Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Yeti 575 bearing replacement
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Any one done this themselves?

It's the bearings in the shock that have gone, not the main ones in the frame.

Have removed the shock and swing arm and have no idea how to get the top two out (seated in the swingarm)!

Any experience in this or will I have to resort to a bike shop!>

ta

MM

DezB
    Free Member

MM – I've done a "how-to" doc which I can dig out for you. Applies to 06 575, but should be ok for most years.
    Nice big pics and clear instructions, unlike Yeti's version!

I would recommend the bearing tool, but I've done it in the past (when I swapped the shock out) using a variety of sockets.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

That would be great, Thanks 🙂

I am sure I downloaded it when you originally posted it but I seem to have lost it. Probs on an old work machine somewhere!

Mine is the older model. First bearing change too as only used as a summer bike!

MM

DezB
    Free Member

Emailed you an invite to the share. Let me know if you get it ok.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Got it thanks 🙂

Looks like I may need a special tool though. It's the bearings in the dogbone where the centre of the bearings seems to stick out. Not seen bearings like that before.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, they are a pain, cos there's 2 bearings each side. I did do it before I had the tool but its not easy to get right – one side pushes the other out.
    You can borrow my tool if you pay the postage?

Daveb575
    Free Member

Thumbs up for DezB's guide. Used it when I replaced the bearings on my 07 model. Very clear and easy to follow. Spot on.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I may take you up on that offer if my bodge doesn't work!

So those bearings are not seated. I can hammer the old ones out through the other side?

DezB
    Free Member

Dunno about 'hammer' – press with sockets and vice/g-clamp.

(cheers Dave 🙂 )

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I used DezB's guide, but found I shattered my spoke key on the first set of main bearings. Used a big socket on the other side.

CTML
    Free Member

DezB is it possible if you could send me a copy too please. E-mail should be in profile. Thanks in advance!

DezB
    Free Member

I shattered my spoke key on the first set of main bearings

Ooops, but that was an admitted botch, cos nothing else would fit!

ygm CTML. (in a mo)

DezB
    Free Member

pic for MM –

just to show how I used a selection of nuts, bolts, washers and sockets.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Cheers. Looks like our dogbones are different.

Mine has little allen key bolts to loosen off on the part where the shock joins it so I am hoping they will come out ok. The other end looks a pain but the pic is a great help.

MM

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah – yours is like the pics in the Yeti doc (and I think the new frames have those bolts). Should make it easier (maybe 🙂 )

uplink
    Free Member

The ones with the hex bolts don't really change the process as there are quite a tight fit on the pin
    At the other end of the dog bone, I found an 11mm & 18mm socket were the perfect fit to push those out

Another guide here
    http://www.BigAndFree.com/259353

DezB
    Free Member

That's a good guide uplink. Top quality. 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I can't really rember its origin but I think that's actually a Yeti one from a couple of years back

DezB
    Free Member

If only it was. I needn't have bothered!
    It is my one.

uplink
    Free Member

There you go then – I'll steal from anyone 😀

lagerfanny
    Free Member

You can download a PDF from the Yeti site,

http://yeticycles.com/#/support/

Hope this helps

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 575 bearing replacement’ is closed to new replies.