Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales. Single speed?
  • luked2
    Free Member

Quick question for natives of the Yorkshire Dales. I’ve got to spend a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales (near Pateley Bridge) with the parents-in-law (in two weeks time).

Will I get away with taking a single speed, or is that just totally stupid?

Thanks

Sancho
    Free Member

Stupid

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I once met a guy up on Gunnerside gill who said, ‘singlespeed is all you need’. I think it was his 1st time in The Dales & probly his last on a SS.

Unless he was gonna push his bike around.
    i mean. It’s do-able. but Why??

sofatester
    Free Member

Only one way to find out 🙂

moose2008
    Free Member

People who ask why don’t understand or don’t have the fintess. I’ve blown away many people on hard going on my single speed, they don’t realise when it’s not super steep you are resting and they are grafting.

RealMan
    Free Member

they don’t realise when it’s not super steep you are resting and they are grafting.

You’re going to have to explain that one.

sofatester
    Free Member

You’re going to have to explain that one.

+1

Ratty
    Free Member

Some parts of the Dales gears are a handy thing to have, but round Pately you should fine.

Depends which way you’re heading, but from Pately most do the popular Nidderdale loop (Scarhouse etc), which is fine for the SS (mind you I do run 18-32) – I regularly ride around there, and it’s just as much fun SS as with gears.

Next valley Coverdale can be more of a challenge. K.Malzeard side easier going but not that exciting, Appletreewick side good going – Greenhow hill can be circumnavigated by Bridleway (but still a fair slog), better starting nearer really.

Plenty SS friendly stuff in the Southern Dales, but further north I’d think about using them variable ratio things.

TomHill
    Free Member

If you singlespeed regularly, you’ll be fine, especially round Pateley. Last time I rode there was ss, and the only time I needed to push was through foot deep wet snow on the tops. As did my geared cycling mates.

luked2
    Free Member

Thanks – some good advice there. SS it is; I’ll just drop the ratio a bit and try to avoid getting stuck behind any geared riders 🙂

smogmonster

I know a guy who can manage anything that Swaledale can throw at him with ease on his SS, including Fremington Edge, so yes its doable….and hes still way faster than me. Still, I utterly fail to see the point of them. Never have, never will.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I ride occasionally round there on my SS 29er 32:18/32/19 and its hard, and dependant on the weather you will puch up something. But then there are hills even the geary weirdys push up too.

Just take which ever bike you think you will have the most fun on.

luked2
    Free Member

I ride occasionally round there on my SS 29er 32:18/32/19 and its hard, and dependant on the weather you will puch up something. But then there are hills even the geary weirdys push up too.

I’ve got a 21t rear cog I can put on with 33 up front (29er). Anything I can’t get up with that is probably best walked up tbh.

Just take which ever bike you think you will have the most fun on.

There’s something very liberating about not having to worry about gears. Plus there’s less to go wrong/clean. Single speeders know what I’m talking about 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

Very nice.

Had to walk in a few places where I could have ridden up with gears, but mostly just fine.

I should probably just get over myself and get some gears next time though.

Some very helpful people pointed me in the direction of some nice bridleways – if you are reading this, then it was very much appreciated. The last descent was a gem.

emac65
    Free Member

I always think it’s kind of funny when SSers change their cogs to ride different terrain,just get gears if you’re going to do that…..

BTW I ride SS about 75% of the time,but never change ratios.If I’ve got to do that I’ll take a geared bike….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales. Single speed?’ is closed to new replies.