Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • yorkshire dales
  • fenboy

I’m off on holiday in a week for a week we’re staying here

thornton rust

I have a 3 yr and 3mnth old kids and a wife who will be coming too! shall i take my road bike on the premise that its easier to nip out for an hour or two from the door? or is the mountainbiking here too good to miss? I know the dales centre is nearby but i will have limited opportunities and full days out are off the radar, maybe one afternoon and a few bits and bobs. whereas road bike is quicker to get out and back.
    Thoughts on routes maybe. can only take one bike

thanks

russianbob
    Free Member

Personally I’d go for the road bike there. The 2014 TDF goes over the pass from Hawes to Gunnerside and thro Leyburn. See how fast you can do it without 70miles+ in your legs.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The MTB, with knobbly’s but take a pair of smoothies as well, then you can do off or on road. There’s some great trails from where your’e staying & it would be a shame if you couldn’t ride both road & b/ways.

tinribz
    Free Member

Or head north to Reeth, and follow the back roads up to Tanhill and back down the other side via Keld. Alternatively plenty of bridleways inside that loop. Some big climbs and well deserved descents.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5904955

fenboy

thats great thanks! I’m leaning toward the roadbike and my inner mamil now as i think i’ll have more opportunity and the TDF route and tinribz loop looks interesting! nice one

pennine
    Free Member

You should be able to get a circuit from the door around Carpley Green, the Allotments & Stake Road. No idea about conditions though.

MrGreedy

If you can’t take both, take a roadbike for Buttertubs, Tan Hill etc, and rent an MTB from Dales Bike Centre for another ride. Stu will give you a guaranteed ace route to suit the time you have available, then there’s cake when you get back.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘yorkshire dales’ is closed to new replies.