Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yorkshire Grand Depart 2014 – Ride Planning Help Required
  • wittonweavers
    Free Member

I need some assistance and im sure there will be plenty on here that could help!

I am going to organise a ride for Saturday 5th July 2014 and anyone on here is welcome to join us.

My plan – although fairly loose at the moment, is to organise a ride of around 20 to 30 miles – preferably off road that will intersect the tour route – hopefully in a good viewing loaction and a little remote from the busier towns and villages – possibly a rocky outcrop high above the road – something like that.

We will be coming from the Manchester area so was thinking of heading up towards Skipton, Grassington, Kettlewell sort of area. It would make sense to leave the cars away from this direct area and ride over to the route.

So really i need to know

1 Where to watch the race from?
    2 Where to start / end our ride?
    3 A good route to ride or sections of route that are good to include in the overall ride.

As i said, early stages of planning but i have to start somewhere!

Anyone fancy it?!

jekkyl

I think the best places to view the race would either be on a hill or at the finish. I was looking at doing something similar for me and mar mate, Holme Moss hill looks ideal on the 2nd day but as for a route round there no idea yet. You’ve got plenty of time though.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I will be doing just that from home. I would look at parking near me (Austwick) then riding near Penyghent, Litton and drop into Wharfedale near Buckden. That way you’ll be well out of the chaos til you hit the race-route. Wharfedale has no alternative roads so will be in lockdown from very early in the day. I reckon Austwick to Buckden is about 3 hours riding all off road.

Prob want to arrive about 9/9:30am to catch the caravan

C

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Ripon Saturday for me and York on the Sunday,

Did have a look at moving about and trying to catching it twice but not practical for me.

I’d certainly look at parking as far away from the route as possible and riding to a hill (riders moving slowly). The country lanes will be a nightmare with all the traffic and everywhere will be rammed.

I’ve seen sign posts going up marking the route so go do a scout round.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

hopefully in a good viewing loaction and a little remote from the busier towns and villages – possibly a rocky outcrop high above the road

I think you will be lucky to get any where quiet!

You could ride over Mastiles Lane to Kilnsey Crag? But then they will be flying past you at silly speed.

Im think of the road from Keighley to Hebden Bridge, you can get there from Bingley/Bradfordish way all off road.

As said above the whole area will be a nightmare as its pretty much one road in and out.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think one of the good locations will be Kidstones Pass, watching them come up the valley from Cray. Spots will be limited tho and I have a feeling it will be rammed. It’s a fair old ride from Skipton, but would be interesting to ride the route and see all the hords of people in Threshfield, Kettlewell, Buckden etc getting set up. We’re planning on maybe camping at Semmer water and 4x4ing/MTBing over the hill on a track to Kidstones Pass plateau.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Will the roads on the route be open for riding on, before the race?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ripon Saturday for me and York on the Sunday,

Yup, thinking the same.

Staying in Huby at my Mum’s then riding in.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

york on sunday for me too i think, stay at my brother’s house in fulford and ride to a good vantage point.

saturday, i haven’t decided yet. possibly ride from littleborough to cragg vale/hebden bridge.

MarkLG
    Free Member

I think you’ll need to get up pretty early if you want to get a decent vantage point on any of the climbs. I wouldn’t be surprised to see people camped out on Holme Moss overnight if the weather’s good. Depending on who I’ve got staying I’ll either take a 5 minute walk into Holmfirth to watch them come through, or get up early and head up Holme Moss.

ChrisE
    Free Member

What might be fun, on MTBs, would be Kidstones gate above Cray then race on the byway (Stake Rd) and down the brilliant BW to Thoralby, over the steppingstones BW to Redmire and see them again coming over from Grinton. Would be a good laugh doing the route to catch them. I suspect you’d have about 60/70 minutes to do it

C

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

My office is slap bang on the route in York – perfect vantage point 😆

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Grand Depart 2014 – Ride Planning Help Required’ is closed to new replies.