• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by oink1.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Yodel – Why do they do the "card and run"?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

I don’t understand why they do this.

Sitting in the kitchen and the dogs bark, then a missed delivery card is shoved through the letter box.

I get the front door open while he still walking down the path.

I shout “Hello” and he answers “Hello” with a blank look on his face. I asked him if he had a delivery for me. He said he had.

It was still in his car!

Got it and signed for it.

Why do they do it? Do they get paid for every attempted delivery and he wants to stay busy for the next few days?

It can’t save time!

I thought the “card and run” thing was a bit of an urban myth but this bloke didn’t even have the parcel in his hand and definitely never knocked.

Asshats!

hypnonewt
    Free Member

Could they get compensated by Yodel for holding the package overnight? I have had the exact same thing happen to me.

Cougar

Because they’re cu- I mean, because they’ve got an impossible number of deliveries to do each day.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Same with our postman who can’t be arsed taking the parcel out for delivery so just writes a card in advance so I have to collect from sorting office.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

because they’ve got an impossible number of deliveries to do each day.

They get paid by the successful delivery, the time spent walking up and down every driveway is pretty much wasted time when 99% of people are in work.

Ours are really quite good, mostly they put a card through the door then come back after 6 when they probably have a much better success rate.

gobuchul
    Free Member

then come back after 6

But that doesn’t make any sense. They are self employed and pay their own fuel costs etc. Why not just do their round in the evening?

Don’t some other couriers charge a premium for evening delivery?

Cougar

They get paid by the successful delivery,

That’s a definition which Yodel play fast and loose with. Generally equates to “dumped somewhere in the same postcode” IME.

Still, when you complain they sack the driver rather than provide any training for them.

km79
    Free Member

My theory is that they deliver in batches to one area then on to the next. If their first delivery in that immediate area are not home then they know they’ll need to come back later. Why not just card and run the others at this point also since they need to come back anyway. Quicker than waiting on old dears getting down the stairs etc to answer doors. The amount of parcels they need to deliver to break even never mind make a wage is scandalous. A few years time they’ll all be out of a job anyway as technology takes over.

Cougar

Quicker still not to leave cards at all, though? Why bother when they know they’re coming back?

km79
    Free Member

So people don’t phone up to complain about no delivery plus they can now phone up driver to arrange a suitable time for re-delivery.

Who knows, I guess the ability to think things through isn’t part of the required skill set.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I imagine it’s more a case of knock/hear mental dog, write card and leave, if by some chance there is a person in, go and find parcel in car. If the person hasn’t got to the door by the time you’ve done this, they’re probably not in, shite service, but then again, I’d bet nobody in the thread above would pay the extra for the standard of delivery they expect.

Most of the delivery people who come here know where to leave our parcels, and therefore we have a 100% success rate, likewise, if you’re not usually in, you’re probably not going to be in this time.

kayak23

The amount of parcels they need to deliver to break even never mind make a wage is scandalous. A few years time they’ll all be out of a job anyway as technology takes over.

Unless you think parcels might be delivered by flying drones, then I’m not too sure how else they’d do it… 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Unless you think parcels might be delivered by flying drones, then I’m not too sure how else they’d do it…

Either drones or more likely driver less vans with coded lockers.

maccruiskeen

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But that doesn’t make any sense. They are self employed and pay their own fuel costs etc. Why not just do their round in the evening?

No idea.

I know the structure at Deliveroo is:
    Minimum age
    +petrol
    +£1 per successful delivery

So I guess if you spend 8 hours doing what they tell you to do (leave cards), it makes sense to go round later in your own time if you can then deliver enough in the evenings to make it worthwhile.

Cougar

I’d bet nobody in the thread above would pay the extra for the standard of delivery they expect.

I’d deliriously pay the extra. I’ve had conversations with retailers (notably the shirt retailer popular on here) offering to pay extra to actually receive goods I’ve ordered and been told that they can’t do that do that.

dannybgoode

I’ve mentioned before that I did a (very) brief stint as a courier – not with Yodel but the working conditions are the same.

Most soul destroying hateful thing I ever did. Impossible expectations, two man loads but you’re on your own, boss on the phone every 5 minutes asking where you’re up to – just horrid.

I was working via an agency to cover sickness so didn’t matter to me whether I did one delivery or 100 but I tried to do the job right. I think if I had to do it for more than 2 days running I’d start tossing it off in every way I could.

Horrid…

oink1
    Free Member

Because, bar My Herpes – they are the most craptastic couriers ever! 😯

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Yodel – Why do they do the "card and run"?’ is closed to new replies.