Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Yoga/ Pilates. Anyone do it? What's it like?
  • dabble
    Free Member

As above, Yoga/ Pilates. Anyone do it/ them? Has it helped core stability/ flexibility/ back problems or is it just snake oil thought up by fitness people who were running out of class ideas (like cross fit, but that’s a whole other can of crap)? I’ve been considering doing a few classes but i suppose the best way is to ask a “long termer” their view/ experiences.
    So. Long termers. What are your views/ experiences?

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

I did pilates for about 18 months and I thought it was really really good. It pretty much sorted out my back after really suffering from a prolapsed disc. Only reason I stopped was because I moved and couldn’t find a local class at a time that suited.
    It was one of those funny ones where when, and after you’re doing it you don’t really notice much difference. But when I missed a week or two I certainly noticed that my back was stiffer and I felt less flexible.
    So if you suffer from back issues, I can recommend it if you can get a good teacher.

geoffj

My Mrs has been doing it for over 10 years and is considering training to be an instructor.
    She started it after developing sciatica. She loves it, says its good for core strength and flexibility.
    She prefers it to yoga as its a bit more energetic.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I do yoga every week and have done for a year now. It has certainly helped with core strength and lower back issues.

The other nice thing is it’s just me and 11 very bendy women 😀

On the down side most of them are over 65… 😯

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

that reminds me, the other bonus was my instructor was in her mid-twenties and was an ex-professional dancer. made the mind boggle, and certainly helped to forget the crap whale music… anyway, don’t want to turn this into another ‘girls you can watch’ type thread.

imnotverygood

I’ve been doing Pilates for 10 years or so. It definitely isn’t snake oil, although I would think that any stretching/core strengthening regime would have the same effect. It has made a huge difference to my flexibility/back pain problems.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Went to yoga for a couple of years and it really helps with flexibility.
    Also there are different forms of Yoga.
    Hopefully I have this the right way round:
    Hatha Yoga is the slow form (This is the form I practiced)
    Ashtanga Yoga is more dynamic and energetic (I was recommended to do this as I’m lucky enough to be very flexible – probably from karate)

Talking about karate, I found this the best all over workout I’ve ever done.

dabble
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I’d done a fair bit of internet searching before asking this so I reckon I’m convinced.
    Does anyone feel there would there be any advantage of one over the other? I noticed pilates was meant to be a bit more energetic, how so? Is there some running around involved as well as stretching?

rocketman
    Free Member

Started doing some yoga a few years ago after some back problems. Have a look at the Melissa West podcasts

Tried pilates a few times quite enjoyed it but it required too much coordination for me

imnotverygood

Yoga can have a bit of a ‘spiritual’ dimension to it whereas Pilates was just devised by some German bloke while in an internment camp . I think yoga (not that I have done it) is a bit more stretchy while Pilates involves doing core stuff like sit ups etc and the stretches are less extreme.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been doing pilates for about 12 months. It is small place with classes being about 8 people so you get proper tuition. I heard of people doing gym classes of 20. Without proper tuition you may struggle to get some of the finer points and get less out of it. Some of the movements can be very easy if you don’t quite do them right but nigh on impossible if you do.

The place I go does body control pilates. It bases its excercises around strength and control and coordination. The strength ones are mostly core work. Coordination and control can be anything but are good for flexibility.

I didn’t think much of it at first but the once we’d got past the introduction weeks it became much much better. I credit it with a better aero position on my road bike through having more mobility in my hips, pelvis and back and knowing how to move each one independantly. Changed the position of my since I was more aware of my hips moving oddly. I don’t get back ache on long rides anymore. I feel about an inch taller when I leave the class and I can nearly touch my toes for the first time in 18 years.

I’d seriously recommend giving it a go for 6 months and seeing if you like it. Winter is an ideal time as you won’t be missing out on good riding.

