Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • yeti or forester
  • turneround

Well I new this time would come eventually and the faithful Picasso is almost dead. Looking at replacements and the Skoda yeti and Subaru forester are on the list. I live in the highlands so ideally a 4×4 is required due to our weather. I’ve 2 kids + bikes etc so a small car is out I’m afraid. I’m not getting new but need one only a few yr old.

My problem is that I have no real interest in cars and find this who process of looking \choosing a wee pain. Can anyone who has either chip in their thoughts or may fire over a suggestion for others that I can look up

Cheers

big_n_daft
    Free Member

outlander

toppers3933
    Free Member

My uncle is flogging his yeti because while it’s quite big the space in it isn’t very practical which effectively makes it quite small.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The forrester isn’t that big on the inside. Best bet is to go and test drive both.

piemonster

I’d agree that the Yeti isn’t that spacious for load capacity. Great car otherwise, seemed very sorted.

hora
    Free Member

Drive them both I’d say. I quite like the Yeti/heard good but quite set on my Fozzy.

Take the bikes/kit with you to check the load of each?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Quite tempted with a Yeti but not that readily available here in Oz. Looking to downsize as we’re moving house and we just don’t need the x-trail, want something smaller.

Yeti alternatives?

hora
    Free Member

Alittle rougher but a Jimny?

richmars

Loved my Forester, but not that tall inside (not sure about the current version, mine was the old style). Had mine for about 60k miles, just put tires on it. Averaged about 32mpg (petrol). And you get a bowl for the washing when camping.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve had a Forester from new in 06, been a great car. Extremely capable in the nasty winters over here. Fits my two boys in the back comfortably, has a bloody great sun roof, and rails that allow Thule bike racks to be attached with ease.

Done 110,000 miles with no major issues with regular servicing. Recommended.

Simwit

I’m having the same dilemma as the OP at the moment & for me the Yeti is edging ahead because of the flexible/removable rear seating. Unfortunately the rear seats in the Forester leave a ridge when folded forward so you don’t get a fully flat floor & lose head height in that bit of the load area. It has to be said that I don’t have kids though so leaving rear seats out day to day to gain that extra load space won’t be an issue for me.

ian-r

I’ve had a Yeti for about 4 months and am really liking it.

Not brilliant for space in the back but I can just stand a large 27.5 full susser upright in the back with the front wheel off and rear seat out.
    The centre seat lifts out easily and there are points in the back to secure the bike. Should be able to fit a couple of bikes with another seat out.My car came with a spare tyre so the floor is about 4 inches higher than the versions with the can of tyre foam which may make it tight with long forks.

As a car its pretty good; comfortable, all the toys and fuel consumption is mid 40’s on a run (170bhp diesel 4*4)but drops a lot with a heavy foot. Heating is a bit asthmatic but that is the only gripe so far

castanea
    Free Member

Have done a bit of towing with a new yeti 4×4 and it tows really well. Balanced and loads of torque. It has some fancy stabilising thing too which seems to do its job.

footflaps

Try a Kia Sportage 4×4, very capable cars in snow and ice…

bruneep

I like mine, once they fixed the wind noise from sunroof and the corroded alloys.

mrchrispy

Love my yeti but i think you’ll find it too small

scottalej
    Free Member

Yeti is too small.

Skoda Superb 4×4. Loads of space for kids and bikes. Proven mechanicals, always gets rave reviews in customer satisfaction surveys. Brilliant value for money compared to same engined but smaller A4 quattro / allroad.

I had a Subaru Legacy before that and will never own another Subaru. Thirsty on fuel and lots of brake and suspension issues.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you want a bit more space you might look at a Legacy Outback too.

I quite like the Yeti but it’s deceptively small as a load carrier, in true STW style of recommend what you’ve got/had … have a look at Rav4’s – the older models used to have removable seats so it was van like (we had one for 10 years) – the newer ones fold down so not quite as flexible but excellent Japanese reliability (better than Subi I would say)

Macavity
    Free Member

“…so ideally a 4×4 is required due to our weather.”

