Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales – What to see in a couple of days
  • iwluap

Hullo, taking the wife away for a suprise couple of nights near Kirkby Lonsdale next week. Heading up from Chester on the Monday morning and back to Edinburgh on the Wednesday. Would like to see some sights while we are there. The wife is preggers so long/difficult walks are out but an hour or so of the less tiring walks would be good. Quite like the look of Malham.

Any suggestions of things to see or do around that area would be much appreciated!

domino

Malham is nice – stroll (gently) up to see Goredale Scar via Janets Foss waterfall.

Pubs in Malham are all nice for lunch.

The drive to Malham from KL is nice via Ribblehead and the Viaduct.

Take a trip on the Settle-Carlisle, you could drive to Kirkby Stephen say and head south to Skipton. Skipton has a market, shops and castle if thats of interest.

Dent is a nice village for a wander, small though. Reeth, Hawes, Grassington, Settle all nice too.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Went up to Malham Cove last week, it’s a great place, all Lord of the Ringsy!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your in Kirkby Lonsdale your as near to the Lakes as you are to the Yorkshire Dales.

Malham is worth a look, as is Goredale Scar just around the corner, probably about 40 mins from Kirkby.

Other than that head up to Windermere for the day, only 40 mins or so from Kirkby where as Skipton will take you 45-60 mins and IMO not worth the journey.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Bronte museum at haworth was very interesting, is that in the dales??

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“is that in the dales??”

Technically no, and its about 1hrs drive from Kirkby. If the wife is preggers I cant see that being in a car all day will be fun.

MrNutt
    Free Member

grass, trees that kind of thing

chutney13
    Free Member

malham’s nice, also did the ingleton waterfall walk a month or so ago, and we all went from being scandalized by the cost (£5each) to being quite impresses and thinking “actually £5’s not bad”.

iwluap

I like the sound of Malham Cove, Goredale Scar and the waterfall. Could probably fit in a pub lunch as well!

mt
    Free Member

Dales Bike Centre, Reeth. You could ride and your wife could have coffee and cake.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If two days why not do a day in the Dales (I would recommend Malham Cove myself BTW) and a day in a town such as Harrogate or Skipton?

iwluap

that’s not a bad suggestion mt but one I think that may end up with me in the dog house.

101andy
    Free Member

Great ales and log fire in the Listers Arms, Malham.

The walking & biking is also good. Make sure you see both the Cove and Gordale scar – a great circular walk.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales – What to see in a couple of days’ is closed to new replies.