Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Yet another fatbike, but not so fat.
  • epicyclo

Just built this up with a view to using it in the ‘Puffer.

Weighs 12.1kg with Surly Black Floyd* tyres.

*In the race I will use lugged tyres – probably Surly Larrys.

druidh
    Free Member

Interesting choice of bars. I’d be really keen to hear what you’ve tried and what you thought of them all..

honourablegeorge

Could you mount disc levers on those bars, I’m wondering?

Magura Julies, specifically

downs523
    Free Member

What is the purpose of these “fat”bikes I keep seeing on here, why such big tyres, what they used for?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That looks comfy for badly-surfaced roads, not seen the Black Floyd tyres before.

flow
    Free Member

I really want to ride one of these things

epicyclo

downs523 – Member
    What is the purpose of these “fat”bikes I keep seeing on here, why such big tyres, what they used for?

This sort of thing

And they will get you further through a peat bog or any soft surface than a standard bike.

Also surprising good on some technical stuff.

druidh – Member
    Interesting choice of bars. I’d be really keen to hear what you’ve tried and what you thought of them all..

I grew up riding offroad on dropbars (before mtb) so it simply feels more natural to me (especially on a singlespeed).

honourablegeorge – Member
    Could you mount disc levers on those bars, I’m wondering?

Nothing is impossible, but it would take some work – different diameter bars, and the shape of your levers would be different.

cozz
    Free Member

what rims are they – are they offset drilled

ancient
    Free Member

why dont you just buy a tractor ?

flashes
    Free Member

I too would like to know what rims and what forks?

epicyclo

I bought the rims 10 years ago in Oz for an intended overland 1,000km trip (no trails). Even then I was trying to get the widest tyres I could get. 🙂

Rims are ordinary drilling. Offset wouldn’t work because they are heavily curved. Fork is a special order – wanted it as short as possible to avoid flex. However I nearly used my On-One carbon fork for this bike because it will just fit.

ancient – Member
    why dont you just buy a tractor ?

It is a tractor, but a light, fast, nippy one. 🙂

flashes
    Free Member

OK, what size are the rims and hub.
    Nice looking steed……..

epicyclo

Ta, I can spot several things I intend to change, but first I’ll get some miles on it.

40mm rims, front hub 10 year old Shimano Deore 100mm OLD still perfect, rear hub DMR Revolver 135mm OLD singlespeed disk.

Janesy
    Free Member

26lbs for a hardtail with no Suspension or gears!?!?!?!?!? WTF why?

Ringo
    Free Member

Just because janesy

epicyclo

Janesy – Member
    26lbs for a hardtail with no Suspension or gears!?!?!?!?!? WTF why?

So I can ride on surfaces where you would be pushing or carrying.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

And they will get you further through a peat bog or any soft surface than a standard bike

SAY NO MORE …. 😆

martinxyz
    Free Member

SAY LOTS MORE!!

How about getting a ktm over the first gate you arrive at? :O)

I had a very short spin on this bike earlier today and its so light and lively. When i sit here thinking about what to write.. i can only say that it feels more normal than most 29ers that ive tried. You dont seem to notice the size of the tyres and the thing just floats along in silence.. You could drink a cup of tea riding this thing like you could happily drink a cup in the back of a rolls royce silver shadow! No spills,just thrills!

GW
    Free Member

Steve McQueen the gate 😉

epicyclo

jonnyvegas – Member
    And they will get you further through a peat bog or any soft surface than a standard bike

You’re welcome to try 🙂

I used to ride stuff like that. They’re only good for annoying ramblers and digging big holes.

GW
    Free Member

Honestly don’t understand “Surly Black Floyd* tyres.”

Care to explain Epi (or anyone else who’s used them)?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Honestly don’t understand “Surly Black Floyd* tyres.”

Care to explain Epi (or anyone else who’s used them)?

I used to use Maxxis Holy Roller tyres, which aren’t quite the same (only 2.4″) but do grip amzingly well in all but mud, people forget that most of the grip comes from the interaction between the rubber compound and the ground, the tread only makes a difference when the gound’s unstable, I’m guessing that an even bigger tyres spreads the shear stress over a larger area thus the ground is less likely to give way?

So useless in mud but grear in anything hardpacked or larger than gravel?

grum
    Free Member

I didn’t make any of those tags. ****.

epicyclo

GW – Member
    Honestly don’t understand “Surly Black Floyd* tyres.”…

They’re a new release so I thought I’d try them. Just got them.

