Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You can't do enough for a good company. Not.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We get a good leave entitlement in this job, 320 hours a year but last year was abysmal for actually being granted any, apart from ‘block leave’ which is a week or two weeks at a time, & we can only pre book 5 weeks block leave which leaves about 3 weeks ‘ad hoc’ that everyone has had trouble getting approved. We are only allowed to carry 72 hours over to the following year unless by the boss’s approval so imagine my colleagues dismay when he realises he’s got 101 hours left but the boss has said he can only carry 90 over. Now Andy has applied for as much ad hoc leave as anyone but has always been knocked back, he has also done more overtime than anyone because we’ve been so short staffed. Basically he’s got them out of the shit on loads of occasions & this is how he’s treated. I told him all along he’s nuts for doing so much & he wouldn’t be thought of any better. They won’t pay him for the 11 hours he’s gonna be robbed of either & the union is about as much use as a boil on the arse so It’s probably no good asking them. I think he may have some time on the pat & mick!
    Happy days.

bruneep

If its leave entitlement, surely he has a legal requirement to get it or am I misreading it?

Onzadog
    Free Member

In that situation, we request the leave. If it’s refused, we get paid for the “lost” hours.

What they’re doing to you does sound pretty Shit.

scaredypants

I’m working Good Friday. Although it’s in April, it’s being considered as part of this year’s leave allowance and so any time I rack up that day has to be taken before the end of March, before I work the day 😯

I’m going to be allowed/made to take the time in March, I think, even though we have no idea how much it’ll be 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Andy is not looking that well to me …. possibly stress related illness that will be cured after 11 hours or so

wanmankylung
    Free Member

11 hours annual leave that he’s not being allowed to take or be paid for – that by my rough calculations equates to 4 weeks on sick leave entitlement.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In the 12 years I’ve been there I’ve never known anyone get paid for lost hours but then again we’ve usually just managed to get our leave approved. I’m only carrying 52 hours over so I’m ok (9.5 weeks leave next year in total, yippee) but Andy’s gonna lose 11 hours.

surely he has a legal requirement to get it or am I misreading it?

Rather than go down the legal route he’ll probably just go sick for a week (39 hours) which isn’t like him but he’s brassed right off!

Beaten by WMKL!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Convince the GP that he has a stress related condition. That way he needs to be outside doing active stuff and can go back with a sun tan with a cleanish conscience.

kahunajb
    Free Member

Do you all work in the public sector?

mc
    Free Member

Your boss must of went to the same school of management as mine.
    Do they also wonder why staff moral is rubbish?

I’m actually looking forward to the end of the month, as due to my bosses total inability to plan further ahead than what’s currently visible on his desk, he’s managed to arrange the end of the month so instead of 10 fully trained people covering 2 shifts, there’s going to be 2 plus a pair of clueless apprentices.
    I’m looking forward to my training course that day :

Oh, and I still have 3 days leave I need to use before I lose it..

Northwind

In the bank, we got told we could only have one person off at a time. I did the numbers quickly and realised we needed at least a 500 day long year in order for everyone to take their holidays. Got told off for bad attitude, mathematically impossible holiday policy was introduced as planned. Oh Bank of Scotland, how I miss thee.

slowoldman

He certainly didn’t look at all well to me.

chakaping
    Free Member

the union is about as much use as a boil on the arse so It’s probably no good asking them.

So nobody’s ACTUALLY asked the union?

Sheesh.

honeybadgerx

@the OP: you’re a north east based construction project manager aren’t you? If so I was chatting to a client the other day who are recruiting hard for experienced folk at the moment, drop me an email (should be in profile on here) and I can give you some details if you like.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So nobody’s ACTUALLY asked the union?

Sheesh.

If you knew which union it was, you’d know why.

@the OP: you’re a north east based construction project manager aren’t you?

Nope, far from it. Thank you though.

Do you all work in the public sector?

Yup.

Edric64
    Free Member

You are a screw aren`t you ?

Drac

Your policy states only 72 hours can be carried over and he’s allowed 90, seems a good offer. Has he tried not working overtime as much it’ll help reduce his stress from being overworked. Annual leave entitlement is legal but only the minimum. It then goes to local policies which seems to what they’re sticking to. It’s shit he hasn’t been allowed his entitlement though.

mountainman

Worked in a small bakery in Waterford for 14 mnths ,rose to supervisor ,but owner who couldn’t plan ahead,so similar situ,leave cancelled last min,always working over etc, at start new hol year,can’t afford to pay you or let you have time off she said,because she’d cut staff to fine.

Staff turnover was high to say the least.

So i left just mid December ,even gave her extra wks notice,said i was being selfish in dropping her in it.

Now work where they pay all accrued extra hol time no problem n keep you updated as to amount they owe me.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

He’s not stressed about working so much overtime, at £17 an hour he’s loving it. He’s just naffed off about the fact he’s done so much at short notice to get them out of the crap & this is what happens.
    I don’t do ANY overtime, at all, ever.

squirrelking
    Free Member

at £17 an hour he’s loving it

Jesus, our security guards get roughly double that for sitting on their holes on an OT shift, if you are screws I’d be looking at nuclear (sounds like similar management but 4 on 6 off would probably make up for it).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Good idea! There’s loads of nuclear power stations round Leeds & I bet It’s dead easy to get a job! 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

My point was more that there is far better out there, of course whether it’s convenient is another question.

Even if I did know you were in Leeds my geography’s so shit I would have got Hartlepool and Hull mixed up anyway…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Haha! Theyr’e just as bad as each other but there’s a nukie in Hartlepool. *thinks about a job in Hartlepool*

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘You can't do enough for a good company. Not.’ is closed to new replies.