all to do with actual biking or music or personal taste?’
    ‘Pretty much.’
    ‘But I think that claim reflects more upon you, because I really just ‘don’t like what I don’t like’, for reasons you somehow assumed, yet never asked me about. Simple as that.’
    ‘He protesteth too much. Same as those people who won’t drink Coca Cola yet drink herbal tea. You know there’s something up with that behaviour. They are TRYING. TOO HARD!
    ‘Once again, projection?’
    ‘Your game is up, my ‘edgy’ little friend
    ‘Guess so 🙄 ‘
    ‘So why didn’t you post the more obscure disliked tracks by bands that you like’?
    ‘OK I really like Magma, massively, but never got along with ‘Hhai’
    ‘WTAF now you’re taking the piss’
    ‘No, I really don’t like it’
    ‘So why not just name a mainstream band that other people can relate to? Instead of some ‘edgy’ obscure band?
    ‘They’re not actually that obscure’
    ‘No, but are mainstream acts just to ‘uncool’ for you?’

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

… cont’d

‘OK, mainstream, right.. er, Led Zep. Can’t stand the track ‘D’yer Make’Er ‘
    (Silence)
    ‘Did I get it right that time?’
    ‘I think so’
    ‘Phew, eh?’

I’m a bit disappointed in STW not entirely surprised.

Same.

olly2097
    Free Member

The clash – should I stay or should I go? And rock the casbah. Probably their weakest album but seemingly their two most popular songs. The best single on the album (straight to hell) is a classic but nobody seems to know it.

Oasis – their b side output from 94-97 is fantastic.

avdave2

No , I picked a band I’m not a great fan of and an album that I think really works as a whole but has a single tacked onto it that feels out of place.

edhornby

I just called to say I love you isn’t a patch on most of Stevie Wonder’s other work

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ heretical! Plus – hipster alert 😛

Seriously – I think that was his Bittersweet Symphony

Bimbler
    Free Member

Black Sabbath and Paranoid, it’s not even in their top 20 songs imo.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘You like "insert band" but hate their "insert song"’ is closed to new replies.