Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Yeti's
  • crush83
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Looking for my first full sus. been looking into Yeti’s But have found mixed reiviews. generaly they are good though.

been looking at the 575 and the SB66/SB66C.

I am a heavier rider, aprox 112kg, and have read that these bikes push through their rear travel v easy.

has anyone any experiance of this?

Chris

TheFlyingOx

Someone recently posted about their SB66 rubbing the back tyre off the downtube when landing jumps?

For that budget and *ahem* weight, have you considered a Transition Covert? A bloke I know has one and gets on very well with it. He’s about 6’8″ and probably pushing 120kg.

RV
    Free Member

I have had and ridden many bikes over the years and ended up building a Yeti SB66 for this years trips to PPDS and Les Arcs. I, like you read many confused reviews from a certain mag website but didn’t believe what they were saying, so took a chance as if it wasn’t any good then I’d sell it on very quickly and go back to my trusty old carbon RZ140. Well, the Yeti is fantastic and though I am running a slightly higher shock pressure the bike is performing brilliantly and inspires me with confidence. The RZ has not seen the light of day since finishing it. I even lusted after a carbon Nomad which my friend just finished building and though it is a little lighter than my SB66 (alloy) I still feel that I made the right choice with the SB66. Another friend has just had me build him a white one up too. I’ll be keeping hold of this one for some time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    honourablegeorge

RV – Member

I even lusted after a carbon Nomad which my friend just finished building and though it is a little lighter than my SB66 (alloy)

Nomad is more than a little lighter – there’s a good two pounds in the difference

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yeti’s what?

njee20
    Free Member

Damn you CFH! That was gonna be my post!

honourablegeorge

I don’t really “get” the SB66 – seems to be a heavy, overbuilt frame, but Yeti spec them with 150mm 32 forks, and describe it as a trail bike in the same vein as the 575, as opposed to the burlier machien the weight would suggest.

Have seen the tyre-hitting-the-seattube issue first hand myself too, seems to happen with any decent sized tyre.

rockitman
    Free Member

I’m a big lad on an XL 575. I’ve ridden plusher bikes in my time but it fits me reall well and I like it. It’s done everything from 24hr solos to downhill days – pretty close to the perfect do everything bike if you can be arsed with having a couple of different stems and wheelsets.

kiwijohn

I get the SB66.

crush83
    Free Member

is the SB66 Carbon worth the extra?

kiwijohn

$900 to save less than 500g?

crush83
    Free Member

ok not a massive weight saving but would it be less prone to cracking, bending and general damage?

has anyone seen the carbon vs alloy nomad frame test on pinkbike a while back?

brianh
    Free Member

The SB66 is a great bike – rode one last week and all went well until the rear mech snapped. Some issues with chewing up switch bearings which had to do with wrong spec on bearings and apparently resolved – QC issues nonetheless a concern.

Almost bought the 66 but decided to go for the 575 XT with reverb post as it is tried and tested and plenty enough for my style of riding – being built this week.

althepal

Love my 575 over the last couple of years- a tapered headtube and rear axle would be great but never noticed not having them..
    Can be built up xc/trail light or stick a set of burlier forks and tyres on it for light dh duties..
    Would like a 66 but it’s waaaay out of my price range at the mo so will be looking just at forks and tyres in the future!

Hadge
    Free Member

Here’s a tip for any SB66 owner or about to be new owner – watch out for water in the frame! Seriously the frame holds water that easily gets into it and it will stay there, with mud, grit etc and it will screw your frame up. This isn’t bullshit it’s fact as I’ve seen the results and yes the tyres do rub against the frames, again I’ve seen this. I wanted one when they first came out but I couldn’t believe how heavy the frame is, especially compared to my 08 575 frame and your getting not a lot of extra travel and a bloody far more complicated travel linkage system with all those bearings to look after and maintain.
    I’m glad I went for a Turner 5 Spot DW Link but one mans meat and all that. IMO I believe Yeti have sort of lost their way regarding their bikes, the ASR7 proved that and I think the SB66 goes that way too. I do like the ASR5 and would have one of those but my Spot was a shed load cheaper and rides better too.

brianh
    Free Member

Hadge – I am with you on the concerns re water ingress, complicated linkage etc and after a lot of soul searching went for the 2012 575. Loved the ASR5 (and SB66 rides real nice) but for me the 575 hits just the right spot between ASR5 and SB66

Hadge
    Free Member

Chris if your seriously looking for a FS frame and have that sort of money, definitely give the 5 Spot a proper proper look at. They are a very good frame, easy to look after, don’t have the complicated linkage of the SB66 and any issues that brings and Turners customer care is second to non. I’d be tempted put a CCDB on the Spot with a ti spring as well, or maybe the new air version and see how that went.

Sancho
    Free Member

cant fault the 575 especially the current model, it is a great all round bike.
    However for a little more travel the covert is the bike for me.

kiwijohn

The linkage is no more complicated than any other dual link design.
    It’s also the reason this is my first Yeti, I really wasn’t interested in there old single pivot designs.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My experience with the 5-Spot was lacklustre to say the least. You need to try a few different bikes. I’d love to try the SB66, but the 575 is a great bike, and well cheap at the mo.

Mind you, I’ve seen Carbon Nomads knocked down and the Ibis Mojo HD 160 must be worth a look, too.

I believe Yeti have sort of lost their way regarding their bikes, the ASR7 proved that…

The ASR7 was a great bike. Stick a coil shock on it and it was a screamer. I don’t understand what went wrong except for people’s perception about what it was for.

It’s a long travel 575 and there’s not much wrong with that

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Yeti's’ is closed to new replies.