Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales Riding
  • jim_1980
    Free Member

At the end of Sept myself and 2 of my mates are planning to spend 2 nights and 1.5 days mtb'ing in the dales. We will be based about 3 miles outside Reeth in Arkengarthdale (5mins walk from the CB for anyone who knows the area)
    I know the area very very well as i grew up taking holidays up there and still go there for weekend breaks etc however i have never ever ridden up there.
    I know it is becoming a good place to ride and i know all about the trail centre in Fremington. Ive also found a few good websites with routes on which we may use but i just want to get peoples take on the riding up there, whats its like, whats the best ride etc
    Bare in mind the most hardcore riding ive done is Coed Y Brenin so am keen to know what its like compared to that as well.

nedrapier

Ha, me too! but we'll be up there for a week or so. I'll be watching this thread with interest!

sing1etrack

You can't go too far wrong with the 'Swaledale Classic'
    which can be easily adapted to make it longer or shorter.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i know all about the trail centre in Fremington

really ?? I thought it was a caff…

jim_1980
    Free Member

ok ok its not like the ones you get in wales etc i just meant someone has opened something up there which provides assistance/shop/cafe (which i hear does good cakes) etc

http://www.dalesmountainbiking.co.uk/

unsponsored
    Free Member

Just get a map and string some route together, loads to choose from. I normally ride out of Reeth or Gunnerside, but further south (Hawes, Settle) are some other excellent routes. The Dales guide book (north and south) are also worth getting if you are in need of inspiration.

DeeJay
    Free Member

The Dales MTB centre is great – and I can vouch for the cake!
    Stu will help you put a good route together – but for some 'must do' bits try Fremington Edge, Gunnerside Gill or the Apedale Road.

The pic is Cringley Hill which is about a mile from where your staying.
    lots more pix HERE to wet your appetite

jim_1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the pics DeeJay ooooo! those winter ones look cold.

We are going to pop into the Dales MTB centre while we are up there as my folks popped in there 2 weeks ago (on their summer hols) to ask about maps and he had run out. Plus i want to try some of these cakes!! :o)

I noticed on the websites id found that the Fremington Edge and Gunnerside Gill routes kept coming up as ones to do, i have walked along the top of Fremington Edge and up and down gunnerside gill. Id presume the MTB routes follow the same walks i probably have done.

Also anyone know of a good route that includes Tan Hill?

jim_1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the pics DeeJay ooooo! those winter ones look cold.

We are going to pop into the Dales MTB centre while we are up there as my folks popped in there 2 weeks ago (on their summer hols) to ask about maps and he had run out. Plus i want to try some of these cakes!! :o)

I noticed on the websites id found that the Fremington Edge and Gunnerside Gill routes kept coming up as ones to do, i have walked along the top of Fremington Edge and up and down gunnerside gill. Id presume the MTB routes follow the same walks i probably have done.

Also anyone know of a good route that includes Tan Hill?

Also ive not heard of Apedale Road

DeeJay
    Free Member

My preferred route for Tan Hill is to climb Punchard Gill (double track), cross West Moor (moorland single track) along Annanside Edge, go down William Gill(double track) to the road and then up to Tan Hill. The moor crossing of Mirk Fell is an indistinct sheep path at best and a bog fest walk if you can't find it.
    Pick up the Pennine Way at Tan Hill (I think this has now been 'improved')
    south to Keld. Stay on the northside of the river and take the stony double track BW to Ramps House Farm. Just after Gunnerside Lodge take a left on a double track BW up to Gunnerside Gill. Bit of choice here as to how you get out of the Gill but I usually cross the river at the old buildings, head back down the Gill along the river for a 200m or so and then take a rocky single track trail up to a signpost. Keep heading up on a track which just stops and then a quick push over a boggy bit leads to a nice trail on the side of the valley up to Merry Field. Turn left at Level House Bridge and cross Forefield Rake (we call this The Moon – you will see why) and Surrender Ground. At the road turn L, along to Fore Gill Gate – take this BW for a final descent to Raw Bank and L to Langthwaite

Dalesman
    Free Member

Spotted this thread just to clarify

Dales Bike Centre, is a 'caff' and has 14 bed accommodation and bike wash and bike store and drying room and showers and bike workshop with bit of retail and route advice cards/maps/guidebooks and cakes as mentioned, the website is http://www.dalesbikecentre.co.uk

Dales Mountain Biking is the website dedicated to the course and tours that we run.

Jim and Ned call in for any route advice or help while you're in the Dale. The CB is a great place to eat we use it a lot, call into the Red Lion at Langthwiate for a real old style welcome it's ace!

Deejays route is a good'un, B/W from top of William Gill to Tan Hill is grim at best non-existent for the main, that's his route avoids it.

Enjoy!

Stu

jim_1980
    Free Member

Hi Stu

Thanks for the post we will pop in to get some route advice when we get up there. And to try a cake of course :o)

I have been into the shop, it was earlier on in the year i popped in with my girlfriend and i think spoke to you about route maps and at the time you were getting them printed. I think its great what you guys are doing up there and its something the area has needed for a while. Im very envious as i wish it was something i could do.

Ive been going up there for 20 odd years and love it, i know the CB very well as we stay at a cottage at CB Yard (opposite the powder house) so have spent many a drunken night in the CB and ive enjoyed a few drinks in the red lion as well.

Regs

James

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales Riding’ is closed to new replies.