Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You know that feeling when you think you're getting too old for this…
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Electrical dopers !!!! Pffft next you’ll be telling me.your doing the puffer on an ebike Brian.

ton

this summer whilst stood waiting for the ferry home from st malo, a elderly couple pulled up beside us.
    we got talking about where we had been touring. me and the wife both in our 50’s had ridden from biarritz.
    this couple, him 81 and his wife 79 had ridden from barcelona via the pyrenees.
    they were riding home to york once the ferry landed in portsmouth.

proper awesome.

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    Electrical dopers !!!! Pffft next you’ll be telling me.your doing the puffer on an ebike Brian.

Well me lights will be using electrickery. I’ve found carbide gets too explosive on the bumps. 🙂

I might cheat by just running with a cx bike on my shoulder. I ran round the course today with the dog, and it was faster than some of my Puffer laps. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

I love stories like this.

Last year I posted a thread about an old lady on a shopper bike (complete with front basket and rear rack full of panniers and Water and food and such) who I met just down on the NCN 2 near me.. I rode up behind her slowy, said hi and she asked me “is there anywhere to camp?” Well…. I stumbled because she looked about 70.. anyway we got talking and she said she’d ridden from Edinburgh down the east coast and had reached my little bit.. I asked “why, and like how and what’s your plan then?” And she said ..matter of factly… “well it was March when I set out, I thought I’d ride around the coastline of the UK.. “
    It was June.
    She’d camped most of the way, BnB’ing when she fancied it and a shower..

I was gobsmacked to say the least.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Epicyclo, please don’t take my petty jibes earlier in the week about your SS obsession seriously, in reality I have you down as a bit of a legend, an inspiration. :mrgreen:

ton

I have you down as a bit of a legend, an inspiration.

i will second that.

joshvegas
    Free Member

ton – Member
    I have you down as a bit of a legend, an inspiration.
    i will second that.

Thirded. You once pushed yourbike past me at strathpuffer.

epicyclo

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Epicyclo, please don’t take my petty jibes earlier in the week about your SS obsession seriously…

Don’t worry, I realised the derailleur illuminati had hijacked your STW account.

And hey, it’s not a SS obsession, I do have a 3 speed (hubgear, of course). One has to make concessions to increasing frailty. 🙂

RustySpanner

Father in law was still competing in the British Fell Running Championships in his 80’s.

Lovely bloke Roy, has a race named after him now.

Drac

Does he not spill the tea?

RustySpanner

🙂

Water bottles are nowt but a modern affectation.

Not with us anymore, but a true gentleman of the old school.

slowoldman

Brilliant. Looks like I may have to go back to rock climbing.

epicyclo

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Father in law was still competing in the British Fell Running Championships in his 80’s…

That’s brilliant. Something to aspire to.

I reckon those fell runners are among the toughest men in sport.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘You know that feeling when you think you're getting too old for this…’ is closed to new replies.