Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Yeti ASR 5 Carbon or Santa Cruz Blur TRc
  • cyclewerx

Hi all
    I was pretty much set on buying a Santa Cruz Blur TRc but after a demo today I was not too sure about the very low BB and am afraid that it may cause me problems (incidentally this is what I also keep hearing from owners of the TRc as well).
    I have now been looking at the ASR 5 Carbon which gets absolutely fantastic reviews from the magazines and the public, its also considerably cheaper too.
    Has anyone on here had previous experience with both frames and if so could you shed a bit of light on how you felt they compared against each other.
    Thanks in advance.

Craig

heihei

JPCapel who occasionally posts on here has gone from a ASR 5 aluminium to a TRc. He is a lot quicker on the TRc and reckons it’s the best bike he’s owned (DW and non-HL 5 Spots, Ti Ragley before). He rides Surrey Hills and never heard him complain about the bb height on the TRc – in fact it’s one of the things he loves about it.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Had mine for about 8 weeks not had any problems with low BB , not one pedal strike….which is unusual for me 😀

cyclewerx

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I’ll try and get in touch with JPCapel and get his take on it as well 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

maybe run 170mm cranks instead of 175mm and some lower profile pedals?

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’m running 175mm cranks and V12 pedals so quite thick by the latest thin stuff available, my 29er was more prone to strikes…
    So far I’ve been really impressed by the bike flies on the DH techy stuff but light enough to climb easily , when you pump it , the bike shoooots forwards and leaves the ground with ease , and has so much traction on climbs its amazing, the fitter you are the more you will get out of the TRc 😀 cant wait til summer..

out on the trails today 😀

Stevelol
    Free Member

I run 170 cranks, vault pedals and a 140mm rev, I don’t get any more strikes than with other bikes but you do have to adjust your pedalling technique and look out for rocks more. I would recommend a bash guard andthe downtube/lower link protector though.

wrecker
    Free Member

Ill go out on a limb and say that you’ll be very happy with either. I am a Santa Cruz fan, I finally got a LTc recently (after years of wanting one) and it doesn’t disappoint.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Both are good bikes and I demoed them both last year and yes I knocked the SC pedals a lot … But deferent strokes, different folks. I wouldn’t buy the SC.

cyclewerx

Thanks for all the info guys. I do like the TRc a lot but I think I am slightly going towards the Yeti. I love the characteristics that you get from a hardtail and think that I would get that feeling more from the Yeti as its rear shock has been set up so that its “like a sports car suspension” as Yeti worded it and that I think would suit me down to the ground. The SC felt very plush but maybe that’s a little too much for what I am wanting.
    I like to have to work at my lines and reap the rewards for the effort i’ve put in and the Yeti seems to deliver that in spades.
    Plus £2200 for a carbon frame with Kashima Fox Float CTD is cheap compared to £2750 for a TRc with the same shock.

cyclewerx

@ti_pin_man how did you like the Yeti?

Jeffus
    Free Member

5 year warranty with SC and life time on the bearings 😀

v10
    Free Member

Owned both, imo the TRc blows the ASR away in pretty much every department. Had a few crank rockstrikes on the TRc but its a small price to pay for how good it feels in the corners. The TRc does fit me better than the ASR did which will obviously go someway to forging my opinion but i think regardless of this the TRc is quicker and more fun up, along, down (and sideways :D)

Nobby

If you haven’t ridden both I’d suggest you try to. My last mtb purchase was meant to be a Blur but after testing one I decided to try a fair few others – ended up with an ASR. IMHO, they ride very differently.

stewartc
    Free Member

Went from ASR5a to TRc and would say the the TRc is a better bike (of two very good bikes) The reason I preferred the TRc, climbing,
    where I live you have to climb a lot and I found the TRc to be a more stable platform going up and more plush going down. Despite issues with the BB on both models its nothing to worry about and something you will soon compensate for when riding.
    Why not go to the SB66 like I did, you get the best of both worlds when going up and down…and across?

Superficial
    Free Member

If you look at geometry they’re very similar. Santa Cruz has a shorter top tube than yeti (comparing large with large etc) but otherwise pretty much the same. Don’t think the BB height is very different between the two (and not a problem for me on my ASR5).

However the suspension is a very different feel – the yeti feels very lively and firm. The sports car analogy is apt IMO. Santa Cruz blurs feel a bit magic-carpety to me and not as involving – admittedly my opinion is based on riding a Blur LTc not a TR (and only for a short time) but I’d imagine the feel is similar – it left me a little cold. I prefer my ASR but I can see why others would like the VPP.

