Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Yeti ASR?
  • backhander
    Free Member

The yeti site shows geometry for 100mm and 120mm forks, but would an ASR be capable of running 140mm forks?
    Any experiences of these bikes? They look nice and would probably be capable of the type of riding that I do.

badblood
    Free Member

why not go for the 575? it is designed to take a 140 and will go up to 160

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – you're really after a 575. You might find a nice, new, white 575 frame on ebay if you have a look. £1,250 or so….

Leku
    Free Member

Or the new 5" ASR?

I have an ASR running a 100mm fork. It does get quite a kicking (Switchbacks in Spain once a year) but would question how well the carbon backend would hold up. Those stays are very skinny.

Leku
    Free Member

[/url]
    £1000 for a 575 frame…..

backhander
    Free Member

Its nice but not any lighter than my 5.5EVP. Although I love it, I think I could get away with a bit less travel out back in order to save some weight. If I were to go far a bike like that, I'd but a tracer TBH but as it is, I'm looking at the spider2.
    Also I've seen one for sale at a decent price (2nd hand).
    Yes druidh, it is very nice too expensive for me though.

STATO
    Free Member

No, 140mm is getting silly for that bike. Ive got one and run 100mm on the front, i could see how 120mm might be handy for certain trails but TBH its not really the sort of bike youd want to take somewhere 140mm would be needed. The rear travel can blow through a little quickly if you hammer it and it does flex a bit too much to throw it around like you would say a new orange5 or heckler. I reckon you want a 575.

backhander
    Free Member

Thanks STATO, that's the kind of advice I was after.
    TBH I probably dont need 140mm front but have got some lovely black QR15 TALAS forks!
    Any other recommendations for a 4-5" bike that will accept 140mm forks?
    I looked at the ST4 but its the same weight as the 5 IIRC.

STATO
    Free Member

If they are TALAS id get the ASR then. 100 and 120 most of the time, 140 reserved for when you want an easier ride down somthing really rough.

Its not that the ASR isnt a capable bike, it is! ive hammered mine a hell of a lot. I just dont think it would suit riding round with 140mm all the time, it would spoil the best attributes of it, namely its responsive and fast handling nature.

backhander
    Free Member

Oooh, that does sound interesting.
    Is it OK to run TALAS forks at reduced travel for most of the time, it wont be bad for the forks?

STATO
    Free Member

er.. i dont know sorry, i think its ok tho, best check with mojo i suppose.

backhander
    Free Member

STATO,
    Having re read you comments above, would you consider this bike as sufficiently capable to rag around Afan and Cwmcarn (XC) etc?

STATO
    Free Member

Yeah yeah its fine on trail centres and stuff like that (cant remember exactly which is which as i go to scotland more than wales), what i meant was you cant expect it to ride/handle like a Orange ST4 or whatever as its designed as an XC bike not a LT-trail bike. It rocks on twisty rough/technical stuff, up-flat or down, but if your after a bike thats 'all about the downs' but can still pedal uphill then its prob not really what you want.

chakaping
    Free Member

Trance X could be worth a look, a recent thread revealed a few people using them with 140mm forks and Giants are commonly held to be a bit under forked.

backhander
    Free Member

Thanks STATO, you're a star.
    I may have to look more closely at 575's. Pretty, aren't they?

glynP
    Free Member

I have the same issue I have a spare set of 140mm Foxes that I took from my tracer and fancy the spider 2 but I dont want my two bikes to be almost the same, maybe an orange 5 or a pace 405 or wait on the new ASR 5, that might take a while though

backhander
    Free Member

I'm thinking a spider2 and an alpine 160 would be a nice pair of bike to own.

enmac
    Free Member

I have had both the ASR and the 575 and ridden the ASR with Fox Talas 100-140mm forks. The ASR is very fast and rides well most of the time but on steep downhills it is a bit steep in the head angle even with 140mm forks. I swapped it for the 575 and am much happier with it. It is still fairly light (mine weighs 27 lbs) but handles rocks and downhills so much better. The Yeti dealer said if you can't decide between an ASR and a 575 go for the 575 – he was right, I should have listened to him first time.

hicksville
    Free Member

I had a asr this may to go to the pryenees

good bike but never really liked it, for me forks at 115 ish worked best, weight wise 24lbs ish climbing was okay nothing special and descending was just okay. Before my enforced rest i used a Maverick ML7.5 far better climber and descender at 27/28lbs with Pikes, other choices for 140mm fork Turner/Chumba/Trance especially the older ones.For a very light build look at the chumba vf2

STATO
    Free Member

I find far too many people set the ASR up really firm, like a racer. Its really fast like this but very skittish. I run mine with quite a lot of sag (hence blowing through the travel a lot) but it works REALLY well at taking out all the 4" sized rocks etc. leaving me to navigate around the bigger ones if i want, rather than hanging onto a rattly bucking steed :0)

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I used Fox Float 130s on my ASR-sl but I like the slightly slacker head angle..
    Rode cross races, high speed drop-offs (up to 5 ft) at ski centres in Norway – enough to buzz the tyre on the fork crown…. Did everything with ease and the head tube remained connected!

charliemort

yeti 5

I think you may be looking for one of these……….

glynP
    Free Member

wow! when will they be available?

charliemort

who knows?

start saving is my recommendation

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR?’ is closed to new replies.