Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • you guys with PA's, Souls, 456s etc, What forks ya running? Does it work?
  • moonboy
    Free Member

righty ho,

project pimp my albert continues at a glacial pace. A box of bits is steadily gathering dust in a corner of the living room.

next up: Forks

was thinking 120mm ish? have picked up some wheels with a 20mm so i guess maxle but they are hope hubs so adaptors a-hoy.

What do you guys recommend?
    What are you running?
    Any good?

air? coil?

all ears…

mangoridebike

Pikes, Air, 140mm on a Dialled Morning Glory (Same geometetry as a PA)

br
    Free Member

456 and 140mm Magura Thors c/w maxle.

Also tried 150mm and 120mm previously.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    moonboy
    Free Member

you like?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

120mm Minutes on my PA – first ride yesterday.

Going to try some 145 Minutes I have knocking about running about 1/3 sag to see how I get on with them – 120mm seems a little short at the moment.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

456 and coil Pikes, but just sold them both

Now building* a Lynskey Ridgeline LT with 110-150mm coil Sektors

Also run a 'spare' 456 with coil Recons (85-130mm)

*build has been delayed due to Lynskey not knowing how big their frames are….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

130mm menjas on my 456, going for 150mm z1 RC2 for my holliday and might keep them for afterwards as well 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

My Soul is currently on and old set of 85-125mm Talas but I'm thinking about giving Pikes a go on it instead.

My BFe is on 160mm RC41 Fighters – I've only ridden it once so far but they seemed pretty good on it.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

110-140 rev airs, run at 125mm 95% of the time, BB feels too high at 140.

I had some pace RC41s that were AMAZING on there until they broke 😥

OK, not on a Prince Albert so maybe not 100% relevant feedback, but I just put the new Rock Shox Sektors on my Holeshot and first impressions are very good. Not too heavy, stiff and very plush.

110-140mm U-Turn. Should work very nicely on a Prince Albert.

mangoridebike

The Pikes seem a pefect fit for the MG, best forks I've had on it. (Previously Marz AMSLs and Pace RC40 Fighters)

The 20mm axle provides a lot more confidence than a QR and the maxle system is very straight forward.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

On my BFe I have used:

Marzocchi Z1 freerides @ 130mm – Too long for general razzing about
    Marzocchi Z1 freerides @ 120mm – A bit better for general razzing about
    Marzocchi Z1 freerides @ 110mm – The best for general razzing about
    Marzocchi Z1 SL's @ 150mm – Ok for downhill in the alps (maybe a bit weedy) but shite for owt else

jwt
    Free Member

456,130mm Revs,very happy.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

On my Dialled Alpine I used 130mm and 150mm Marzocchis and the 130's felt about right for general razzing (xc and downhill track mix) of stuff.

letmetalktomark

Soul here with 120mm travel from a 2007 set of Rebas.

Rides really nicely.

Jamie
    Free Member

Running Rev 2010 Races on my PA dialled down to 140mm as they go upto 150mm, which I believe is too much for the frame.

….they are currently being sorted under warranty after 3 months tho so dunno if I would recommend them tho.

Tempted to flog them when they come back and get some coil sektors just for ease of use.

khani
    Free Member

Soul with pace rc41 130mm 20axle, all good

bigbloke
    Free Member

On One 456 Summer Season…..with 120mm Recon Air. Seems ok so far no probs or issues with travel.

jim
    Free Member

PA with 130mm Menjas here, seems to work well enough.

