Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales
  • fergal
    Free Member

Well i had a great couple of days in Swaledale with the family, getting a good taster of what is on offer in the dales, some hush’s and a fine stretch of singletrack in Arkengarthdale, any suggestions for future spots would be gratefully recieved. The more technical the better, although old school XC type stuff is fine as long as there is some technical interest.

ton

the dales is not very technical ride wise. and the area around reeth is probably the most technical. dales riding is more big xc type riding.

whitestone
    Free Member

Most Dales riding isn’t particularly technical though there are some short sections here and there.

There’s a couple of good descents in to Starbotton: the one from Cam Head http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=396487&Y=475286&A=Y&Z=120 is a steep track but with just about every surface you might want except mud and roots.

More technical are the two descents from Moor End http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=395327&Y=473076&A=Y&Z=120 , that to Kettlewell is down a farm track that is similar in surface and gradient to the steep part of Potato Alley in the Peak. The BW that descends to Starbotton is sustained and technical with some limestone rock steps and a narrow gully like section through the woods.

The last in this area is the descent from Haw Fell http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=392447&Y=475031&A=Y&Z=120 to Litton: gritstone rock steps at the top becoming faster lower down.

You can do three out of these four in one ride though it’s over 1000 metres of climbing and descent in just 24Km! I did it the other night and it’s quite a workout 😆

Most of the others that I can think of are in Swaledale so best to ask Stu at the Dales Bike Centre.

thecaptain
    Free Member

+1 ton. Suits us perfectly, but I can understand others being a bit meh about it. Gisburn is just outside the western edge if that counts as sufficiently technical. We’ve not bothered going there in the past year even though it’s only about 6 miles from my house! I’d rather have views and big rides than twisty forest singletrack.

dannyh
    Free Member

Some nice stuff around Kettlewell.

Descent from Old Cote Moor Top to Litton is well worth the push/carry/slog up.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& there’s the ‘hang on & hope’ straight but steep & fast descent from Mastiles Gate down to Kilnsey.
    There’s loads of excellent riding in The Dales.

bspoked
    Free Member

Buckden Pike BW is the other descent in the area that people have mentioned. Steep in places at the top, with at least one awkward gap, boggy in the middle in all but dry weather. Fast at the bottom.

Ingleborough to Ingleton is good fun. Fairly techy at the top. In fact, I need to do this again soon.

heebyjeeby

When you say buckden pike bw are you talking about the one that comes down from the summit?

dannyh
    Free Member

When you say buckden pike bw are you talking about the one that comes down from the summit?

If I remember correctly there are two ways down. One is a wideish and very fast track, the other is a bit more interesting, but as above, has plenty of potential to be a boggy nightmare.

The route we did was out of Kettlewell, towards Buckden Pike, down the potentially boggy descent, along the road nw and climb to old cote moor top. Then down to Litton. Quick pint and down the valley SE and back over the lower part of cote moor on another fun descent back to Kettlewell.

I really enjoyed this route, although the second climb is unrideable in many places.

You will know about it afterwards as many of the bridleways don’t seem to have the decency to traverse hillsides and seem to cross the contour lines at right angles!

heebyjeeby

Cheers dannyh I know a few of the climbs in the area and yes they are tough! (Nice pint in litton though)

fergal
    Free Member

Thanks guys, Whitestone cheers for those, just the sort of thing i’m looking for, getting the map out now.

whitestone
    Free Member

If you get the Yorkshire Dales South MTB guidebook they are described in there as two short routes. They are dead easy to follow. A bit of hike-a-bike, particularly on the climb up to Haw Fell/Old Cote Moor, so be warned!

fergal
    Free Member

Yeah a nice loop, is it ok to ride on the Dales way to miss out a bit of road, or is this frowned upon.

whitestone
    Free Member

The road’s fairly quiet (and flat) so it’s only a few minutes even on a mountain bike between Starbotton and the start of the next BW beyond Buckden. Plus a lot of gates and walkers on the Dales Way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Dales’ is closed to new replies.