Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 'you can buy a replacement pedal axle as long as it's the right side'
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Bit of an odd/disappointing one from Madison today-
    XTR pedal
    4 months out of warranty and the axle shears at the threaded end and detaches from the pedal body
    It’s a common problem, well documented here and other forums
    Ask politely if, as it seems to be a common and recognised issue, whilst they are out of warranty they can do anything and just a rather abrupt email back that it’s out of warranty so no, and if I need spare parts speak to my dealer, however Madison only stock spare axles for RH pedals (mine is the left)

Quote “The only spare axle we stock are the right hand side which the part code is y46g98050”

What’s that about, a supposedly rebuildable part that the UK distributor doesn’t hold spare parts for, unless it’s on the right hand side of the bike?!

Seems odd as I can get a LH axle online for £30 from places such as SJS Cycles http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-xtr-pd-m985-pedal-axle-assembly-left-46g-9802-prod30394/
    But as this is the 2nd one thats gone on me I think I would now rather just get some different, more reliable pedals

robdob
    Free Member

Put what you have on eBay as spares and buy XT, those XTR sound like a nightmare.

hatter

Sounds like you got a newbie.

Try Madison Part Code “46G 9802”

“PD-M985 pedal axle assembly, left hand 9 / 16 x 20 T.P.I.”

Showing in stock.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

How long is the official warranty? Has it failed due to a known fault with the product? Under EU law all consumer goods have a 2 year guarantee…

alpin
    Free Member

too light for their own good….

wiggles
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be that bothered if my pedals broke 4 months out of their 3 yr warranty.

3 and a half years is quite good for a part that takes a lot of stress.

njee20
    Free Member

too light for their own good….

Which is ironic, because they’re not light.

Agree that’s an odd response from Madison, they don’t even use part numbers in that format, they drop the first and last characters.

bigblackshed

Slight derail.

I’ve had similar problems in sourcing spare parts with Madison. Their website is shit. If you search for the part number off the data sheets, exploded parts drawing with the Shimano part numbers, results come up zero. If you edit the part number to suit Madison’s search function you get different parts.

Rant over.

shortyj15

xtr 3 year warranty?

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve had similar problems in sourcing spare parts with Madison. Their website is shit. If you search for the part number off the data sheets, exploded parts drawing with the Shimano part numbers, results come up zero. If you edit the part number to suit Madison’s search function you get different parts.

Their search is attrocious, but if you know they always use the format “nnx nnnn” you can convert all the shimano part numbers and search on those.

maxtorque

Must be catching:

Weirdly, that’s my second XTR axle snap, and it happened within 200 yards of where the first one broke last year………

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, I was assuming 1 year – as mentioned above 3 and a bit years isn’t so bad for something under quite a lot of stress. I’d certainly prefer them to last rather longer than that, and it might make me consider getting something else instead though (I have a couple of sets of M959 pedals still going strong!)

unovolo
    Free Member

Should have got some Eggbeaters 😉

Or maybe a set of replacement Titanium axles off Fleabay
    Titanium Axle

mudsoul
    Free Member

Here is my second XTR PD-M985 failure, which happened last weekend. Replacement pair failed in the same exact way as the original.

Bike24.com (where I bought the pedals) refused to warranty them as more than three years have passed from original date of purchace. That is extremely disappointing.

With how frequently these pedals are failing, I wonder why Shimano hasn’t issued a recall or at least acknowledged the issue. There is clearly a manufacturing problem with these pedals.

Meanwhile, my old pair of PD-M520’s are still fine and super smooth after many, many years of abuse. They cost a fraction of what XTRs cost.

eviljoe
    Free Member

I had the same happen with my DX’s. Just bought some new ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘'you can buy a replacement pedal axle as long as it's the right side'’ is closed to new replies.