• This topic has 51 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Yoga – Anyone do it?
  • WildHunter2009

Its ruddy brilliant, done a bit of the ashtanga style stuff originally at the insistence of the gf but now fairly converted. It is pretty brutal though if your not all that bendy and the sense of amused pity that radiates of the room full of attractive women takes some getting used to.

zippykona

In the new year a yoga teacher friend of mine is going to start some sports stretching classes. It’s going to be yoga but skipping all that alternate nostril breathing and the such like.
    Will be in Sutton,Banstead ,Epsom area.

mos

Ashtanga Yoga.
    Kino Macgregor.
    Nuff said.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kennyp
    Free Member

Haven’t tried yoga but have been doing pilates once a week the past couple of winters. It does help hugely with bendiness. I had very bad posture and all sorts of cycling related tightness. Not fully sorted yet but definitely on the way.

stumpy01

zippykona – Member
    In the new year a yoga teacher friend of mine is going to start some sports stretching classes. It’s going to be yoga but skipping all that alternate nostril breathing and the such like.
    Will be in Sutton,Banstead ,Epsom area.

This sounds like the classes I used to go to at the gym I was a member of.
    They called it ‘dynamic stretch’ so blokes would be more likely to attend, but I think in general in a class of 20, there’d be perhaps 3 blokes.

I really enjoyed it – great to think about nothing but the moves you are doing and having a nice relaxing stretch. We used to start easy and build it up through the lesson, generally finishing with a series of moves that we’d repeat – quite hard work if you weren’t used to it.
    I keep meaning to get in contact with the woman who ran the class and see if she does evening classes outside of the gym. Just one more thing to try & fit in though.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Is Yoga or Pilates the best one to start off with? I have been cycling for 20 years and always had pretty crap flexibility. I started doing Karate with my kids 2 years ago and am really enjoying it, but am finding that my crap flexibility (even in my wrists) is holding me back now it’s getting more serious.

I also started boxing 6 months ago and the coach has commented that I need to work on my flexibility.

Time is a scarce resource so I am unlikely to be able to manage more then one session a week realistically – am I going to see any benefit from that?

stevomcd
    Free Member

hughjayteens – I’d go for Yoga over Pilates for flexibility.

You can do a very good yoga-based flexibility session at home in under 30 minutes, so even for the most hectic, more than one session a week should be possible.

Have a look for the “Power Yoga for Flexibility” video by Rodney Yee. Think it’s 27 minutes long. Works for me!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks Stevo – I’ll look that up.

djambo
    Free Member

Time is a scarce resource so I am unlikely to be able to manage more then one session a week realistically – am I going to see any benefit from that?

get thee on youtube. if you can do a couple of sessions (even if only 30mins) at home during the week you’ll get more benefit.

there are lots of good yoga vids on there you can follow at home (so long as you’re motivated to do so). you can filter search results to only show “long” videos which helps filter through the 4min long ones 😉

numbnut
    Free Member

here’s a good video to warm you up….

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loszrEZvS_k[/video]

hughjayteens
    Free Member

numbnut – Member
    here’s a good video to warm you up….

Wow, she’s certainly could warm me up!

Digby

@ stevomcd – nice write up and very interesting! Thanks!

I remember a conversation some years ago with some Canadian snowboard instructors who were of the opinion that too much yoga/stretching (esp in the legs) wasn’t helpful for snowboarding as it made you too ‘floppy’ – and you were better off being ‘stiff & p155ed’ … however these guys were young and it was interesting to note that as they got older and sustained more injuries through snowboarding, cycling and ice hockey etc that they needed to start looking after themselves – and so they started doing yoga.

I’ve been doing it for a few years now (I’m 46) and if I stop I can really tell the difference as I will get lower back pain, tight calves, tight hip-flexors etc within a few days.

So it’s yoga that enables me to keep going!

I learned from Rocky Snyder’s ‘Fit to Surf’ book and Barbara Currie’s ’10-Minute Yoga Workouts’ book along with the DVD ‘Yoga for cyclists’ with Andria Baldovin.

I really should try a ‘class’ though, but I’ll check out the Rodney Yee DVD! Ta! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Yoga – Anyone do it?’ is closed to new replies.