Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Yoke-Ill Bell-Froswick path?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Possibly doing the High Street/Nan Bield circuit this weekend. Rather than heading up the valley to High Street, what’s the path over Yoke, Ill Bell and Froswick like from the Garburn Pass? Rideable in either direction?

Also, on a similar vein, anyone any experience of riding over Wansfell Pike from Troutbeck, up Nanny Lane I think its called?

martinhutch

Mostly rideable, couple of steeper sections. Bit boggy between Garburn and Yoke IIRC.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a winner, go for it. Did it 3 times last year!. (No experience of your second one though)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers.

Better north to south, or south to north?

thekettle
    Free Member

There’s a nice singletrack contouring around the West side of Yoke and Froswick thats always quiet. Best going over Ill Bell summit in the middle though. All rideable, best riding Northward if you use the singletrack sections.
    Wansfell is good riding (best climbing West, descending East) but has a chequered history of angry landowners, farmers and local dog walkers due to the number of folk riding it from Ambleside, not ideal for weekend daytime riding unless you can be off Wansfell by 9am.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I rode south to north, as I was heading for nan bield. Once off froswick, there’s a nice singletrack path that contours round thornthwaite, and drops nicely onto the nan bield saddle.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Brilliant. Thanks!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Wow, that was something.

started off the ride carrying up Wansfell from Ambleside. Plenty of walkers and all happy. Nice hoon down Nannys Lane on the other side. Got lost in the carvan park trying to get up to the Garburn road, and then rode up to the pass for the ridge. I’ll admit to wussing out of the top bit off Ill Bell (and some of the next bit too). Nee dot up my game a bit there really. Off-camber singletrack across the scree around Froswick was a bit but-clenching at times too. Brilliant!

Lovely contouring singletrack around to Nan Bield as promised, and the drop down is always good. Finished with blasting down Jenkins Crag which was a right laugh.

Brilliant.

mahalo

Anyone done Wansfell from Ambleside after dark? is it reasonable for a night ride or does it mean certain death?

thekettle
    Free Member

Great fun. Bit minging up there at the moment in the easterlies we’ve been having all week.

postierich
    Free Member

Did the Wansfell Descent last night down the Devils Staircase it was bonkers had to stop 3 times going down with arm pump its not for the faint hearted!

easygirl

Like the relive video!

martinhutch

Have you got the actual Strava link for that? The relive video is great, but needs more words on it so I can work out where you’ve been!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Yoke-Ill Bell-Froswick path?’ is closed to new replies.