Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Yeti ASR5 full length outers?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

Any built an ASR5 recently?

I was building one up for t’missus last night, and was a bit puzzled by the internal routing in the chainstay for the rear mech.

Is it supposed to be for a full length outer, or just a bare inner with ferrules at either end? Looks a bit narrow for outer.

Cheers,
    Dave

Kryton57

Full outer, unless you want the cable sawing through your swingarm.

It does fit.

alfabus
    Free Member

cool, that is good to know.

any tips on feeding it through? it has the bit of thin hose in from the factory – do I just tape my sp41 to the end of that and feed it through?

Dave

Kryton57

I can’t help with that I’m afraid but I’ll await with interest someone who can – mine arrived pre-built.

One tip – once you’ve done it that piece of cable outer(on mine anyway)is narrower than the others meaning the clamps on the downtube don’t hold it. It then gradually feeds itself toward the rear mech when riding. Easily fix by wrapping some (insulating) tape of the same colour around the cable outer where it fits to the lowest cable clamp, once you have the cable positioned correctely.

davetrave
    Free Member

Hmm, not had that problem with cable migration, but then I’m running Gore outers which are a bit thicker anyway…

DezB
    Free Member

Useful stuff here.
    They always show cable routing advice in the manuals.

alfabus
    Free Member

I didn’t even consider looking at the manual… that sounds like a sensible thing to do 😳

wilko1999
    Free Member

The manual is good, but it doesn’t actually tell you how to pull the outer through the chainstay. If you haven’t done anything like that before, or any electrical installations where you pull cables then its not obvious. The important thing is to first remove the plastic guide at the back of the chain stay (which the manual does mention TBF). You can use some strong tape to connect the cable outer to the piece of plastic that is already through the chainstay and carefully pull it through.

The problem is if you use too much tape it will be too big to pull it all through. If you dont use enough tape, it wont hold.

In the end I didn’t bother with the piece already through the chainstay, its not needed. I just inserted the outer into the chainstay, gently pushed it through and it pretty much came straight out the hole the other end. I think I used some tweezers to just help it through.

Hope this helps

alfabus
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’ll finish building it tonight.

Kryton57

Of course, please post the obligatory picture when you’re done 🙂

Good luck.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Ooh is that the protocol for when you’ve built up a bike – post a pic on STW? In that case 😀

charliemort

remove the plastic guides either end of the swing arm
    feed cable inner through black tube in swingarm
    remove black tube
    feed outer over inner

hey presto, et voila etc etc

Kryton57

You don’t put the black tube back? I thought that was there to stop the cable rubbing against the carbon inside the swingarm…?

alfabus
    Free Member

he means the factory ‘placeholder’ tube… once you’ve got an outer running through there, you won’t have either space or need for it.

Dave

charliemort

correct – the tube is jut to feed the cable through, bin it after

also – when changing cables – :

leave outer in
    pull out inner
    feed new inner through old outer
    pull out old outer
    feed new outer over new inner

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I just removed the stoppers and stuffed the outer down the swing arm. At the mech end I used a small allen key to hook the end and lift it out.

There’s lots of room; and I can’t be arsed getting new cables covered in old cable crap.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR5 full length outers?’ is closed to new replies.