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Soul with a set of 100mm Fox Float 32. Fine for my local riding but I have to run em soft for anything decent so looking to change to 120mm F-series with 15mm QR in future.

poppa
    Free Member

130mm Magura Menjas (same axle to crown as 120mm Rockshox)

Very happy.

jacksta
    Free Member

Soul with 2008 Revs & 70mm stem. Almost always run at about 120mm, unless I'm also dropping the seat then I'll put them out to their grand 130mm

LoCo
    Free Member

Dailled Albert is running 140mm Vanillas at the moment, climbed better with 130 mm Vans but the 140's make it more fun everywhere else. I'm thinking about putting some UTurn Sektors (110 to 150mm) on for this year as I have a few sets in stock at the moment.

wwaswas

456 with 140mm Pace RC41 xcam – the 'lock down' is definitely useful on Downland climbs.

docrobster
    Free Member

456 summer season with pike air uturns mostly at 140, wound down to 110 for the ups.
    It is a hoot pointing down but a wandery light front wheel even at 110mm on any steep climbs.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

456, briefly with 5" Marz 55Rs, heavy as hell (7lbs).
    Now with 140mm Rev dual airs, rides fine, as I said in another thread I sold the lockout as I never used it. Work well and light as anything, and got em cheap from merlin (£300, at the time they included a free RF Deus headset which I sold for 20 quid, then sold the lockout lever for a similar sum…)

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I run coil pikes on my PA. TBH I rarely have them fully wound out and usually run them between 95-120. The extra travel is for mincing on DH tracks and soaking up alpine braking bumps.

I think they work really well. For woody, rooty singletrack I run them at 95mm and the bike is super responsive. I up them to 120mm if I'm planning to fall off some drop offs.

I had 130mm Menjas before which worked ok until Snowdon practically killed them. I love the adjustability of the U turn which makes the bike more versatile.

tragically1969
    Free Member

My Soul has 2009 Revelations 110-140mm with Maxle Lite, seem to suit it well, brilliant climbing at 110mm and a hoot downhill at 140mm

ahwiles
    Free Member

ragley blue pig here, with 140mm solo-air recons (no travel adjustment)

the bike is very happy going up hills, the bike is very happy going down hills. it even flatters my limited wheelie skills.

i'm very happy.

Kasperthecourier
    Free Member

Old flexy vanilla 125s on a soul.

Northwind

Older 100-130mm U-turn air Revelations in my Soul (since it's a 130mm model). Suits it down to the ground, since u-turn means the forks work just as well at any length, just as the Soul rides well anywhere in its range. It doesn't need the shorter setting to climb, it just benefits from the choice.

moonboy
    Free Member

top work chaps.

a wealth of information and confidence boosting hand-holding that you guys are riding some of the stuff i was thinking of going for.

hmmm, deep down i know i want to shove some rev airs on and this seems to be a valid option. I think i've known this from the start.

having said that i've been offered soms coil pikes from a pal at a sensible price. Whats the difference between 426 and 454?

oh,

and,

These pace Rc41s you speak of? Umm, tell me more!

tang
    Free Member

soul- 120 maxlerebas really nice on the longer days , 130 was about spot on for woods fun i reckon.

retro83
    Free Member

having said that i've been offered soms coil pikes from a pal at a sensible price. Whats the difference between 426 and 454?

426 = steel steerer
    454 = aluminium

simon_g

140mm Air Pikes (a few years old now) on a PA. Did have u-turn Revolutions on before but I never really bothered winding them down.

ourmaninthenorth

Soul with 105 Marz MX Pro (2005).

I find these quite long enough for climbing as it is, and wouldn't want anything longer. More travel down would be nice.

If I had the spare cash, some u-turn maxle revs would be just the ticket.

moonboy
    Free Member

426 = steel steerer
    454 = aluminium

ah, so a heavier fork gets just a bit heavier again.

i see.

loddrik
    Free Member

Van Nic Mamtor with 140mm revs

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Cotic Simple with 130 Lefty Max. A reet giggle to razz about.

khani
    Free Member

These pace Rc41s you speak of? Umm, tell me more!
    Don't make them anymore, dt Swiss took over fork production from pace and nearly doubled the price in the process, and stopped doing 20mm axle for 15mm,

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘you guys with PA's, Souls, 456s etc, What forks ya running? Does it work?’ is closed to new replies.