Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You have to laugh (data protection)
  • Flaperon

Just provided an excruciating level of detail about my life to Equifax for a credit report – “it’s essential we make sure you’re who you say you are to prevent someone getting access to your personal information”.

When the report arrived it included my twin brother’s entire financial history, his bank account info, credit limits, balances, missed payments (ahem) etc. *Slaps forehead*.

I’m applying for a mortgage – I assume a sensible lender will be able to separate out anything that doesn’t apply to me?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I assume

Never assume.

MSP

Report them, they are in breach of the data protection act.

Markie
    Free Member

Never assume [that banks will do anything sensible].

Report them, they are in breach of the data protection act.

Both +1!

dabble
    Free Member

Yep, punish these cretins, its the only way they’ll learn.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I thought getting your own credit history was a no no when applying for a mortgage ?

Flaperon

trail_rat – the information is recorded but not passed on to banks etc when they check your credit file.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wont matter for you anyway its on your bros report haha

You have shown them to be incompetent once !

samuri
    Free Member

It’s because you’re twins. What they’re saying there is ‘look what a high risk your brother is, you’re essentially the same person so you’ll be a bad risk too’

Which I think is quite fair. 😉

phiiiiil

Last year Smile sent me someone else’s bank details and couldn’t vouch for where they had sent mine. As the ensuing conversation got more complicated I told them they could speak to my solicitor; they said they couldn’t due for “data protection reasons”. You do, indeed, have to laugh…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I assume

Assume?

Makes an Ass out of U + Me.. 😐

Cougar

I had a similar run-in with the tax people.

A good few years ago, a mate of mine lived at my house for a couple of months. Since then, I’ve reliably received his P60 every year along with various other tax missives.

He’s contacted them repeatedly, and nothing ever gets changed. When I’ve tried to ring them, they tell me that they can’t talk to me to discuss them stopping sending me someone else’s financial details, for data protection reasons.

</despair>

vorlich
    Free Member

eww, twins are gross ;P

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘You have to laugh (data protection)’ is closed to new replies.