Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales walk suggestions please
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Going for a week in late April, I grew up near Scarborough so while I know that side and the moors, I’m not very familiar with the dales. Will be staying in Malham. Half day to day long walks ideally. Cheers.

voodoo_chile

Wherneside, park at ribblehead 3 hour circular
    Pen y Ghent ,park in Horton , 3 hour circular
    Ingleborough, park in clapham ,3-4 hour circular

Then all the howgills ,gods country

allan23
    Free Member

Loads from Malham you’ll barely need to go anywhere else, visitor centre at the carpark has plenty of info. In summer you can barely move for walkers 🙂

Near Malham there’s the Cove, Goredale Scar and Janet’s Foss. You can do a loop round all three.

Settle is a good base for walks as well and not far away, Victoria Cave and the Hoffmann Kiln are worth a look.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Goredale Scar and Janet’s Foss is a great loop.

I like the walk from Grassington, through grass wood then along the tops. This, in either direction, then bus back for the car.
    http://www.dalesbus.org/Walks/BusWalks_1.html

Brilliant road riding round there too…

bearnecessities

Will be staying in Malham

You’ve hit the jackpot right there!

Allan’s pointed out the best; I often drive from Leeds just to walk around the area. Happy to give you a tour nearer the time, but doubt you’ll need it – just ask when you’re there, or follow everyone else! .

slowoldman

Park up the tarn, over the tops to Arncliffe Cote, along the riverside to Arncliffe (pub) and back over Monk’s Road to the tarn.

devash
    Free Member

Settle – Attermire Scar is a nice one

thegreatape
    Free Member

Splendid, keep them coming!

Thought I’d compile a list early on then sit down with the map and whittle it down to five days worth.

bearnecessities

I’ve got some OS routes somewhere in my emails (compliments of an STW member from a few years back), based around Malham. I’ll dig them out and send over tomorrow.

djglover
    Free Member

Has to be goredale scar, and then top of the cove, splendid walk.depending on your fitness you can extend this in various directions, for example to the watershed into littondale, or over towards settle, but you really should tick off the cove and the scar IMHO

djglover
    Free Member

Just noticed 5 days, got to take in Inglebourough too, the finest of the 3 peaks IMHO

Another classic route I love is great whernside from Kettlewell

thecaptain
    Free Member

late april, you could do the 3 peaks in a oner:

http://threepeaksrace.org.uk/index.html

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hmmm… 😯

Dudie
    Free Member

Did this really enjoyable route, taking in Janet’s Foss, Gordale Scar, Malham Tarn and Malham Cove:

http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=7379026

bubs

Another vote for Ingleborough. Make sure you take in Sulber and the view over Thieves Moss.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks very much! Email in profile bear necessities, much appreciated.

bearnecessities

Sent 🙂

martinhutch

My choices would be the classic Malham – Janets Foss – Goredale – Malham Tarn – Cove – Malham route as detailed above. The only thing of note is that getting out of the back of Goredale requires a short scramble alongside the waterfall which can be a bit greasy at times.

Ingleborough from Austwick or Clapham is my favourite of the 3 Peaks – out via Crummackdale and Thieves Moss, back via Trow Gill and Ingleborough Cave for a lolly.

Another good short one is up Conistone Dib from Conistone, then along the Dales Way towards Grassington, and down through Grass Wood (find the bronze age settlement for extra points) to return.

Trollers Gill is also a lovely little walk, as you can include the pub in Appletreewick which has top food in the loop.

http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/

martinhutch

double post

thegreatape
    Free Member

Think it’s going to be hard to whittle it down to five days worth 🙂

ben
    Free Member

Trollers Gill is also a lovely little walk, as you can include the pub in Appletreewick which has top food in the loop.

Add in the climb up to Simon’s seat for a cracking walk

midlifecrashes

Although it balks a yorkshireman to pay to look at the scenery in Yorkshire, the Waterfalls Walk in Ingleton is excellent, and a good choice if the weather is bad on the tops.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales walk suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.