My class is mostly middle aged women but I think that is just because i go early on the way home from work.

glupton1976
    Free Member

If you’re flexible do pilates, if you’re strong do yoga.

vickypea
    Free Member

I did yoga for a couple of years and loved it, I gained a lot of flexibility quite quickly. I stopped because the teacher left and I couldn’t find another class locally that I liked as much.
    I took up a weekly Pilates/core conditioning class a month ago on the strict orders of my Physio as I have back problems (including a disc that totally disappeared!). I really enjoy the class though I wouldn’t describe the class as “energetic”: the focus is on very slow, controlled movements.

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

If you’re flexible do pilates, if you’re strong do yoga.

Hmm. I wouldn’t quite use either of those words

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Give Hatha Yoga a try.Nice contrast to Mountain biking.Slow exercise and breathing.Good for the mind and soul.Gives your back,shoulders and legs a very good workout in my experience.Perhaps you could also practice a bit of meditation as well!I,m going to practise more walking meditation through the winter.Monkey.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

my missus has some serious underlying back issues compounded by a few injuries. Regular Pilates (guided sessions rather than a class) over the last 18 months has helped her to get it under control.

I should probably do some…

WildHunter2009

I did course last year and have just started up again, going with my gf to an ashtanga i think beginners course. I massively underestimated quite how much of a work out it can be, i usually finish the class feeling like iv been beaten up by some kind of really soft handed kind ninja. Definatly felt like it improved my flexibility, i climb as well as ride and noticed improvements in both.

zbonty

I’ve been doing both since the start of the year. Thumbs up for me.

I’ve had major back issues and didn’t ride for over a year and was on more painkillers than Jacko!

The only form of exercise I’ve ever done has been jumping on a bike. Wear and tear, work and general abuse have taken their toll. I can’t bring myself to do traditional gym stuff but signed up and attend yoga/Pilates.
    It’s 2-4 hours a week of structured bending/stretching which has really helped.
    Yoga seems more bendy/flowy. Pilates more cleverer/precise.
    Really helped me and nquite relaxing.
    As someone already said its subtle but you really notice when you’ve not been. Do it

Gotama
    Free Member

I find Ryan Leech’s yoga for cyclists vid pretty good. Been doing elements of it for the past 6 months or so and noticed a difference. I tend to skip a lot of the woooosaaa stuff and just do the exercises/stretches though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Excellent “exercise” if that is the right word and even better for releasing trapped wind. Be careful that the old lady next to you may have a different interpretation of “saluting the sun!”

grahamg
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to start pilates up for ages, I was really quite dilligent a couple of years ago doing core strength exercises etc. and this year I have suffered from not being so good. And I fancy being in a room of sweaty women, with the wife to keep me in check too.

xcgb
    Free Member

The ‘achievement’ of difficult poses is not the aim of yoga though sadly this is often lost sight of

I do yoga and have a teacher that aims to balance strength and flexibility along with some fantastic relaxation techniques.

I was a sceptic but now I’m older i really can see the benefits of yoga, I never thought I would, but hey its all part of the process of life!

zbonty

I’ve been doing both since the start of the year. Thumbs up for me.

I’ve had major back issues and didn’t ride for over a year and was on more painkillers than Jacko!

The only form of exercise I’ve ever done has been jumping on a bike. Wear and tear, work and general abuse have taken their toll. I can’t bring myself to do traditional gym stuff but signed up and attend yoga/Pilates.
    It’s 2-4 hours a week of structured bending/stretching which has really helped.
    Yoga seems more bendy/flowy. Pilates more cleverer/precise.
    Really helped me and nquite relaxing.
    As someone already said its subtle but you really notice when you’ve not been. Do it

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Ryan Giggs does Yoga and is still playing in the Premier League at 39 years old.I rest my case.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Ryan Giggs does Yoga and is still playing in the Premier League at 39 years old.I rest my case.

i do yoga and the premier league wouldn’t want me at 28. what’s your point? 😉

I like yoga and pilates – help to balance out the uneven strength and lack of flexibility that comes from doing lots of cycling.

The most important thing is to find a class/ teacher that suits – i have been to some weird/ overly serious/ overly spiritual things. the one i go to now is great.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Yoga/ Pilates. Anyone do it? What's it like?’ is closed to new replies.