Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • York(shire) Accommodation Recommendations please
  • timc
    Free Member

Afternoon all, hopefully making a last minute decision & booking to head over to York & surrounding area tail end of the week for a couple of nights for the misses Birthday.

Having never been to York I was hoping someone could recommend some sights to see & places to visit whilst there? Any surrounding towns / areas worth a trip?

Also any accommodation recommendations? B&B, Guest House, Hotels, can be in York or surrounding area.

any input greatly appreciated, Cheers 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

No idea about accommodation but things to do – a boat trip down the Ouse, walk the city walls, go to the museums (Jorvik, Train, Castle Museum).

Have a cocktail in Evil Eye.

That’s a starter for you anyway….

Deveron53
    Free Member

My mate owns this place. An hour’s drive from York through lovely rolling countryside. Not all that far from Dalby as well.

Holiday Cottage near the beach, Bridlington.

Philby

Railway Museum, Minster.

Also lots of lovely countryside to the North – Castle Howard, Fountains Abbey, Thirsk, Sutton Bank.

igm

Most York restaurants are a little bit tourist trade – ie they don’t have to be that good because people weren’t coming back soon anyway.

Meltons and Meltons Too are ok.

Rustique is a decent reasonably priced French place near Clifford’s Tower. They just owned a bistro which my wife was at on Saturday, but I haven’t had the download on whether it’s any good yet.

RustySpanner

igm – Member
    Rustique is a decent reasonably priced French place near Clifford’s Tower. They just owned a bistro which my wife was at on Saturday, but I haven’t had the download on whether it’s any good yet.

The new one on Lendal is just as good as the old one.

Great service and excellent food.
    You might need to book though.

One of the best vfm restaurants I’ve ever been to – they get all the basics right.
    Great place.

squirrelking
    Free Member

We stayed in The Saxon House last year, lovely place just outside the city walls and easy walking distance from everything inside. Great place, solid walls (had a 4 month old so everyone else was probably glad) and good food. No daft curfews either, off street parking and a quiet enough road with no takeaways or such underneath.

timc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, most appreciated, any more input more than welcome!! 😀

mrjmt
    Free Member

Go to LICC for ice cream. 😀

thetallpaul
    Free Member

York is a really easy city to explore on foot.
    Most of the best attractions are covered above, but I’d add The Dig and second the Castle Museum.
    If you stay outside York use the Park and Ride. It’ll save you a load of hassle parking.
    Your better half may appreciate a trip to the Designer Outlet (can’t see the attraction myself)

Further afield:
    Helmsley is a nice market town and you can visit Duncombe Park.
    Castle Howard is nice.
    Newby Hall near Ripon is good.
    Scarborough, Whitby, Filey and Bridlington are about an hour away. Whitby for F&C. Filey for beaches. Scarborough and Brid for beaches and amusement arcades (2p droppers keep my wife and daughter amused).

Food:
    Walmgate/Fossgate have a good run of decent restaurants.
    Barbakan – Polish – Would recommend booking – great breakfast & desserts
    Meltons Two – British
    Khao San Road – Thai, although we prefer The Old Siam on Micklegate
    Loch Fyne – Seafood
    Mumbai Lounge – Indian

Rustique is a very good french restaurant.

If you really like Indian then Coconut Lagoon on Clarence Street is very good. Try the Dhosa.

There are too many good pubs to mention all our favourites, but the Ossett Brewery owned The Hop has a good selection of beers (and wood fired pizza), and the House Of Trembling Madness is worth a visit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Watch out for the park and ride, we used it on another visit and were shocked to find out the car parks shut and gates locked at 1930 (in the height of summer). Not worth the hassle IMO especially if you want to grab dinner or stay out beyond a 6 yr olds bed time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘York(shire) Accommodation Recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.