Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • You bikes cost, as a percentage of your salary?
  • maxtorque

We were having a discussion today at work where someone said:

“The absolute cost of something you buy is irrelevant. What matters is the cost in proportion to your earnings”

Which got me thinking “I bet that applies to bikes!!”

So, how much was your bike as a percentage of your salary in the year you bought it?

Doesn’t matter if the bike was new or S/H or bought this year or 10 years ago!

So for me, my main bike (this is STW so peeps with multiple bikes (ie everyone 😉 can choose their fav…) was 7.6% of my (gross) salary when i bought it. Hows about yours??

(ps, i don’t want to know who much your earn, or how much your bike cost, just the percentage between them 😆 )

whitestone
    Free Member

Mine was 7.1% of gross salary

stevedoc
    Free Member

Just realised 12.1 %

40mpg

2% of gross.

robd

14.5%, don’t like this game.

cp

2.5 of gross roughly

beej

4.3% of gross.

kerley
    Free Member

1.5%

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Probably about 40% odd but who gives a ####

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

4.5% of gross

slackboy

2% of gross

mattbee

1.5% of gross. Makes me feel a bit better than thinking of the actual amount of money it cost!

mboy
    Free Member

About 35% of gross… But then I own a bike shop! 😉

dknwhy

4.5% mtb
    6.3% road

benji
    Free Member

6.9% but have spent a little bit afterwards upgrading.

mafiafish
    Free Member

If at rrp 40.7% but probably 8-11%

Kryton57

All four 0.00153%

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Won’t say, as Missus might dig it out 🙂

And then it would be fast divorce fulfillment 😀

Cheers!
    I.

soulbrother99
    Free Member

About 99% but I’m 17 🙂

curto80
    Free Member

Road -1.86%
    MTB – 0.33%, before some a-hole relieved me of it

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Had the same question/thought myself, and a far more interesting Q than most STW surveys.

At time of purchase
    MTB 10% gross
    Road bike 5% gross

But TBF mtb IS worth more than my car or my motorbike.

cp

About 99%

good man 🙂

curto80
    Free Member

Doh Ivan, good point, wish I’d seen that before I posted!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter if the bike was new or S/H or bought this year or 10 years ago!

Premise only works if bike is replaced annually and consumables (chains, pads, tyres etc) are factored in.

Saccades
    Free Member

Annual

hardtail = 1/24th (4.2%)
    FS = 1/24th (4.2%)
    CX = 1/36th (2.8%)

tbf, all built up 2nd handish looking/waiting for bargains and taking advantage of the bike to work scheme.

fathomer

About 11%, I’m not 100% sure exactly how much the bike cost having never added it up 😀

sweaman2
    Free Member

4.4% of gross for last mtb

matt_outandabout

This all depends on how often you change it.

3.4% – as a new value, but built up mainly of old parts from ST4, that in itself was insurance replacement for the Niner, which was the last bike I built up from scratch…So this Triggers Broom bike cost originally 2.1%, and is ‘now’ 8 years old….

porter_jamie

i dunno as i bought and frame and transferred the bits and the one before was a frame which i transferred the bits and the previous one had lots of upgrades. but if i assume a fully built cost estimate then around 5% for the fs, 2% for the hardtail and 1.8% for the cx. for reference my primary mode of transport (the van) was 4.5%

danbo
    Free Member

11%

jimw
    Free Member

As my last bike was bought when I was unemployed, for the financial year in which it was aquired, close to 40%
    As a percentage of the salary I was on just before I Bought it- approx 7.%

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

13.7% MTB – 5.5% car!!!!!

jes
    Free Member

14.3% of net but its not percentage its the quantity 🙂

MrNice
    Free Member

3-4% I think for the mtb. Though struggling to remember what I was paid 5 years ago (the bike is a bit like Trigger’s broom by this time). Probably a bit less than that for the roadie (er, one of the roadies).

Mind you, comparing to gross salary doesn’t take into account what you have left after the taxman has had at you. An interesting measure might be against net salary, i.e. “of the £X,000 I had to live on this year I spent Y% of it on a push bike”. That really could be divorce-making material for anyone who prioritized carbon fibre bling over the family holiday 😆

cookeaa

All four of my bikes together come to approximately 4% of my gross salary as it is today.

but they were acquired over a number of years and I have at various times owned more bikes, and bikes of significantly greater value both when my income was much less, really the major limiting factor is what else makes a claim on your finances, kids and mortgages tend to dictate available funds for discretionary purchases like bikes more than some arbitrary percentage calculation…

julians
    Free Member

2% ish

mjsmke

7.2% if I only count my fixed income and not my self employed income as its up and down.

cokie

8.3333% for my favourite bike. I’m glad they don’t make a carbon version!

bikebouy
    Free Member

(cough) .just worked it out..

Not playing, it’s embarrassing.

😯

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Still riding my first bike from seven years ago, bought with teenage savings (no job at the time). So… >100%?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘You bikes cost, as a percentage of your salary?’ is closed to new replies.