Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Yorkshire relocation….but where?
  • oldboy
    Free Member

Dewsbury and Batley areas are a little different, but have lots of old railway tracks converted to cycle trails. Not my idea of a good time, but OK for the wife and kids. Not recommended after dark!

johndoh
    Free Member

. Northallerton was completely flat last time I was there…
    It still is but the North York Moors are only 8-10 miles away

And some great riding in the Hambleton hills too

hora
    Free Member

Dewsbury: I once wore a dress there out, modelled at Frontier nightclubfor a fashion HND end of year show and streaked through a pub butt-naked for a bet..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wombat

johndoh – Member

. Northallerton was completely flat last time I was there…
    It still is but the North York Moors are only 8-10 miles away

And some great riding in the Hambleton hills too

There certainly is 😀

bearnecessities

To the “avoid Batley” post, can I add Beeston.

john_drummer
    Free Member

and Thornbury/Laisterdyke

devash
    Free Member

Harrogate, Skipton, Alwoodley, Roundhay, Cottingham, Otley, Ilkley are all really lovely places.

Avoid the city centre, North East / West and South Leeds.

tomhoward

Harrogate, or Huddersfield. Lived in both. Like both 🙂

Is that you G? Hows the little ‘un doing? We need to ride!

Any chance an old acquaintance (from nigh on 10 yrs ago…) can get in on that?

ads678

Yep as has been said, north leeds is good for nice areas and proximity to good riding spots. But you pay for it. Harrogate the same. Sheffield obviously near to peaks, warncliffe etc. East of leeds is flat, but area’s like Woodlesford (where I am) rothwell or garforth and colton are decent areas and not too exspensive. And great for transport links.

johndoh
    Free Member

Move to Harrogate and get a spot on The Stray ready for next July.

I can’t believe how many friends want to come to visit us for the weekend next July…

djglover
    Free Member

Ilkey? Right on the hill, 1 mile from the dales NP. 20 mins to leeds on the train and a great cycling and running community. Ok it a bit pricey for houses as stated above

grum
    Free Member

Just moved to Calderdale and we absolutely love it. Great riding from the door, stunning scenery, nice friendly places with lots going on. I’ve seen The Orb, Dreadzone and Andy Weatherall at a venue 10 mins walk from my house, but I can be riding an awesome technical descent in about 10 minutes on the bike going the other way, or walking through beautiful spots like Hardcastle Crags. Lee Quarry and Cockhill just down the road. Train to Leeds or Manchester (direct) in about 40 mins.

Only downside is in a bit further from the Lakes than I used to be in Lancaster.

Hebden is pretty pricy but nice – Tod is slightly less pricy and a bit less posh but still nice IMO. Halifax is nice in places. 🙂 Some gorgeous spots just up out of Halifax on the hills

CHB

Depends on where you work and what your job is.
    South east leeds is nice, and most folk above sum up the areas fairly.
    Woodlesford is nice (where I am) and 10 mins from Leeds by train. Excellent motorway links too.
    You need to live on the side of leeds where you work or be prepared to wait in traffic.

br
    Free Member

Getting from north of Leeds / Bradford to anywhere south of them during rush hour, and vice versa, is a nightmare.

This.

flyingmm

This is great guys, a clearish picture is emerging. I would be working in the teaching hospital and possibly the university and I see the station isn’t that far from the hospital.

Can you commute safely by bike from any of these northern (out of ring-road) areas? What is the local cycle network like?

Out of interest, I was looking at some met office climate data – is it true that leeds is so much wetter than york and sheffield and a couple of degrees cooler in the summer? Seems crazy given the relative proximity of all these places.

I do have a family with a 2 and 4 year old so family friendly with good schools is top of the list (with access to hills a very close 2nd!). Thanks again.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Can you commute safely by bike from any of these northern (out of ring-road) areas? What is the local cycle network like?

If you’re on the canal then it’s an easy commute to the centre of leeds and a further 10 mins to the University.

It’s around an hour’s ride from Shipley into town.

