Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales conditions – if anyone's interested
  • tomj
    Free Member

Since I’m not skiing at the moment (MrsJ broke her leg BEFORE going!) I took the bike out last week on my first natural trail for ages. Turns out conditions were surprisingly good – far better than I expected. Rode from Bolton Abbey along the road to Halton then up to the moor and over the shooters track and down to Rylestone. Then back over and straight in at Halton Moor over the fields through the woods to Bolton Abbey. The moor bit was fine, even a bit dusty in places! The usual mud fest down to Bolton wasn’t too bad, mostly rideable apart from a short section near the gate where the cattle had churned it up. Be warned there are a few trees down across the bridleway in the woods.

Much as I love Gisburn it was good to be back in the Dales proper. I suspect there would be other routes that are just as rideable at the moment. I think the recent dry and windy weather has worked wonders, though I suspect it could go either way. More dry weather and the trails could be rather good but a wet spring could take them back to quagmire again.
    Think I might try the Settle loop for my next ride.

martinhutch

I did Hetton to Weets Top, along Mastiles to Kilnsey, round the lead mines behind Grassington, and down Hebden Gill on Friday. All good, Mastiles surprisingly so, approach to Weets a bit sloppy in places but pretty much all rideable.

Went from a perfect morning weather wise to low cloud, drizzle, and 30mph winds in about an hour, which was a salutory lesson for me in taking enough clothing!

Settle Loop will be fine, although I’d do it clockwise because the final descent into Settle will be sloppy, and the descent of Stockdale is better anyhow.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We did tunnels and bridges last sunday and it was all good

ricky1
    Free Member

Martinhutch I feel your pain,even though the dales seems heart warming and welcoming when the clouds come down it can be dull and can change with a drop of a hat,went round hetton hijinks last week and was a nice ride if though a bit sloppy,always be prepared is the moral of the story here.

mt
    Free Member

its great and drying fast. Nearly dusty (seriously).

martinhutch

You’d have thought I’d know that after years living here, just got fooled by a nice ride earlier in the week where the mist burned off and everything was warm and sunny… 😳

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales conditions – if anyone's interested’ is closed to new replies.