I figured they might be good for general road and offroad gravel, and then with a drop in pressure, softer stuff. Eg, I fancy doing the Great Glen Way down to Ft Oggie, cut across the Corrieyairack, and then amble home up the old A9, or stuff like going C-C from Ardross to Ullapool and returning by road. They’re not what you’d pick for singletrack only use, but I was hoping that where are any lengthy road/dualtrack stages the gain on the swings exceeds the loss on the roundabouts.

In practise they seem good. Just done the top half of Contin and they roll nicely even on the singletrack. It felt strangely similar to my CX bike for response.. Spin out in really soft mud, but actually better than I expected. Much faster (IMO) on hardpack than lugged tyres. The smooth tread means soft ruts need more care because they like to slip back down. Lower pressures may make that easier though – I was running 20psi, and I think most people run much less in the Floyds.

However, they’ll be coming off the bike soon (until spring) and I’ll be using Larrys or BFLs for Winter.

grum – Member
    I didn’t make any of those tags. ****.

Figured that when I saw “tagged by Grum” 🙂

If this is a bike built to be niche, it’s waste of effort because there’s rarely any other riders around to be suitably awed where I’m out riding it.

It’s built to fit, built for purpose, and it won’t be seen leaning outside a cafe.

BigDummy
    Free Member

This is a very interesting bike. What are we calling it? Humungous-cross? Obese-cross? Bloater-road? 🙂

flashes
    Free Member

What gear are you running?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can’t blame anyone but yourself for your reputation grum

epicyclo

BigDummy – Member
    This is a very interesting bike. What are we calling it?…

Tractor (with acknowledgements to Ancient) 🙂

(My entry in the ‘Puffer is Square Wheels Single Speed Tractor Club)

flashes – Member
    What gear are you running?

32/20 – it’s a magic ratio, there’s no adjustment on the dropouts. Just happens to be about right for the purpose for which I built the bike.

GW
    Free Member

They’re a new release so I thought I’d try them. Just got them.

I figured…

Ah.. bought on a very expensive whim, fair enough, we all have them.. 😀
    sound like a Jack of “some” trades master of none kinda deal tho.

charliedontsurf

Black floyds. Stick em on ya fatty… Old motorcycle leathers off eBay. Full face and gloves and thumb a lift up alp duez. Get your knee down in the Switchbacks.

Or bomb around the park.

epicyclo

I’ve come to the conclusion the Floyds need to be on my geared bike, or maybe dingle speed this one.

In the last few days I’ve been poring over the map checking out distant trails. There’s lots I could ride to on the road and higher gearing for the road portion would make that more feasible.

CTBM’s idea has merit too. Be a nice ride down the A9 from the Slochd to Inverness, or Braemore on the Ullapool road. And of course there’s always Applecross – might need a fairing for extra gnarr. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Black floyds. Stick em on ya fatty… Old motorcycle leathers off eBay. Full face and gloves and thumb a lift up alp duez. Get your knee down in the Switchbacks.

and get overtaken by loads of roadies with nothing but a slither of spandex for protection (I talk from experience)

Or bomb around the park.

😕 (retarded smiley needed)

stevious

Epicyclo, your photos are making me want a fat bike more and more.

Please stop posting as I have a poorly bank account already.

sofaking
    Free Member

Epicyclo, what fork is that? doesnt look like a lot of clearance if you put a nobblier tyre on

JohnClimber
    Free Member

downs523 – Member

And this

Merseyside Fat Bike United by Johnclimber, on Flickr

Just Because by Johnclimber, on Flickr

Even though it knackers up your bottom bracket, 1500miles+ and 11 months of beaches I suppose isn’t a bad life for it’s bog standard one

flashes
    Free Member

I certainly wouldn’t want to do many road miles, my knees wouldn’t forgive me…I like the dingle idea.

charliedontsurf

“does not synchronise with the wizard of Oz”. Is written on the bead of these tyres.

Gotta love the work the surly boys do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

epi according to some on here tonight your tyres would squirm at less than 60psi and thus on Alp D’Huez YOU WOULD DIE

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

+1 for more fork details, I think you had it made from memory? What a-c and offset did you go for and how do you find it if you don’t mind me asking?

Andy

Fork looks like a chinese Ti jobby(J&L?)?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Yet another fatbike, but not so fat.’ is closed to new replies.