Although the ASR feels plenty stiff and sturdy, my only hesitation is that it’s a 5lbs full sus frame, it’s gotta snap, surely? So I do worry a bit about throwing it off drops, perhaps that’s unfounded. That video of rat boy on the new Blur alu makes me want one, if it can handle that sort of abuse!

Carlos45
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden the Yeti but I have the TrC having previously had a Scott Genius. TrC is a fantastic bike – no issues with the lower BB, stability is great and it climbs like a dream.

kinger

I’ve had plenty of experience of both to be honest – the reviews suggested that I would notice pedal clearance on the TrC but have really not noticed it to be an issue. With TrC forks at 130mm then I clipped pedals the odd time but never enough of an issue, and never have once put the fork up to 140mm.
    Equally on Asr5, you will clip your pedals the odd time when running a 120mm fork but the bike comes alive with a slightly longer fork in my opinion – Yeti in the US used to run a 130mm Float which was a great compromise.
    Both are amazing bikes, warranty period differs as does the price and guess you don’t see TrCs 2nd hand very often. However as v10 rightly says, these bikes rail corners so well that i wouldn’t mind the odd pedal strike if it meant I had the cornering that the lower BB gives.
    Hope that helps, Stu

cyclewerx

That’s some really good feed back there guys. I’m torn between the two even more! I still think I am leaning slightly towards the Yeti still for the following reasons: A) it has a slightly stiffer platform which to me is a plus, I’m not a fan of that ‘magic carpet’ feel. B) It is cheaper by £500. C) I couldn’t quite get comfortable on the SC even after trying medium and large with different size stems, I felt in-between the two.
    As much as I appreciate everyone’s opinion I really can’t see how the SC ‘blows the Yeti out of the water’ as a couple have mentioned. I don’t dispute that they may prefer the SC but I can’t imagine the differences being that much (i may be wrong – I often am!)
    I now need to go and test ride a Yeti so I can form a proper and valid opinion 🙂

cyclewerx

@kinger cheers for that input. You mention that the ASR5 comes alive with bigger forks, I would be putting Revelations dropped to 140mm, is this in your opinion going to make it a better ride (pinkbike tested it with full 150mm and loved it).
    If the bottom bracket height is similar on both bikes but the Yeti has a slightly longer wheel base doesn’t the Yeti rail corners equally as well?
    Sorry for all the questions but buying one of these is a costly exercise and I like getting as much info from owners/former owners as possible 🙂

kinger

From my experience, the Asr5 comes alive if you push it really hard – check out some of the Yeti vids with their dh riders on them with 140mm forks. It’s only warrantied for upto 140mm but PinkBike did say that when they put 150mm on theirs – I found it a little wandery (sp?) on climbs with 140mm forks whereas the sweet spot seemed to be 130mm, like the guys at Yeti HQ were running.
    However it is still essentially a lightweight xc bike that can be pushed harder if you want to – whereas the TrC IMHO is designed with harder riding in mind.

JPcapel
    Free Member

Just spotted this post.

Its splitting hairs reflecting on the subtle differences between the ASR5 and the TRc. I originally wanted the TRc and bought the Yeti having considered the 2 very similar in geometry, and design. The OP appears to be having the same considerations I went through, they are similar, why pay more for the TRc when the Yeti is so close.

The yeti has a longer TT on a medium frame size, which went in its favour Vs the TRc.

For me I could never quite get the shock set up right on the Yeti, it needed to be run firmer than ideal in order to tame the bob.

I went to the TRc knowing the VPP link would do a better job of hiding the bob, which having previously owned DW link bikes I knew I liked.

The TRc allows you to run a softer rear shock set up, but not have bob and for me this makes it the better bike, no messing with pro pedal for climbs, the bike is always supple for the trail and will stiffen as I pedal and want the bike to be reactive.

Both are really nicely finished frames, I went with the bolt through axle upgrade for the Yeti which did make a difference and improved its feel through rocky sections.
    The TRc with a Qr rear is easily as stiff, if not stiffer.

Both bikes sit low and 170mm cranks are the longest you’d want, I did run 167.5 on the Yeti with good results. Both handle brilliantly, the TRc slightly edges ahead here for me, probably siting a tad lower than the yeti, due to softer set up on the shock and cornerning is what these bikes are all about.

The build weight for mine, including 1×10, 140mm forks and dropper post is 25.5lbs which is great for longer Xc rides. At chicksands its was the best 4x and dual bike I’ve ever taken there, better than a hardtail.

The differences are subtle, the TRc doesn’t blow the ASR5 out the water, far from. But with the benefit of having spent about 10months on the ASR5 and 5months now on the TRc, the latter edges ahead, IMO.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both and liked both. Granted the TrC (Large) was an extended car park test at Stif Cycles but impressive non the less. A good fit (for me at 6’1″), light and flickable. It seemed to surge forward every pedal stroke and held its speed well.