I would be working in the teaching hospital

LGI or Jimmy’s?

john_drummer
    Free Member

well there’s the Meanwood Valley Trail which IIRC goes all the way out to Bramhope (Golden Acre Park), from there it pretty well follows the A660 in through Meanwood (duhh) & Headingley into the university. can get boggy in winter. and summer, and spring, and autumn…

From the west you’ve got the Leeds & Liverpool canal going all the way to, er, Liverpool, pretty much following the Aire Valley train line; from the east you’ve again got the canal (Aire & Calder), and a fairly short, albeit busy ride up from the canals to the uni. LGI is nearer to town than Jimmy’s but even so, not by that much really

otherwise the A65 out through Kirkstall to Horsforth, Guiseley, Ilkley, Skipton and, if you keep going, Kendal… bit hilly outbound mind. I wouldn’t like to cycle on the A64/A63 in from the east, or the A647 in from Bradford / West Leeds. A653 / A61 from the south, A660/A61 from the north. None of which I’d recommend by car in rush hour

Out of interest, I was looking at some met office climate data – is it true that leeds is so much wetter than york and sheffield and a couple of degrees cooler in the summer? Seems crazy given the relative proximity of all these places.

not that you’d notice. marginally drier than Bradford, distinctly more so than Manchester

Philby

See lots of people cycling on the A660 into / from the centre through Bramhope.

Trains would be handy for getting to Leeds General Infirmary and the Uni, but would be less ideal for getting to St James.

House prices can vary quite significantly between neighbouring areas e.g. 3 bed semi in Bramhope would be more expensive than neighbouring Otley, Yeadon, Cookridge or Horsforth, so would be worth having a look around various areas and getting local property papers to see the price differentials.

Don’t rule out living in the city itself – there’s lots of lovely areas in North Leeds – Headingley, Far Headingley, West Park, Cookridge, Adel, parts of Meanwood, Oakwood, Roundhay, Alwoodley, Moortown, Horsforth, Chapel Allerton which would enable you to commute by bike or bus. Somewhere like Oakwood, Roundhay or Chapel Allerton would be ideal for getting to both teaching hospitals and the Uni.

CHB

Great Schools (Outstanding primary 200m from my house!), 9 minute train ride to Leeds, canal to cycle into the centre on nice days…. Check out Woodlesford (biased!).
    Only thing is… no hills for mountain biking, but good driving links for getting other places.

igm

You have a 2 year old and a 4 year old?

The answer is York – we have the NRM.

grum
    Free Member

Don’t rule out living in the city itself – there’s lots of lovely areas in North Leeds – Headingley, Far Headingley

Lovely if you have a thing for students.

jaymoid

I’ve lived in West Leeds (Headingley), North Leeds (Roundhay), East Leeds (Woodlesford) and I currently live in South Leeds (Morley). Leeds is ace.

I just wanted to give my opionion on South Leeds..

South Leeds has some rough parts but there are some nice areas as well (Churwell, Guildersome, parts of Morley), but it has good access to huddersfield, Calderdale, Halifax, Hebden bridge via the motorway. It has a good Local bike shop as well – Garage Bikes. Generally south Leeds has more affordable housing – so depends on your budget.

I’ve lived in South Leeds now for 6 years, and had no trouble crime-wise. But had our house robbed and I got mugged in North Leeds in the 3 years I lived there. Go figure.

South Leeds has good motorway links to the M1, M62/M621 so you can be most places pretty quickly. If you see yourself travellening and riding a bit more south then South Leeds is worth a look.

I often cycle to work via a combination of road, wooded singletrack and cyclepaths. \m/

On days when I don’t cycle in, the Motorway takes you right into Leeds – which is a bonus as it is rarely congested, which I can’t say for all the other areas I have lived in.

jaymoid

Another vote for checking out Woodlesford as well, hidden gem. Although beware of buying near HS2 if it happens.

graemep
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member

Harrogate, or Huddersfield. Lived in both. Like both

Is that you G? Hows the little ‘un doing? We need to ride!

Any chance an old acquaintance (from nigh on 10 yrs ago…) can get in on that?

Ayup Tom ,have dropped you an email.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would be working in the teaching hospital

Are you aware of the ‘interesting’ dynamics within LTH? Obviosuly I know nothing about what you do, but it is notorious in the area for a management team that doesnt communicate, bad relations between clinical and non clinical staff, disorganisation.

