Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Yeti ASR 5 – carbon or alloy?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

There’s been the odd post on this before and the general feeling seems to be that the full carbon frame is “better” than the alloy. Is there any good reason – other than cost – to stick with the alloy?

On a related question, is the ASR5 that much better than an Orange 5, a Trek Fuel, Stumpy, Zesty or one of the other fave 5 incher “all rounders”? Is the Genesis Grapil worth swinging a leg over?

Questions questions 😀

rexated
    Free Member

Carbon, because I have one for sale 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Why are you selling?

raisinhat
    Free Member

The alloy one does have cable routing for a dropper post, but the carbon one does seem to be the one to go for if you have the cash – a bit lighter, but probably stronger and stiffer.

Is it better than any of the other frames? That really depends on how you ride and what you like. The ASR5 doesn’t have a plush feeling, and all the reviews say it needs to be pushed hard and fast to get the most out of it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I like a bike that encourages fast riding but if I’m honest I need forgiving too. I like a fun and stable bike on the downs but do need something that is a good climber not simply an OK one.

Kryton57

The ASR 5 is an incredible climber. Don’t listen to those who say it isn’t plush. The general rule is 25% sag is “efficien”t, 30% is plush. I rode everything on your list except the lappierre and the genesis and it was leaps ahead – and the Trek was no 1 on my list before the yeti.

It’s very versatile, very balanced and has no bad habits. It’s a genuine top of the league bike. If you have the money for the carbon frame get it, but the marginal difference us very small – the alloy asr will serve you very well indeed.

And you can pootle as well as push – its steenghts are highlighted at speed though, nothing bad happens at slow speed with an asr5

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I reckon it’s worth a back to back of the ASR5 with the ubiquitous Orange 5. They’re both bikes raved about by people who actually ride them but the Yeti strikes me as the one that would allow me to zoom up as well as down.

P20

I bought the carbon, but if the alloy had been in stock I probably would have bought it. Mine was a bit of an impulse buy and I hadn’t ridden either. It replaced an older 575 and its been bloody fabulous

chojin
    Free Member

I might be selling my alloy ASR5 in the very near future if interested 🙂

Kryton57

chojin – Member
    I might be selling my alloy ASR5 in the very near future if interested

I’m sorry you’ve lost your job*

*surely the only reason you’d sell it

chojin
    Free Member

Worse than that I’m afraid, I’m not going to be able to use it for a very long time and would hate to see it not get used :/

dan45a
    Free Member

I went from an alloy zesty to a carbon zesty to asr5c and don’t regret it one bit. I feel the Yeti is better at just about everything.

I demo’d an alloy yeti and really enjoyed that. The carbon is better but only slightly, obviously lighter but also feel less trail buzz. Carbon also looks the nuts..

I have debated the plush comments with kryton57 before, I feel the yeti is not as plush as or forgiving as a zesty, but does not slow you down or limit you in any way. The yeti 5 is the quickest trail bike I have tried both up and down…

Santa Cruz trc is also worth a look if you want this type of bike…

To answer your original question….Get the carbon if you can 🙂

bigjim

For me the price of the carbon over the alu wasn’t worth it in terms of weight saving, and I’m a bit clumsy with bikes and wary of full carbon though have had no problems with the carbon rear.

I test rode an orange 5 and although the 5 was nice going down the asr5 felt much better on the ups and pedallay bits and just comes alive going down.

it is an amazing bike and I would be amazed if you regretted buying one!

philbert31
    Free Member

Worse than that I’m afraid, I’m not going to be able to use it for a very long time and would hate to see it not get used :/

Ah Shawshank…….say no more 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Took the alloy ASR5 out for a test ride at Cannock today, as well as an Orange 5. I’ve got to say I preferred the Orange. I struggled to get the Yeti “just so” and was fettling with shock pressure, tyre pressure and contact points trying to get it to ride how I wanted. The Orange just felt right from the first pedal: much more stable and more fun. The Yeti never felt as happy on the downs and i found the suspension was too noticeable. Slower rebound might have helped but maybe I simply don’t have the skillz to make the most of it…or maybe it just ain’t the bike for me.

bikebob

If the 5 felt right, then there is nothing more to add. You have to go with the one that feels right and makes you smile.
    I have ridden both and I loved the 5, couldn’t fault it. The yeti however just made me smile and the ride come alive. There will be lots of opinions on here, mine being one. Either way both are great bikes and you won’t go wrong with either or indeed probably any of the others. ( I’ve not ridden others on your list). Enjoy

variflex
    Free Member

don’t worry, very good friend of mine rode 5 bikes back to back including asr5 and orange 5 and decided on the orange. must say he is super fast on the downhills. I bought the asr5 having never ridden it and now spend more time on hardtails so go figure. always best to ride what feels best. as longs as its fun who gives a hoot

bones76
    Free Member

I have a ASR 5C and its a fantastic bike and for me is great at going up hill as it is coming down, you will not be disappointed if you bought this frame/bike…

Weasel
    Free Member

I have just purchased a 2013 ASR 5 (alloy).

I had a SC Blur Classic & Heckler and wanted rid of both and one bike between the two.

I couldn’t find a SC frame at the right price so got the ASR 5, I had the Revelations from the Heckler dropped to 130 and off we go, still need to tweak the CTD shock a bit but it’s a good bike.

Before I rode it, I spent a lot of time wrapping the carbon rear triangle and adding protection on cable rub areas – there seem quite a lot in my opinion.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR 5 – carbon or alloy?’ is closed to new replies.