But then again so did the ASR5C. I had an aluminium version for a weekend arranged through JD Cycles. The carbon version was the bike I had always lusted after since it’s release. Mainly because from what I’d read and seen I thought it would suit me and my riding style. I was slightly apprehensive about the demo. Mainly because when you’ve lusted after something you don’t want to be left disappointed. I was also concerned about the sizing as Yeti recommended the Large for my height which seemed at odds with previous bikes geo. Large is indeed the correct frame size.

The alu version felt lithe, fast and pretty solid. It was a pleasure to ride and didn’t disappoint. It sits nicely in its travel. Accelerates well when stomping on the pedals without much feedback and feels more than enough when it points downwards. When you do descend on it it feels great. Very stable and confidence inspiring.

So I bought this…

I’ve had it since June ’12. 140 CTDs up front are a good match for the bike. 142×12 bolt through rear plus the stiffness of the carbon frame compliment each other. It goes up, down, across, everything, quickly. Love it. It feels like the type of bike that wants to be ridden ‘flat out’ everywhere until you’re spent.

Like others have said on here though, there’s not much difference between the two bikes. Fit is all important as the sizing is slightly different between SC and Yeti. Again, A.S versus V.P.P suspension design is personal preference. Try/demo both and enjoy whatever you buy.

cyclewerx

To all who have replied to this topic…many thanks, I’ve really enjoyed and taken on board your feedback. I have a demo on the Yeti this weekend so am looking forward to that. I still think I am leaning towards the Yeti for the reasons I have mentioned in the above post. I just hope that it can handle the type of riding that I intend to use it for, I haven’t seen the videos yet of the DHers thrashing em that are on Yeti website but I’ll check them out tonight. If the bike can handle what they give out though I’m sure they can handle me! If its classed as an aggressive xc/trail bike that’s perfect for me. Saying that, Stainburn is classed as XC and those who have ridden there will know that its not everyone’s idea of xc…can be very brutal if you cock up!!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d like to try the new Blur TR (the TRc is way too expensive for me) but I’m also a little concerned about the BB height.

As for the Yeti, I’ll be honest I didn’t like it (again, not the carbon version might I add). I’d read the reviews and loved the sound of it, but I spent all my demo ride just not really getting it. It didn’t seem to surge forward the way I expected and felt way too firm for my liking. I’m not a slow rider, but I definitely felt I wasn’t quick enough to make the most of the ASR5. I imagine it could be a frustrating bike for a long ride. As said above, I think the sports car analogy is apt.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Cyclewerx – hope the Yeti demo goes well at the weekend, just a thought though, re: TRc price. The 2013 frame and shock price is slightly lower for 2013 – £2599, I’m sure it would be possible to negotiate a 5-10% discount with a Santa Cruz dealer if you pay it all up front so that would mean you could get a 2013 TRc frame for say £2340… just a thought to add to the mix! 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

As for the Yeti, I’ll be honest I didn’t like it (again, not the carbon version might I add). I’d read the reviews and loved the sound of it, but I spent all my demo ride just not really getting it. It didn’t seem to surge forward the way I expected and felt way too firm for my liking. I’m not a slow rider, but I definitely felt I wasn’t quick enough to make the most of the ASR5. I imagine it could be a frustrating bike for a long ride. As said above, I think the sports car analogy is apt.

I definitely don’t find this problem with mine – if anything it loves being ridden hard and eggs you on to ride more. It’s light so the uphills go by pretty quickly and I often find myself adding extra distance onto a planned ride. Having said that it seems to be at its best when riding at 110% – up and down.

dan45a
    Free Member

@cyclewerx- skyline cycles at afan have a new asr5c frame for £1599. That’s a great price!

I have 2012 ASR5c with 140mm float forks and I love it!! Don’t think you can go wrong whichever bike you choose!

cyclewerx

@dan45a thanks for that, I’ll check it out asap:)

cyclewerx

Right then, there’s been a bit of a turn around. I came across a 2011 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR carbon new from a shop for £1100 which is a bargain…so I’ve bought it.
    I’ll post pics when built up.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

😀

Jeffus
    Free Member

Awesome is it built yet shows us your pics 😀

cyclewerx

@jeffus no its not built yet. I went a bit crazy with the spending and just waiting for everything to arrive. Lots of carbon, Chromag and X0 stuff coming! As soon as it’s built up I’ll put some pics on here 😀

cyclewerx

@kingofbiscuits

If it looks anything as good as your Yeti I will be very happy. VERY nice looking bike you’ve got there fella 😀

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR 5 Carbon or Santa Cruz Blur TRc’ is closed to new replies.