Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Yeti announcing new bike tomorrow apparently…
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I’ll wait until the 29er version comes out. Then pick up an SB95c cheap!

Stevelol
    Free Member

It’s not £995 though is it when you include shipping and taxes.

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up, but I think we all know this. It’s still interesting that Yeti are blowing frames out for their US customers though isn’t it?

DezB
    Free Member

£730 for a SB66A

You’ve made me cry 😥

honourablegeorge

chiefgrooveguru – Member

It’s nothing like a Kona Magic Link

Can I refer you to Dez’ comment above?

DezB
    Free Member

Can I refer you to Dez’ comment above?

My posts are invisible.

wrecker
    Free Member

You’ve made me cry

Sorry dude.

justinbieber

I’d be grabbing an SB66 carbon at that price… If I didn’t already have an SB66 alloy 😀

Kryton57

DezB – Member

My posts are invisible.

Who said that?

jimification
    Free Member

What’s with all these new “aggressive” bikes?!?

This is aggressive, that’s just a bike:

Steve77
    Free Member

If you live in a different US state to backcountry.com you don’t have to pay sales tax though right?

chrismac

From what I have watched/read about this then it appears that they must have started working on this either before they released the ‘old’ switch system or the next day. This suggests that they knew the ‘old’ system wasnt what it was supposed to be. So my question is, have they already started on the next version of this and if so what are the faults that they want to remove. I know a couple of people with SB66’s who are fan boys who got rid of them because of bearing issues.

AlexSimon

They mention a fault on the Bike Mag video (interview with the Yeti President and Vice President).
    http://www.bikemag.com/gear/exclusive-yeti-launches-new-switch-infinity-suspension-platform/

But I still think the licensing costs of Switch were the main driver for this.
    I kind of like the rails idea though.

obelix
    Free Member

Agreed, licencing costs more than functionality of original Switch are most likely main driver of Infinity version’s development.

Am I correct in saying that Santa Cruz first sued Yeti regarding Switch being too similar to VPP, and a settlement was reached where Yeti now pay SC a licencing fee?

Beautiful bike though, wish my financial manager (fiance) would allow me one…

AlexSimon

Am I correct in saying that Santa Cruz first sued Yeti regarding Switch being too similar to VPP, and a settlement was reached where Yeti now pay SC a licencing fee?

I haven’t heard that one before

bigjim

It’s still interesting that Yeti are blowing frames out for their US customers though isn’t it?

what do you mean blowing out? If you frequent mtbr our US chums have been struggling to find SB66’s in non-extreme sizes for months, they’ve been calling for yeti to keep making the SB66. I imagine there is still a fair bit of UK stock and no incentive to decrease prices on what is still a desirable frame despite being 26″

chiefgrooveguru
    bigjim

looks pretty sweet

daftusername
    Free Member

Dunno, think it looks pretty messy.

The two triangles don’t seem to look right together.

stewartc
    Free Member

As a Yeti fan, and past owner of a SB66c with cracked frame (my fault), I have been holding my breadth for a 650b SB66 just so I can move my components of the current Pivot Mach6 but I’m not sure about this departure from the existing switch tech.
    As a current Mach6 owner I obviously take function over form (and the SB6 is pretty up until that bit above the BB) but I am still not convinced by the Infinity Switch and will wait to see how it survives your average UK winter before jumping.
    Jared Graves could ride a tea tray around Whistler faster than me so lets see how Johhny average copes in the Scottish gloop, if it can survive that then the Hong Kong dust I am used to should be a doddle.

bigjim

SB5c under Richie Rude claims 1st on the first two stages of this weekends EWS with Graves in 2nd, not a bad start to the bike for Yeti!

JCL
    Free Member

Local track advantage for Rude but yeah fair play.

Still haven’t seen a leverage rate graph for the bike but it’s apparently linear/falling which would be a departure from the last bike.

It’s an overly complex design IMO.

