Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Yet another fatbike, but not so fat.
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I think fatbikes look fun, although I wouldn’t cough up for one. I don’t quite get the fat, slick-ish tyre though. I would have thought fat terrain required knobbles?

If it’s just for fun, then that’s fair enough. But is there some alleged purpose?

jtsorrels
    Free Member

what is the overall diameter with these tires mounted in the rims you have?

epicyclo

About the same as a 29er.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OD is independent of rim width

jtsorrels
    Free Member

what is the actual height of these tires? 3.8″ refers to the width not the sidewall height, correct?

epicyclo

The actual dimension of the tyre depends on which rim you use with them. There’s a much wider range of rim options with fat tyres than with normal tyres – people are using from 40mm to 100mm rims.

On this bike I am using a narrow rim (40mm) which gives me a tyre width of about 83mm. I haven’t measured the height, but it has the same clearance from the fork crown as a 29er tyre (Racing Ralph), so it is of a similar height.

On a 80mm rim the tyre width would be close to 100mm, and on a 100mm rim I would expect to see it go to around 105mm. This is based on what happens with other fat tyres I have. I haven’t tried the Floyds on wider rims because I won’t be using them on wide rims.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Yet another fatbike, but not so fat.’ is closed to new replies.