Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You know when you don't stop and reflect before hitting send on an email…
  • ourmaninthenorth

…where you refer harshly to someone. And you don’t check that they’re not cc’d?

Yep. That.

Not helped by the fact I’ll spending the evening at a corporate dinner with same person….

Just spent 10 minutes grovelling on the phone….

Corporate life, eh?

nemesis
    Free Member

Justifiably harsh or not? Justifiably so, IME you can deal with – you were being honest but wanted to avoid them thinking you were talking behind their back so you cc’d them…

Less justifiable and it’s a lot more uncomfortable 🙂 Be sure to report back 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

You should have just told them your email was hacked. Got to be quite believable for where you work IIRC.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hels
    Free Member

What did you say about them ???

hammyuk
    Free Member

Be honest – I wouldn’t say anything in an email, forum, etc that I wouldn’t say to their face regardless of who/how big they are.
    Same goes for a work place.
    As long as it was justified/truthful whats the problem?
    As said above – tell them you wanted them to know you weren’t going behind their back.

ourmaninthenorth

You should have just told them your email was hacked. Got to be quite believable for where you work IIRC.

LOL 😀

What did you say about them ???

Nothing unpleasant. Thankfully. And my grovelling apology on the phone afterwards seems to have worked.

Twice in 15 years I have done this. I thought I’d learned the lesson 15 years ago..!

teasel
    Free Member

Yeah, as above – don’t write anything you wouldn’t say to someone’s face. If you’ve been caught out just man up and accept it.

Who knows, they might even grow to respect you.

Cougar

These days with work emails, I often write them with an empty To: field, and only add addresses when I’m happy with the content.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Understand your pain, I too wouldn’t write something in a mail that I wouldn’t speak openly with the person involved.

I too suffered this about 15 years ago, during a corporate merger one MD was being a complete cock on a number of points, none that mattered. We racked up a Legal bill the GDP of a small middle African country and I let rip in an email outlying the pathetic attempts at derailment…. and cc’d the MD in in error….. To say I got torched from on high and actually verbally attacked at the next ExCo was an understatement to say the least. Had the rest of the members not supported me Ida been out on my Arse sharpish, truth is they did and a showdown at the table ended with him walking out with a small redundancy package instead of being shifted sideways.

I didn’t come out of that too well either, one of the Partners called me a pleb and poked me hard in the shoulder whilst staring me down..

Years later he was brought to task in a rather widely know banking institution collapse..

Edit,, I wasn’t an MD nor Partner before you all think WTF, I was there representing a large part of the Business (me and 7 others each looking after a Cluster )

nickc

At least you didn’t use comic sans serif as your font, so all’s not lost.

You didn’t did you?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Don’t know the whole story, not even part of course, but when I was ‘corporate’ the “grovelling apology” would have been seen as worse than the e-mail.

Either you meant it, or you didn’t.

That sort of shit is the reason I won’t go back to the corporate life. We pretty much speak as we think here, sometimes we don’t like what we’re told, sometimes we upset the people we tell, but it’s honest and no one holds grudges.

ourmaninthenorth

Be honest

Correct. But there’s a way of delivering that message.

And not when you’re invited to sit at their table at a dinner the same evening.

The other people to whom the mail was addressed also recived a clear version of the truth.

But, as something I will always say to others: be passionate, but don’t be emotional.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘You know when you don't stop and reflect before hitting send on an email…’ is closed to new replies.