Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales trip – Recommendations.
  • HughStew

It looks like my wife and I are going to spend a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales at the start of March. We’re going to visit an old friend who has a degenerative disease, we are basically going to say goodbye :(, but will only be spending an hour or two with her, as it’s all she can cope with.

So I’m looking for recommendations of what to do and where to stay.

Pub or B and B to stay at. No bikes on the trip, so a good walk of 5-10 miles. Is it possible to visit the caves without actually equipping up and crawling/climbing/scrabbling? Any other suggestions…

kcal

in East Witton, The Blue Lion – has rooms and I think self catered rooms out the back as well. Great pub.

When my wide and I used to holiday down there a lot, we’d stay in a cottage in next village along, then bike the back roads to and from the pub. Great food too.

mt
    Free Member

Bridge at Grinton, The Punch Bowl at Low Row. Both Swaledale.
    The Traddock in Austwick near Settle, one of my favorites.
    Agree about the Blue Lion at East Witton. It’s a bit out of the Dales proper though.

kcal

could be true right enough. We’d come down from Edinburgh so it’d all be ‘The Dales’ 🙂

Not sure what there is in Aysgarth itself, or Hawes for that matter.

theteaboy
    Free Member

The Game Cock at Austwick does nice French food in a proper pub. It’s near to White Scar caves, the falconry centre and can be the start for a walk up Ingleborough.

john_drummer
    Free Member

not sure about accommodation in Masham, but there are two breweries that do guided tours. Theakstons & Black Sheep.

martinhutch

Ingleborough Cave is probably the easiest, and IMO the nicest as way. 20 minute walk up from Clapham on a good track. It’s a show cave, it’s lit, they give you a helmet and walk you in, so easy-peasy.

You can then extend that walk up to Trow Gill (a gorge) (15 mins), further still to peer over the edge of Gaping Gill (another 15 mins), and then up to Ingleborough if you’re inclined (another 30 mins). The whole walk including Ingleborough would be 10 miles there and back.

I’d echo the recommendation for the Gamecock at Austwick. Nice pub. Traddock may be better for food, though. There are also excellent walks out from Austwick to Feizor (easy stroll) or up Crummackdale, which is one of my favourites.

HughStew

Thanks for all the advice. The walking and show cave sounds just right.

Sounds like a cracking area, I’ve never been before. Sort of looking forward to it, notwithstanding the “wife saying goodbye to a dying friend” element.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

masham (breweries) is just down the road from east Witton (Blue Lion). I’m also a big fan of the Blue Lion as is Julia Bradbury, it’s her favourite pub in the Dales. My parents have stayed in their accommodation and it’s all nice. Just up the road, The Forbidden Corner, Bolton Castle, a walk round Semmer water (low level), Hawes, leyburn, Richmond, bit of a trek but Ribble Head is about 15-20 miles for any of the 3 peaks.

as martin says the other worthy area is Settle/Clapham/malham, 3 Peaks, Ingleboro Caves, Malham cove, Gordale scar (they make a nice walk), Skipton Castle, Ingleton.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales trip – Recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.