Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Yeti sb5c rear triangle
  • jimmon2008
    Free Member

Anyone heard anything about rear triangle failures on the new sb5c?

bigjim

Only mythical internet forum ones 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy anything that has ‘yeti’ and ‘carbon’ in the title.

donncha

Mines holding up well!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Haven’t actually seen evidence of one yet, happy to be proved wrong though… and Nobeerinthefridge, my SB66c is a veteran of several alps trips and general abuse for the last 3 years….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😀

I’m sure some were okay Rob, but after mine lasted 3 months with 4 cracks, then the replacement lasted 8 months (I stopped counting at 5 cracks on that one 😯 ) you’ll understand my negativity!.

Got it replaced with an alloy one, still love it mind, but it’s out of warranty now. Hopefully the alloy holds up a wee bit better.

IIRC the SB6c they gave to MTBR to try cracked, did it not?.

jimmon2008
    Free Member

Personally I’ve had a 66c for 2yrs now without problems and ride it every week everywhere. Not the hardest rider mind but will still get down all the lumpy stuff

Weighing up the sb5c but heard whispers of some rear triangle failures

honourablegeorge

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

IIRC the SB6c they gave to MTBR to try cracked, did it not?.

Pinkbike. And two frames that Bike Magazine had on test also.

stewartc
    Free Member

I must be lucky, my SB66c lasted 11 months before the top tube cracked, far longer than the chain stay on my ASR-5.

gavstorie
    Free Member

My sb6c is 3 months old and no cracks to report. My cube lasted 2 weeks before the chainstay snapped.

IIRC the bikes that the magazines tested were preproduction models that had faulty triangles.

It’s not just Yeti thats had issues with carbon components… Snapierre, YT Snapra also had issues and im sure that there are many others. Hopefully the issues with building decent carbon frames have been ironed out now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not just Yeti thats had issues with carbon components… Snapierre, YT Snapra also had issues and im sure that there are many others. Hopefully the issues with building decent carbon frames have been ironed out now.

Yes, but the OP is asking about Yeti, not YT or Cube or Lapierre, so that’s why it’s relevant.

What pissed me off most on both occasions was the 2-3 month wait on a replacement. If your going to sell bikes in the UK through a distributor, then give the distributor some bloody spares.

As I said, I love my 66, it’s the best bike I’ve ridden. But I wouldn’t buy another bike from them.

rhayter

In reply to the OP, I haven’t heard any negative reports about SB5C rear triangles; mine is just fine.

b45her
    Free Member

shop i work at sold 5 sb66c’s in the short time we dealt with yeti and 4 cracked at the chainstay, 2 more than once. they were all warrantied but the process was very slow with endless photo requests and emails insinuating that the riders were abusing them.
    woudn’t be surprised if the newer bikes are the same.
    problems wont really show up until the investment bankers sell them on to people who start riding them harder.

pinetree
    Free Member

Fwiw, I thrashed the shit out of my sb5c (and crashed it hard a few times too) and never had any issues with it.
    Awesome bike.

jimmon2008
    Free Member

Pinetree, how did you find it on rocky descents with drops and step downs. Currently got a sb66c which comes in at 29lb and is solid and planted on all descents so curious on how the sb5c compared?

pinetree
    Free Member

Luckily, I’ve had an sb66 (albeit ally) so am in the perfect place to advise 🙂

The 5 is lighter, so it s not quite as planted, but the geo is very similar so it does feel very confident on descents. There’s nothing I wouldn’t do on the 5 that I would have done on the 66.
    I had mine with a 140mm fork, although you can go right up to a 160 I believe, but 140 always felt enough for me.
    I had 160 on the 66 and found it too much, so I reckon 150 on the sb5 would be perfect.

I don’t think I ever felt that the 5 was out of its depth on any of the rocky stuff I did. Raced it at a fair few enduros too, and it was great!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

My 66C is 3 years old and going strong.

Which is much better than the Carbon Blur it replaced, that snapped after 4 miles.

richb1910
    Free Member

Hi, Just found that I have a chip developed on the lower stay of the rear triangle on my 5c. It is just behind the seat post on the inside of the lower stay approx 15*10*5mm deep. Had the bike for just over a year and done around 1200 miles although nothing radical.Should I be panicking or is this an acceptable bit of damage?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It won’t be 5mm deep, if it was, it’d be a hole, and not a chip?

richb1910
    Free Member

Maybe its not as deep as I thought and is just the enamel and layering that has chipped off to reveal the carbon below but it certainly feels indented.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Yeti sb5c rear triangle’ is closed to new replies.