Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Yeti SB66 – 2 or 3 x10
  • BigSteve
    Free Member

I’ve demo’ed a number of bikes and settled on the Yeti SB66. Discussed with the bike shop and have gone for 3×10 set up. I can’t find much on the Yeti site to see whether the 3×10 or 2×10 set up is preferred. Most but not all the builds on the Yeti site are 3×10 and the LBS say that as I have mainly ridden a 3×10 set up to stay with that. The only 2×10 setup was on a Whyte 146 before I sent it back in a hissy fit.

Is there any benefit going 2×10 or should I stay 3×10? Would I miss the upper range of 3×10 set up?

Recycler
    Free Member

Don’t run a SB66, I own an ASR5A, but have you asked the Yetifan forum? Loads of guys with the lovely SB66 on there…

Hope that helps.

RV
    Free Member

I built up a 2×10 SB66 last year for the alps and really like it, shock takes some setting up but didn’t struggle with the gearing and now use it as my general all purpose bike. Fitted a hope bash ring which is useful.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

2×10 is plenty enough. I would say 3×10 is pointless on most bikes now, perhaps more so on bike like the SB66.

I run mine as a 1×10.

milko9000
    Free Member

I run mine 2×9, and I think it’s pretty much fine that way.

deanfbm
    Free Member

With a 36t cassette, a 24/26 chainring is going to get you up anything, as always, rider is limiting factor.

Top end, i 1×10, 32t ring, i dont hang about, yet to find the need for more gear off-road, spin out easily on road descents. A normal double will have a 36-40t chainring, more than enough, that’s bigger than the likes of gwin on their dh bike.

Benefits of 2×10

.Less chainring to gauge your leg on
    .Lighter
    .Cleaner
    .Less front shifts
    .Better chainline
    .Better q-factor
    .Shorter mech
    .Shorter chain
    .Better chain management
    .Better ground clearance
    .The list goes on

3×10 is pretty pointless, especially a bike like the SB, which i see (i own one) as mini DH bike which just so happens to climb like a mountain goat. If you’re planning on using it as an xc bike with safety suspension, get a shorter travel bike and fork out for skills coaching (not saying i’ve assumed this is your situation, just saying just in case since the sb66 confuses a lot of people).

kiwijohn

I’m running 2×10 X9 on mine. Is spot on.

BigSteve
    Free Member

3×10 is pretty pointless, especially a bike like the SB, which i see (i own one) as mini DH bike which just so happens to climb like a mountain goat. If you’re planning on using it as an xc bike with safety suspension, get a shorter travel bike and fork out for skills coaching (not saying i’ve assumed this is your situation, just saying just in case since the sb66 confuses a lot of people).

Cheers Dean – I’m planning on this being an AM/aggressive trail bike that can also cope with all day xc rides rather than a mini DH.

I must admit to it being my mid-life crisis purchase, rather than the usual sports car. So yes I’m sure that I will not get maximum use of the bike, but it will see riding at the likes of all the welsh trail centres including the uplift at Antor-Stinog (or however you spell it), 7 Staines, the Peak District, Cannock Chase etc. and even the likes of Sherewood Pines and Hicks Lodge.

2×10 seems to make sense in a 26/38 combo but I’m sure I saw somewhere that the suspension was designed around 32 teeth therefore the 2×10 combo was not optimal. But I can’t find that artical now.

bigjim

2×10 on my ASR5, would happily go 1×11 if I could afford it, never miss 3 on the front,.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

nobody runs three rings anymore do they?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Yeti SB66 – 2 or 3 x10’ is closed to new replies.