Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Yeti SB66c vs Modern Trail Bike?
  • boyreid
    Free Member

So after years of being poor there’s a little money flowing into the family coffers and I’ve thinking about checking out the end of season sales and splashing out on a new bike.

Currently living in Sweden and the area where I ride is pretty flat but very technical – lots of roots, rocks and little drops and climbs but not many extended downs though there is the potential for more downs if I travel around a bit more. Here’s an example of some local riding (not me) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fhr3W7wYX8Y&ebc=ANyPxKrMqJAhdaV7C-vhEkcJbcbGC2re3fNmKsrHV5PsYp7ZMiGBXflsZasI9KUsGXZ4XzUXsAC8v-wi4_YbT–6BC0Ugdb-yA

As a rider I’m pretty good on the technical stuff but have always struggled on the steeper fast stuff (poor wee brain can’t keep up).

With all this in mind I’ve been looking at short travel trail bikes – I like the look of the Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt with its ride 9 system which (in theory) would let me ride around here but also allow me to slacken things out for more confidence if I wander to more adventurous terrain.

But, in my searching around, I’ve come across a second hand Yeti SB66c frame which has got me thinking. Reading reviews it seems like it’s meant to pedal pretty well (relative to other 150mm bikes?) so might be ok for round here, the longer travel and geometry would hopefully give me more confidence + when am I ever likely to get a yeti again?

So, ignoring the new vs second hand debate (I’m aware of the switch link and rear triangle issues), bushings vs bearings and the wheel size debate my questions are…

Is a suspension design from a few years ago (2011?) going to compare favourably with modern designs?
    Is the SB66 suitable for more general trail riding – am I going to find it too inefficient (I’m a bit worried about the slackish seat angle and amount of travel) or ‘too much bike’?

Thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Large sb66a coming up for sale this week….

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I find my SB66C so good I’m struggling to move onto anything more ‘modern’

No new bike I’ve tried feels as good in so many places as the Yeti.

I doubt the rear triangle will be an issue. If it was going to break it would have done by now. Switch bearings are £15 a pair, so not worth worrying about.

acidtest
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my sb66 (alu) with an sb5c. In my opinion there’s no better bike of that generation than the 66, absolutely loved that bike and had many KOMS on accents and descents including a dh out of 16000 odd etc. Was running 160mm pikes and only on the stupidly steep stuff would it struggle. It even beat some of my accent times on my Specialized Epic. The suspension just performs so well as long as it’s maintained, the switch link gets a bit ropey if you don’t look after it.

The only problem I had with it was a broken dogbone link. I’d still be riding it now but managed to get the sb5c frame at a silly price.

From the video it looks like the area you ride is technically similar to the Surrey Hills around here, the 66 will love it and the 26″ wheels will probably give you an advantage on the twisty stuff.

People will probably disagree but in my experience the sb66 suspension is more capable than the design on most modern bikes. As long as your prepared to maintain it which is a bit more involved than other bikes then go for it, it’s an awesome ride that will blow you away. It’s a fast bike that needs to be ridden fast otherwise it’ll just feel mediocre/average, it’s when you push the limits that it’ll amaze and you’ll ride off thinking “how the F@ck…” and then go back to try it faster.

I really wanted the carbon version but there were no frames available at the time.

kiwijohn

As above. Still love my 66 after nearly 5 years.
    Yes it will need new bearings on occasion, but don’t they all? Still a good, fast trail bike & I’d have a carbon version in a heartbeat. Especially with Pikes, they’re made for it.
    The LBS has an SB6C in the window, but I think might be a little too slack for a trail bike (& it’s $7k).

I’m a bit worried about the slackish seat angle

You need an inline seat post, which is most droppers anyway.

and amount of travel

It carries it well, you won’t notice it.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m a bit worried about the slackish seat angle and amount of travel

Travel: Not an issue, it’s a very efficient suspension system that is most certainly not outdated in terms of performance and pedals very well.

Seat angle: Total oversight on the whole design of the bike for me! With a 160mm fork as most people fit, the seat angle is around 71 degrees!!! I’ve owned Mavericks and now on my 2nd Evil, all bikes which people say “whoah look at that slack seat angle” when they see them, and I can confirm that the few SB66’s I’ve had a go on have all felt much slacker to me. Basically, I’d want the wheelbase and the reach figures of the Large with the ETT of the medium for it to feel right to me, and the only way to do that is to steepen the Seat Angle by about 2.5 degrees…

Which is exactly what Yeti did with the SB6c to address the problem funnily enough!

acidtest
    Free Member

I never had a problem with any of the geometry, for me it felt spot on except once when I was attempting a stupid steep accent and tumbled backwards (with 31mm renthal apex stem). Cleared it on another occasion and slightly different line though.

Am trying to think of a bad point and the only thing I can come up with is the bit of extra maintenance (which in my opinion is worth it) and the bottle mount location.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the Yeti, but if your local trails are flat while being rugged – I’d suggest a mid-travel 29er.

alishand

I have just gone through a similar process as you within the last 4 months.

I was riding a modern short travel 650b trail bike, but when looking at a new bike got totally smitten by an SB66C (the price helped as well). It has been one of the best purchases I’ve made, as the Yeti is just so, so capable.

A note on the wheel size: Genuinely, i’ve noticed no difference at all when moving from 650b back to 26.

