Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yeti ASR5 play in swing arm
  • charliemort

my wife’s asr has play in the upper swing arm – it’s not the shock mount, it’s in the swing arm where the bolt goes through the lower shock mount and suspension link

in diagram below it’s where bolt # 12 goes through

diagram doesn’t show a bearing but there is some sort of metal sleeve in there, which is worn. looks to me like it may be bonded in and not replacable?

any ideas?

thanks

file:///C:/Users/hp/Downloads/2012_OwnersManual_ASR5_LR%20(1).pdf

rhayter

Do you mean the female part of the bolt (part 14; the male part is part 24)? ’12’ is a washer. It might look like a ‘sleeve’ as it’s a long threaded ‘tube’, not a traditional nut.

Now, I don’t have an ASR but 14 is titanium and conceivably could be stuck due to galvanic corrosion. Your best bet is a call to Silverfish for a little advice. Or talk to the shop where you bought the bike. Or maybe the other way round…

Also, the Yetifan forum might be helpful: http://yetifancom.proboards.com

iBaa
    Free Member

Item 14 is a insert sleeve that can be knocked out using a longer M6 bolt as a drift, so as not to damage the rear triangle. I have replaced this part in the past due to wear.

charliemort

Yes I e got the sleeve out okay, and it looks okay

The wear seems to be where it hoes through the swingarm – there are metal inserts in the swingarm that it runs through, but these don’t seem to be removable. These aren’t shown in the diagram as I think they are part f the swingarm

But you’ve got me thinking – it could be the sleeve (part 14) that is worn

eulach

I just noticed I also have play in the swingarm. I haven’t isolated exactly where yet so I’m interested in what you find out.

charliemort

ermm when i put shaft 14 in the hole in the swingarm I can wobble it back and forwrd about 5mm

bigjim

5mm when it is screwed in? the hole must be massive to move 5mm if so. Are you sure the bearings in the dogbone don’t have play in them, if they do you get some movement there.

eulach

I’ll have a proper look at mine tomorrow and see where the play is but it sounds familiar. When I lift the bike up holding the seat tube something clickunks about 5mm before the whole bike lifts. If you get what I mean.

charliemort

no not when screwed in – when loose in one side of the swing arm

@ eulach – that’s exactly it – not as much as 5mm though!

charliemort

Update

the metal inserts bonded into the swingarm where part 14 goes through are worn, as suspected

waiting on silverfish to confirm warranty replacement, or it is £595 to replace. Apparently where swingarm flexes near brake mount is also cracked

charliemort

now all replaced under warranty at over 4 1/2 years old

eulach

Fair play from Silverfish for the warranty. Is it a carbon swingarm? I bought mine 2nd hand from a man who bought it originally in the USA. No warranty solution for me.
    I’ll start a what frame to replace… thread later.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR5 play in swing arm’ is closed to new replies.