Dont get me wrong, I know people who have worked there/do work there and they enjoy the job, but other Trust do have a better culture (ie Sheffield)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

DBW – I think you’d struggle to get a visa to move back as you’ve been in the West Riding too long and have become naturalised to their ways

Yep, 10 years this year 😀

I keep telling you to move over here too. Means after work drinks which inevitably lead to mountains of meat, growler and drunkeness in Leeds are easier to do… and its dead cheap to get the train home afterwards!

chris_db
    Free Member

Otley, far enough away from Leeds to have it’s own identity but still easy to commute in.

Been here 22 years now. Won’t be moving unless I have to.

chakaping
    Free Member

We were pretty much decided on Horsforth or Otley before circumstances led us across the Pennines.

johndoh
    Free Member

You have a 2 year old and a 4 year old?

The answer is York – we have the NRM.
    Or anywhere on a train route to York. If you are going *TO* the Rail Museum, why not get the train there?

flyingmm

So, I managed to land a job working mainly in York, but also Leeds and I’m moving down this summer with my wee family 🙂

We’re taking a campervan from Keighley this weekend and fancied dropping by the dales and then travelling from skipton>otley to York on sat. Where would you suggest camping around the skipton south dales area? Also suggestions for campsites around York, Dalby or on the coast near Filey for the following night would be much appreciated

marco
    Free Member

Could I mention Elland and surrounding area, like stainland, greetland, barkisland?
    Some lovely houses for sale and M62 is 2 mins from Elland.
    Also great riding from your doorstep.
    Deffo avoid Batley though..and Dewsbury….and Hecky. Just thinkin of living in Batley again really makes me sweaty

martinhutch

We’re taking a campervan from Keighley this weekend and fancied dropping by the dales and then travelling from skipton>otley to York on sat. Where would you suggest camping around the skipton south dales area? Also suggestions for campsites around York, Dalby or on the coast near Filey for the following night would be much appreciated

There’s a nice site at Little Stainforth just north of Settle. Run by MTBers as well, I think, although I may have hallucinated that bit. Good riding out of the gate, and a nice riverbanky bit for picnicking.

Simon

There’s a nice little campsite right in Dalby forest,
    The Site (including prices)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Near Skipton, check out this place
    http://www.masonscampsite.co.uk/

2 great pubs nearby and a easy access from Skipton in to the Dales to check out part of the tour route and explore Grassington, Kettlewell and the villages before maybe heading over to Hawes.

chris_db
    Free Member

Otley!

Been there 22 years now, not planning on going anywhere else.

Chris

martinhutch

Near Skipton, check out this place
    http://www.masonscampsite.co.uk/

Forgot about Masons, actually a better plan. Couple of really nice pubs, good riding nearby, swimming in the river near Burnsall if it’s hot.

igm

Campsite reasonably close in to York at Acaster Malbis.

York is poor for from the door MTB, but good for road riding, and excellent for kids riding – lots of cycle paths.
    If you are considering York, live on the south side near the A64 if you ever want to travel during the rush hour. The north side ring road is terrible.

john_drummer
    Free Member

f you are considering York, live on the south side near the A64 if you ever want to travel during the rush hour

… provided that it’s not Scarborough that you want to get to 😉 Nearly missed my sister’s wedding thanks to traffic on the A64 between York & Malton

ads678

There’s actually a little campsite right in burnsall as well, can’t remember what it’s called though. Masons is bloody expensive and doesn’t have many pitches as they can only open their second field so many days a year, mainly BH’s. It is nice around there though.

There’s a nice site called threplands off north lane, Cracoe nr skipton, although there’s a website called threplands house farm which has pictures of a different place. Threplands doesn’t take bookings though so just turn up.

scuttler

Stayed here in Filey for a night in the van a couple of weeks back – http://www.centenarywaycamping.co.uk/

Nice spot, playground for kids. Apparently walkable to the beach but we were parked on the front by the prom by about 1000 before the hordes.

Beware that the beach at Filey town itself gets covered at high tide so check times if you’re planning on doing any digging.

Welcome to Yorkshire – a county big enough to live, work and holiday in. “Waaar would thaa want to go anywaaar else”

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire relocation….but where?’ is closed to new replies.