Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Yeti ASR 5 alternatives? (Second hand 26" full sus frame)
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Looking for a full sus frame with around 120mm travel – this is to replace a BFe frame so I have the following requirements:-

– Needs to be designed for a 120-130mm fork (I’ve just shortened my Fox 32s from 140mm) – ideally that sort of travel at the back.
    – Lightweight frame (I’m a short, light XC rider, so I’m a bit of a mincer and value lightweight over burliness)
    – Takes a 31.6mm post (so my Reverb from the BFe will fit)
    – Tapered or 1.5″ straight head tube (so my forks will fit)
    – 26″ wheels

I’ll use it for trail riding, and probably try an enduro or two (but not seriously, I’m not enduro rider really).

I’m struggling to see past 2012 ASR 5s.

Giant Trance sounds okay (used to have an Anthem which was good), but I’d need a new Reverb (and I’m not sure about that curvy down tube for the looks). Trek Fuel EX ticks the boxes on paper I think. What have I missed?

cchris2lou

Scott Spark ?

wilko1999
    Free Member

You’ll need a new Reverb for an ASR5 too, they’re 30.9. Amazing bike though, for the amount you’re going to spend there’s no point limiting your choice based on the seat tube diameter, in my opinion!

EDIT how about a Blur TR or TRc? Same issue with the seat tube mind as they’re also 30.9

jimmy

Now then, I have a 30.9 reverb and would swap for 31.6 if comparable. You’re in Edinburgh too, right?

jimmy

Also, I had an asr5 and miss it loads already.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Bugger, I thought the Yeti was a 31.6mm post.

If I do look at a new post anyway, the SC TR could be good.

Spark seems to tick the boxes on paper too – the 2012 ones look quite tidy and suitably light. As capable as ASR5s?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Read your posts after posting that Jimmy. That could work. Maybe I should hold out for a good condition ASR5 – I’m struggling to see past them

You in a rush for a post swap?

jimmy

Nope

ks562
    Free Member

2012 Scott Spark rider here – absolutely love it but only after significant modification… nice light frame but standard dt swiss shocks are pretty poor on anything slightly techy so if you can get a second hand frame I’d change that.

Built mine up with Fox FIT120s and a Rockshox Monarch plus and it’s a little beast. Nice and light but can go downhill pretty nice. Ridden all over Torridon and Lakes no problem and a few enduros and couple of DH days too. In fairness I haven’t ridden many full suss so I am a little biased here, and being a light rider I struggled to justify anything with more than 120 travel when I demoed other bikes which is why it suits me so much.

Also some 2012 sparks look like they have a tapered head tube but in fact its straight (they fill the bottom back in!) but a hope mix and match headset sorts this and slackens the head-angle by a degree which was pretty sweet.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Jimmy – once I get a frame, happy to do a swap. Likely to be a month or two though if that suits? I’ll wait for a decent frame to come up – if I do find an ASR5, I’d rather get a newish one so I know it has the new rear triangle which seems less likely to crack.

I have a right hand remote run under bar on the left. It is 125mm drop. Does that match yours? It’s in really good condition – I’ve barely used the BFe. Cheers.

manderson
    Free Member

+1 for the asr5. I’ve had the new triangle for 2 years with no problems and upgraded to bolt thru which makes them less likely to break too. Amazing bikes

jimmy

Yes sounds comparable to mine.

stumpytrek
    Free Member

Another +1 for ASR5. Fantastic frame.

sig123
    Free Member

Loved my ASR5, now gone as every ride i couldnt get the thought of it cracking out of my mind, great frame though.

sambuka
    Free Member

Does anyone have experience of the asr5c?

bails

I love my ASR-5 (alu). The thru axle is a must for me though, I’m not heavy (65kg) but could feel the flex on the rear end. 12×142 axle has fixed that though.

mildred

Does anyone have experience of the asr5c?

I own one – what would you like to know?

sambuka
    Free Member

Have you ridden the aluminium? If so how do they compare? Is it about more than just the weight?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR 5 alternatives? (Second hand 26" full sus frame)’ is closed to new replies.