Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales and ex-mining areas
  • emmodd
    Free Member

Off to the folks caravan with the bike over the bank holiday weekend which is roughly situated between Ripon and Pateley Bridge. I’ve seen loads of pics of riding of the Dales recently in various mags etc, much of which seems to be focused in an around old mines. Is anyone able to suggest any short or medium length routes within an hours drive that could include some of these mines because the terrain looks amazing.

Thanks, Dan.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

This Swaledale route fits the bill! Assuming you can get to the Dales MTB Centre in an hour.

Cheers, Paul.

emmodd
    Free Member

50 mins apparently so spot on – thanks

djglover
    Free Member

South above Grinton and North above Gunnerside were the big areas I think.

footflaps

Lots of old mines and mining buildings in Gunnerside Gill and up onto the moors there:

Gunnerside Gill by brf, on Flickr

emmodd
    Free Member

And does the riding do the scenary justice or am i likely to just be disappointed?

DeeJay
    Free Member

The scenery is magnificent – if you are just intending to visit for a couple of hours you may not find the best bits to ride without help which is why a visit to Dales Bike Centre is a must.

emmodd
    Free Member

Thank you.

djglover
    Free Member

The riding is dull, but the scenery is good

Greybeard
    Free Member

Only short, but up the hill behind Grassington. Take the minor road NE, turn R to the mines (part of the area is closed off but not an issue), then nice descent down the valley to Hebden.

martinhutch

Only short, but up the hill behind Grassington. Take the minor road NE, turn R to the mines (part of the area is closed off but not an issue), then nice descent down the valley to Hebden.

A quick peek at tracks on satellite points to a nice fast route over from Mossdale near Kilnsey which descends through this area to meet the BW to Hebden Gill. Allows you to link in with fun stuff like Mastiles Lane descent to make a good day of it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales and ex-mining areas’ is closed to new replies.