Back to your main question though. For context, I took my Yeti over to Whistler this year and it survived a couple of weeks worth of abuse in the bike park (so massive jumps, drops, braking bumps etc…). However more importantly I also did some epic trail rides outside of the bike park. The yeti was a treat on these rides – so easy and efficient to pedal uphill, and then made short work of the descents with the increased travel. So yes, it is capable as an all day trail ride bike, and I’ve experienced no issues with geometry compared to ‘modern’ bikes (it still is modern though, isn’t it?!)

I’m struggling to think of any reason why I would upgrade or change bike in next couple of years, or beyond. I also have two other SB66C owning friends who feel the same way – they have the SB moniker for a very good reason.

Gratuitous bike check pic:

chiefgrooveguru

I think the only weak points about the SB66C is that the seat angle is a bit slack and the head angle a bit steep – but they’re both things that are only really an issue on steep climbs and descents. On flatter stuff should be great. The Switch Link can be a frame wrecking nightmare if the bearings get stiff or seize and they’re not cheap to replace.

bigjim

I still have a yearning for an xl sb66c even though I have a ‘newer’ 29er, in fact I currently have the spare parts to build a frame up…

I should sell my ASR5 frame first though!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’m struggling to think of any reason why I would upgrade

There’s always room to upgrade.

I binned the RP23 and put a CCDB air on the thing and it has raised it’s game again.

santacoops
    Free Member

I find my SB66C so good I’m struggling to move onto anything more ‘modern’

No new bike I’ve tried feels as good in so many places as the Yeti.

Same here!

Anyone know where i can get decal replacements for my 66c?

robgclarkson
    Free Member

i need little excuse to extol the virtues of the sb66c. i’ve had a go on other bikes, but they don’t do ‘everything’ this does as well, so this bike will stay with me for a very, very long time.. it’s excellent (i also need little excuse to post a pic)

i’ve also got all the tools, and know how, for stripping the bike down to it’s component parts, i just can’t find a reason to change it… maybe get a new fork in the next couple of years, but that’s it. does everything i’ll ever want perfectly well thank you.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The Switch Link can be a frame wrecking nightmare if the bearings get stiff or seize

I know an SB66c owner who recently had to drill the bearings out. It did not look like a fun operation, I think he will be checking on them rather regularly in future. They could have written the frame off if much worse 🙁

stewartc
    Free Member

Now sadly an exSB66c owner but I don’t think I can extol the virtues of this bike any better than the above sentiments. A classic do it all trail bike, I am fortunate not to live in a country with the weather and soil that can really bugger up bearings etc so I never had any issues in that respect and I only replaced the bike when I cracked the top tube dropping it off the side of a mountain.
    Currently riding a SB5c, loving that also.

Gratuitous pic, OK, this ones from the Fujimi Panarama MTB Park in Japan 2013, not out of its depth on any of the DH runs there (the bike, not me).

braddersrm
    Free Member

I get a bit of stick from my mates for going down the route of spending that kind of money on a second hand bike with 26” wheels but I’m the same as everyone here, I love it. My local spot is Surrey Hill s but the past year its taken me all over the UK in some pretty rough terrain and dh tracks (fort William, Antur Stiniog black runs) on a pike 160 which I upgraded over the fox 34 150mm. She also got my down the megavalanche very comfortably, which covers ask types of riding in reality. I Felt the difference in slackness instantly in the road outside the house but once on the trail it just feels right. I’ve already told myself that this bike does it all so sticking with it until the industry makes it impossible to buy upgrades on 26” parts, which they’re doing quite well at at the moment!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Anyone know where i can get decal replacements for my 66c?

Take them off. Get the ‘murdered out’ look. Stealth is best

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JQu6NJ]IMG_8090[/url] by philsherwin, on Flickr

Love mine, as mentioned slack seat angle is a minor annoyance but when out of the saddle it feels amazing.

boyreid
    Free Member

Looks like a resounding thumbs up then.
    Frame paid for, pikes on their way…

bigrich

they only stopped making them because of patent infringement, fact fans.

hora
    Free Member

Who did they infringe??

johnny

I’m sure you won’t regret it! I always wanted a carbon one, but have ended up going for a Banshee Rune on bigger/steeper stuff as my riding has changed, while also having a very capable 29er for trails/flatter routes.

I have to shamelessly add that my SB66a frame is on the classifieds at the mo…

robgclarkson
    Free Member

bigrich – Member
    they only stopped making them because of patent infringement, fact fans.

i don’t think this is true… there were pics of the current SI link in early 2011, the original switch link was been produced for another 2 year (ish)…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The Switch Link can be a frame wrecking nightmare if the bearings get stiff or seize and they’re not cheap to replace.

Haha, mine was the opposite – the frame was so badly built I could change the bearings by hand, with no tools. They just fell out of it.

i don’t think this is true… there were pics of the current SI link in early 2011, the original switch link was been produced for another 2 year (ish)…

It was Santa Cruz with a VPP infringement.

To counter – mine was an unreliable POS, Yeti were a complete ballache to deal with & I don’t think it was even that good a ride.

I guess they must be cheap as chips now 🙂

bigjim

I guess they must be cheap as chips now

I wish they were but they are annoyingly expensive still, been keeping an eye out for a cheap one but I don’t think it’s going to happen

gavrobb
    Free Member

Agree with a lot of the sentiment above – still puts a big smile on my face when I dig it out, nothing else quite like it and this thread is making me think about a shock upgrade and some more regular use / abuse of this steed. Loathed to sell it. (even tho I can agree with the comment above about quality and customer service – not a great experience when I experienced the chainstay crack)

Are many folks out there running them with a 650 up front? (26″ Fox Forks…) Seat angle aside I find it really suits the bike…)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Yeti SB66c vs Modern Trail Bike?’ is closed to new replies.