Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales conditions – anyone ridden recently?
  • tomj
    Free Member

Not been out in the Dales for a little while. As it becomes ever more autumnal does anyone have any updates as to how the trails are running? Which ones are good, which are muddy but passable and which ones are unrideable quagmires! I mainly ride in the Grassington, Malham, Settle area but I’ll go to Gisburn if things aren’t too good.
    I went for a walk up Otley Chevin this morning and it was surprisingly dry – so wondering if the Dales is similar.

Thanks

whitestone
    Free Member

Things are pretty dry this way, the wettest one is likely to be the BW from the top of Moor Lane (the long track up from Hetton) over to Boss Moor – rode it a couple of weeks ago and it was a bit muddy but we’ve had little rain since then so it will have dried a bit. Boss Moor will be damp (!) in the usual places but I’ve only seen it dry after an extended summer drought.

Apart from those, things are dry.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve been up a few times recently, last was on Monday around Pen y Gent area. it’s starting to get a bit claggy as you would expect, but tbh it’s still pretty decent for the time of year.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Most of the stuff round Swaledale only really get ‘puddly’ rather than ‘proper bogfesty’ 🙂

martinhutch

I was out Wednesday and just now. Wednesday in Crummackdale/Clapham was surprisingly dry, virtually no wet bits at all. Even the climb up from Clapham through the tunnels was pretty much bone dry. We’ve had showers since and Barden Moor was a bit claggy today, but still pretty good.

The only bits I wouldn’t bother with are Boss Moor, as mentioned, and the BW across to Arncliffe Cote, but I don’t bother with that anyway.

I think it’s that week when the leaves have fallen but are still dry and not rotting down into mulch, so make the most of it!

Gisburn will probably be damper, TBH.

blader1611
    Free Member

We were out last week in kilnsey/coniston and went up mastille lane and it was pretty dry even after a downpour the previous day. Ilkley Moor up towards timble pond is still in reasonable condition.

tomj
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for that – seems pretty good for the time of year

Mind you I don’t think Boss Moor has ever dried out! If it ever did I dread to think how many hiking boots and cycling shoes would be found at the bottom!

chestrockwell

I’ve been riding more Skipton/Ilkley rather than major dales but we’ve not had much rain and everywhere seems to be holding up well so far.

whitestone
    Free Member

Just got back from a loop starting at Austwick – Feizor – Horton – High Birkwith then PBW back over Sulber Nick, down through Wharfe and back to Austwick. Generally everything’s holding up well, a bit of mud on the surface here and there but certainly not a mud fest. Some of the puddles above High Birkwith were iced over though so getting colder.

wilde86
    Free Member

Hi Tom, so I was googling MTB clubs in Ilkley/Otley area and found a thread on here that you started two years ago. The thread was closed, so thought I’d comment on this more recent thread to see if you managed to find a group? I’m Wharfedale based and ride regularly around Ilkley/Otley etc.. Drop us an email (email in profile) if you want to get out sometime locally. Cheers, Matt

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales conditions – anyone ridden recently?’ is closed to new replies.