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’ve just got a 2011 Ford Kuga AWD. Not a “true” off-roader like a Landy, but 4WD when needed.
    Haven’t had any snow since I got it, but due some today/tomorrow & I’m due to go to Queensbury tonight so if I make it there & back I’ll let you know how it gets on
    Boot isn’t huge but the cabin is a decent size so if I drop the rear seats I should have something reasonably van-like

honeybadgerx

I’d take a look at an Outback. I’ve got a 10 plate Legacy that I love to bits, drives really nicely, solidly built and goes completely flat in the back with no boot lip. Will probably end up with an Outback when it comes round to change it as sadly they’re not bringing the normal Legacy into the UK any more.

hora
    Free Member

Legacy’s are on another level. Lower though but sublime.

traildog
    Free Member

If you want space and 4 wheel drive then what about an Octavia outback?
    I’ve just got an Octavia and I’m very impressed with it so far. It really does have a massive boot as well.

Macavity
    Free Member

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I had a Yeti for 2 months. The boot barely managed a big Tesco shop.

Was a pleasant place to be and the 2.0 had surprising get-up-and-go!

Inbred456
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 4″ Subaru cockpit is way to small and very narrow due to transmission tunnel on a legacy maybe different in a Forester. I’ve had my Yeti 4 months nearly. Does everything well and the biggy is my wife will drive it if needed because it’s not to big. She would never drive the Mondeo. The petrol Foresters are thirsty, mid 20’s if your lucky that killed it for me. Resale best in class for the Yeti as well 68% after 3 yrs approx, nothing else comes close.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not just buy a none 4 x 4, as afterall its snows but a few days a year.

Save yourself cash.

hora
    Free Member

Foresters are also expensive to fix. I imagine a VW would have diagnostic charges, VW rates etc etc..

Heres todays bill:

Mines a 08 on 78k, had a rattle on acceleration/from cold. Subaru found it to be bolts in two areas along the exhaust that needed replacing due to corroded nuts/loosened.

Charged me £22. Its just comeback from a NY’s trip from Manchester-Dover-Bruges-Germany-Bruges-France-Dover-Manchester 😀

jimw
    Free Member

Hora, I would redact a few bits of info on that invoice.
    Edit: that’s better! Hope you OK with suggestion!

hora
    Free Member

Hang on
    Edit: 🙂

BTW OP I’ve not driven the later shape (08-) which may be big/great etc. Its certainly bigger than mine. My two Foresters are the 04-07 vintage. My latest reg’d in 08.

jimjam
    Free Member

Inbred456 – Member

I’m 6ft 4″ Subaru cockpit is way to small and very narrow due to transmission tunnel on a legacy maybe different in a Forester.

That’s interesting, my mate’s 6ft 5″ and his previous car, a Legacy, never gave him any bother. Nor has he ever complained when in either of mine. He currently drives a Forester which he seems to really like.

Anyway, I’ve driven a few Foresters as they’re always near the top of my list when it comes to buying a car. I’ve always been really impressed by them. Very practical utilitarian cars that are great fun to drive in XT spec and higher. I’ve never taken the plunge though mainly due to my concerns about the shape of the boot, and more specifically the fact that the Legacy is just a much more comfortable, solidly built car (in terms of fit/refinement/noise etc) and is as capable in adverse conditions as anyone could expect a road car to be.

hora
    Free Member

I’m 6ft2 and happily drove 2 MX5’s. I doubt 2inches more would affect my driving in the Forester. I have my seat forward/steering wheel at lowest setting as thats how I like my driving position.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Mazda cx5?

turneround

cheers, i life in the wilds in highlands and need something with a sure footing not just for snow. I have a landy already for the bad days but my wife needs something she wont cr&p herself in when driving down the track. CX5 is lovely but pricey, will check other options that folk have suggested…
    cheers

john_drummer
    Free Member

Mk1 Ford Kugas can be found around £10-11k for an 08 plate with not too much mileage. 10/60/11/61 plates from around £12k & under 40k miles, although most will be 2WD, there are some AWD models out there.

Avoid the 2.5L petrol, I’m told it’s a thirsty beast. And the “Powershift” auto box on the Mk2 is supposedly not very good

hora
    Free Member

I know its not big but…

Panda 4×4

Clobber
    Free Member

Macavity – Member
    “…so ideally a 4×4 is required due to our weather.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

Believe it or not, you can also fit winter tyres to a 4×4, imagine how good that would be!

footflaps

I know its not big but…

Panda 4×4

I really like the latest model. You see them all over Europe in the mountains, they fit down tiny village roads and are unstopable in winter.

hora
    Free Member

I’d have one. Wicked little things

mrchrispy

I know 4×4 is generally not needed but its ace when I get to drive it (mrschrispy is main driver), there is stacks to grip and with winder tyres its great on the snowy hills.

saying that the next motor probably wont be 4×4 but i’ll still fit winters.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘yeti or forester’ is closed to new replies.