Deveron53
    Free Member

BIG smiles at Yeti HQ! Everything came together in the same week. Perfect synergy between marketing, design and race team. Even Rosara Joseph got a 5th on the new SB6. There was a lot of luck involved but also a lot of faith. I reckon they’ll shift the infinity link bikes easily now… regardless of the cynics and haters. Not forgetting the armchair suspension designers.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah… I’ve been reconciling all the issues in my head over the past week, and it turns out I really want one now.

SB6c frame for less than 2.5k GBP and we’ll talk.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you live in a different US state to backcountry.com you don’t have to pay sales tax though right?

Yes and no.

Yes they might not charge tax.

But you’re still expected to declare it on your tax return and pay sales tax in your own state (which may be zero, but probably not).

Used to be that they could get away with it, but since the likes of Amazon et.al. and flat rate shipping made it possible to really take the piss they’ve cracked down, now the big retailers have agreements in each state to collect the tax up front.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

HaHaHa!

As someone who’s SB66c has just gone missing I was waiting with interest for this but like others will wait abit longer and see on the durability.

I guessing 5 million cycles on Fox’s test rig equates to 2 rides in the dark Peak!

bigjim

I think mud will indeed gather in there during a ride, which is annoying from the lugging weight around/cleaning point of view, but I see the slidey bits as mini fork stanchions, so think how your forks are fine despite having mud and water on the stanchions and sitting around the wipers most of the year. Its warrantied anyway so I’d not be worried from that point of view. Can’t afford one anyway!

Deveron53
    Free Member

Eek! Exchange rates mean nothing to importers obviously!

robbonzo
    Free Member

I really don’t see why people are having such a problem with the design. Its a rail, going 4mm in either direction, yes some mud will go in there, which will add some weight, but I dont see it being particularly temperamental to service/clean.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

because Fox have never ever had any known issues with premature wear to stanchions….oh wait!

Deveron53
    Free Member

It’s going to be a lot easier than the circular switch link to keep an eye on. You’ll see the dust/dirt wipe limits visible on the stanchions so you know it hasn’t seized. The current system has no visual clues when the link stops rotating, just a creaky sound and gradually worse rear suspension performance.

bigjim

because Fox have never ever had any known issues with premature wear to stanchions….oh wait!

have they really though? Or just internet forum “I heard that”? I’ve only ever owned RS so have no experience. I don’t believe anything anyone says on here though.

Superficial
    Free Member

HaHaHa!

Well to be fair that price (£2799) is inline with the current carbon ASR5 and SB66 so it’s not like the price has jumped with the new tech. I would imagine that 10% off is doable anyway.

I don’t see how the suspension works if the switch link doesn’t move. There aren’t enough pivots otherwise?

ratherbeintobago

I don’t see how the suspension works if the switch link doesn’t move. There aren’t enough pivots otherwise?

It does move though – slides (a bit) up and down the rails.

Superficial
    Free Member

It does move though – slides (a bit) up and down the rails.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. What I meant was – if the switch/switch infinity mechanism is jammed and therefore doesn’t move, there aren’t enough pivots to allow the suspension to move at all. If the switch technology stops working, it doesn’t simply become a single pivot.

To compress the shock, It would have to twist the linkage in ways that it’s not meant to go, either that or the whole thing locks out and doesn’t move at all.

ratherbeintobago

What I meant was – if the switch/switch infinity mechanism is jammed and therefore doesn’t move, there aren’t enough pivots to allow the suspension to move at all.

While I think you’re right, Yeti have made big play of the leverage forces being high enough that the mechanism shouldn’t jam.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah that’s what I mean. My posts were in reply to this:

It’s going to be a lot easier than the circular switch link to keep an eye on. You’ll see the dust/dirt wipe limits visible on the stanchions so you know it hasn’t seized. The current system has no visual clues when the link stops rotating, just a creaky sound and gradually worse rear suspension performance.

I have heard stories of the switch bearings eating themselves pretty quickly, but not of the mechanism itself jamming. I’m sure it could potentially become gritty / wobbly but I’m not convinced it’ll seize up. As you say, the leverage on that area is pretty massive.

robbonzo
    Free Member

If, if it stopped moving up and down the movement would come from the shock mount so it’s not like it would seize and become a death trap..

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Yeti announcing new bike tomorrow apparently…’ is closed to new replies.